Iws brain pot humm/vibration noise issue

photobat

Hi, 

The drain pump in my iws system is humming and driving me insane, thinking maybe the neighbour will  hear it also so I'm quietly shitting myself tbh. 

It's the noisiest thing in the room by far the vibrations reverbing through my house are making me think that my semi detached neighbours will hear it also, it causing me to stress, help please I am running out of ideas to reduce the humm. 

I have tried putting a slim piece of sponge in the brain put and under the pump, that helps a bit but then because the pump is 2 or 3mm higher it causes the lowest float switch to rise and turn the pump on, the pump can't scavinge enough water to actual pump to the res so just keeps pumping and vibrating, came home earlier and the pump was running and all hot because it should have finished its return to res 1 hour previous, 

I have 150mm acoustic insulated the joist space below,, laid 1 layer of heavy rubber crumb underlay on top of the wooden floorboards, then put 12mm osb boarding on top of that, plus 2 more layers of rubber underlay under the brain pot but I can still clealy hear the hum. It's doing my head in, any idea please as I'm running out of options, thought about bungee suspending the hole brain pot from ceiling rafters above but the full brain pot is probably 20kg and when empty will rise up on the bungees and lower itself as it tills, I would also possibly have varying or raised levels in the plant pots. 

Any help would be much appreciated!! 

They do vibrate a bit, first thing is to make sure the pump intake is not touching the bottom of bucket, that causes a right ruckus, have it positioned a couple of mm above, another is to make sure its not got air in it, pump position needs to be touching nothing except the suction cups, generally speaking pump should only run a little, on off twice a day, how noisy is the res pump?

• Like 1

The res pump is bearable, it doesn't touch the bottom or sides and I have swung the return pipe up onto the ledge that's 6 inches down from the top so the water returns onto the ledge and doesn't just fall 2fts splashing into the water below. 

The pump in the brain pot doesn't have any rubber feet, I think it did originally as I see 3 holes, I had the system second hand I think someone has ripped the rubber suchion cups off, but that said the pump outlet is on the opposite side from the inlet so if i stuck the pump to the base of the brain bucket the pump would be pumping straight up in the air and not horizontally to the return to main reservoir. Also I think the inlet grill would sit too high and not pump the water low enough and therefore the lowest float switch and subsequently the pump would be permanently activated and noisey. 

Maybe this is not how it should be from new, like I say I bought it second hand!!  Wish I could ulad my set up photos but  after 1 hour of reading I can't seem to workout how to do it via my android phone. 

Sleepless nights with this humming :wallbash:

Sorry i remember now how the pump sits, it could be that the pipe the pump is connected to is too close to the wall of the bucket, i used to push the pipe futher into the bucket, otherwise the bearings in the pump are shot that makes a noisy pump, i remember mine was noisy when it started up but once it was primed it got quieter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trichomehi said:

Sorry i remember now how the pump sits, it could be that the pipe the pump is connected to is too close to the wall of the bucket, i used to push the pipe futher into the bucket, otherwise the bearings in the pump are shot that makes a noisy pump, i remember mine was noisy when it started up but once it was primed it got quieter 

Thanks for your replies Trichomehi really thought provoking. 

Pump too close to the brain bucket side wall, good shout i never thought of that tbh but it was on a approx 4" extension adapter piece that adapted the newa jet 1200 out let to the pipe fitting size. Therefore the pump was centralish. And on a sponge to keep it just off of the bottom of the brain bucket. 

Sounds like you have had your pump connected directly to the incoming rubber piping instead of using the straight coupler? I have just been setting up that way, I now have the incoming return to res pipe coming in at low level then doing 270 degree loop and plugging onto the pump outlet on the top of the pump, the pump is now stuck down to the base of the brain pot with suction feet, doesn't sound much better tbh. 

I'm thinking that I will try a set up with the pump suspended in the air on bungees and only have the sucking pipe going into to brain bucket, thing is I'm not sure if the pump will overheat with not being sat in water!! 

• Like 1