Flushing during growth period

SmokeTester

I know about flushing before harvest, I usually do this.

But what about flushing during veg and bloom i.e. pouring on excusive amount of week nutrient solution then removing and disposing of all the runoff.

I think the idea is to flush undissolved salts out of the root ball.

I have been growing in coco for about 3 years without doing this and it does seem a bit of a faff.

Should I make the effort?

• Like 1

@SmokeTester I have not tried Coco yet; currently do DWC.

To answer your question about flushing as for DWC; I flush almost every time I do a nutrients change.

She seems to respond better to new nutrients solution upon all the old solution is washed away.

I am far from an expert, but flushing DWC regularly works for me.

All I can say is check out some of my images and you will see the results.

Keep on smiling,

Bud Buddy

• Like 1

This is what flushing regularly does for me.

I only use 250 ppm Cal-Mag for the first 5 week; and start the grow/flowering nutrients around week 6 when I switch her to flower 12/12 cycle.

large.5f81bd30ea119_WBIP-HSO-GC-BB-9-26a-20.jpglarge.5f81bd3340301_WBIP-HSO-GC-BB-9-29-20.jpglarge.5f81bd35dbdff_WBIP-HSO-GC-BB-9-29e-20.jpglarge.5f81bd3802f3a_WBIP-HSO-GC-BB-10.05-20.jpglarge.5f81bd38e1ce4_WBIP-HSO-GC-BB-10.06-20.jpg

• Like 1

dwc or rdwc grows monsters....quickly. IF you can get the nutes right, IF the roots dont get rot and IF you have the time and knowledge to constantly check all the shit.......great way to grow but painful.

I once got almost 18 oz off of one plant in DWC!

• Like 1

Your right @thedemon 100% correct. 

It can be, this is the medium I started with and I am starting to get a clue of my own growing style currently. 

I have plants in another medium (soil); thing about trying organic.

But back to DWC, I am able to check my plants twice a day, after lights on and before light off.

Normally 5 minutes or less per visit. 

I run in a 5 gallon bucket, so just over 3 1/2 gallons of solution.

So I check  for the level in the bucket the nutrient ppm's and ph or any surprise issues.

Sorry @SmokeTester did not mean to hi-jack your thread.

• Like 1

Thanks catwazel, 'if it ain't broke' is usually good advice.

The reason I have started thinking about it is, i have up till now grown fast flowering strains, a lot of c99, for my next grow i am going to attempt something a bit more sativa, a 10-12 week'er. And I don't want any root problems.

14 minutes ago, SmokeTester said:

Thanks catwazel, 'if it ain't broke' is usually good advice.

The reason I have started thinking about it is, i have up till now grown fast flowering strains, a lot of c99, for my next grow i am going to attempt something a bit more sativa, a 10-12 week'er. And I don't want any root problems.

As long as you do a good runoff, everything should be fine. I only flush if my runoff ec goesway over the top, which only happens to me when I get lazy watering  in hot weather, with it evaporating more than normal. I use airpots and they can dry out pretty quickly in hot, dry conditions.

Edited by catweazle1

@catweazle1Totally with you on the evaporation thing, especially in the early stages when the plant is small and not taking in so much. I learned that one the hard way :doh:

• Like 1