Need advice from an electrician....

dan6

Greetings to anyone reading this. I have an Electrical Condition Installation Report coming up in my rented house. I'm going to have to dismantle my growroom which is in a garage attached to the house.

I have accepted this with a heavy heart but the silver lining is that I intend to build a better one in it's place once the report and remedial work is done. I will also finally have a normal consumer unit. The one I have now is

an actual fossil! It's mounted on wood signed by the bloke that installed it - in 1939 :scared:. Anyway, in the garage is a single lonely double socket that Ive been running my grow off (along with a few extension leads running from the house).

I want the electricians to put another 2 double sockets in the garage but I'm not really sure what to say if they ask me what I intend to run off them (power wise) I was going to say that I need a couple of freezers for a food business but the garage

is freezing and damp so not sure if I'm even allowed to run anything like that.

Any ideas what I could say I intend to use all those sockets for?

Thanks for any replies

Dan

Just say you are into woodworking as a hobby and need a few sockets on a ring main not a spur to plug your equipment you are having to move from your mates, any old bull really but i would ask for it on a ring, overkill probably but better safe 

• Like 1

Say you want an electric heater but you don't want to run it off an extension as you've heard it's not safe.

The consumer unit sounds like my one lol 

• Like 1

Nothing unusual in asking for power to a garage. As others have said, seperate ring/fuse, but this would be fairly standard practice. And ask for just one double and add more later yourself if worried. 5 m job.

• Like 1

As others have said - we don't care why you want the power, just where you want the sockets. I'd be worrying more about where your water and gas come into the house, because your bonding will need upgrading when the board is done too.

Nothing unusual about wanting a socket in your garage or anywhere is there now?

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I'd like to bump this thread, rather than start another, if that's OK. I have a simple query really!

I have an old, bust up mobile home, and it has a switchboard. The switchboard is wired to my house switchboard with a big blue round plug, and a heavy duty lead.I was going to get an electrician to wire a few sockets in a room that's more of a shed/basement area than a proper room. Then I thought it might be as easy to get an extension lead for the round pin socket, one that has several household sockets on the other end. I could just run the lead over the walls and use it like normal sockets, or could I ? I saw an electric hook up for camping ,it has a round pin plug, and linked to three standard sockets with a small switchboard. Is that better, or necessary? Thanks for reading. 

There is a fella @Diddy(Proper Electrician) on here who knows his stuff, you will need to know the wattage of all the equipment you intend to run.

Don’t risk taking advice off someone who says they have got away with doing there own ad-hoc set up.

• Like 2

@Michael Luchóg As above really. if the total load is less than 13 amps then it isn't a problem. BUT I don't like it lol . Means f-all but I hate extension leads of any type. As for the plug you describe. Assuming you are in UK then Blue = 240v And Yellow = 110v the cable will be rated to easily cope with 13 amps....did I mention i didn't like it ? lol

There are also 2 sizes of Blue and yellow plugs Those sizes are rated in amps. Id assume that the socket you have would require would be the 16amp version.

OH BTW they are called commando plugs and commando sockets. So search for them as opposed to caravan hookup - probably cheaper without the word caravan lol

• Like 1

Thanks fellas @Diddy , @Giggles .

Sure, it isn't as tidy but I haven't the hands or knowledge. Today I was rummaging around and found heaps of electrical stuff, sockets, dimmer switches, LED ceiling lights, reels of cable, leftovers. I found a lead for a generator with the round pin plug ,only one socket on the end. So, assuming all is well, and there'll be only the same load or less than the mobile home used, I think I'll run with that and go for an extension lead off an extension lead!