silent extraction

conehead

Hi all

I have a stealth loft grow and am trying to get away without any extraction due to noise concerns.

Anyone with any knowledge/advice on vvv quiet fans or setups????

really need no noise at all

Thanks in advance

Conehead

Guest Blabblabberbab

My GR is next to silent - has to be as my landlady lives directly above lol

I use an S&P TD-160 in a sealed, insulated chamber - pulling through DIY panel filter with acoustic ducting and a dodgy baffle box at the out end. If it's silent in the flat you can just about hear air moving, turn on the TV, tap or radio or anything and you never know it was there lol - check sig for pics. just added extra layer of insulating stuff behind fan as back panel of 'drobe is V thin and so let out a little noise - now it's sweet.

for your loft - maybe you could make an insulated box to place your fan in with in and out for ducting - might help....

peace,

B ;)lol

Edited by Blabblabberbab

Guest topdoggnumberone
really need no noise at all

365275[/snapback]

Not really possable.

But I had my growroom in my bedroom, but I had my fan in the loft with ducting going down through the roof into the growroom, its almost silent mate.

Probably would've been a different matter it my fan was inside my growroom but it all worked out fine in the end. I have an 5inch RVK extractor fan, does the job lovely.

I would imagine that no matter what fan you have you won't be able to hear it if its up in your loft, so just go for one that within you budget.

Edited by topdoggnumberone

Guest Red Dragon

There are lots of things to take into account when aiming for a "silent" grow room.

First of all the fans you use play a huge part in how much noise is generated.

Where possible stick with a fan designed for the job. A B&Q bathroom extractor is just not up to the job long term, and for a couple of reasons.

They're designed to move a large amount of air, quickly, and in a short space of time. Therefore they always seem to sound like a jumbo-jet taking off, especially if used with that white flimsy ducting that normally comes with a tumble dryer.

They can be made quieter, but they will never offer a true "stealth" solution.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, use an Lti, a Ruck or a S&P inline fan as these are designed to run for years at a time, (sealed bearings).

If budget allows go for an acoustic fan. If not, once your fan is fitted, encase the entire ensemble with a goodly dose of loft insulation and box it in using some cheap OSB board or even MDF. The fan will not only run a lot quieter, but the insulation will also deaden the noise of the air moving through the ducts, (surprisingly loud).

Acoustic ducting is way more expensive than normal stuff and all that differs from the regular stuff is the fact its double skinned, with a layer of (you guessed it), glass-fibre insulation between the skins.

Do it yourself for major cost savings.

Positioning of the outlet is another thing to take into account. Make sure the outlet is away from where people are likely to wander and you will be fine.

Good luck!

RD :thumsup:

Do it yourself for major cost savings.

Positioning of the outlet is another thing to take into account.  Make sure the outlet is away from where people are likely to wander and you will be fine.

Good luck!

RD  :wassnnme:

365450[/snapback]

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I guess i will have to 'suck it and see'

As far as the outlet goes it will be out my roof so no prob there!!

It is easy to become consumed with this 'growing thing' isnt it. I had forgotten about the obsession!!

CH

i had a mini stealth cabinet in my room for a while. it was silent, i used 4 silent running computer fans. but since they cant shift a huge amount of air i used a big bank of flouro tubes instead of an HPS since they wouldnt be able to get rid of the heat quick enough. since you are growing in a loft you can the hot vent air out of the top, you can buy tiles which have a hole in them (but covered with another mini tile) and a pipe coming out inside, a silent computer fan connected to one should be able to shift a bit of the heat. look at (G) on this page: http://www.goodsea.com/E3-EagleType-Accessory.htm

i have them in my loft, but no need for silence :smoke: they are at the top so they are nice and close to the lights and take out the hot air at the top. don't know how to fit them tho, they came with the house. and messing round with the roof in a grow room probably isnt a good idea.

don't know how to fit them tho, they came with the house. and messing round with the roof in a grow room probably isnt a good idea.

368886[/snapback]

Cheers rascal

in one of my other posts (link below) you can read that i did fuck around with the vent tile and i am now in the shit!!!

CH