Vaping vs smoking -pesticides

joba

Greetings,

I was gifted some nice cali bud Mimoza,looks nice and hard but I am worried it could contain pesticides or possibly heavy metals as I am using volcano but getting a 'throat' hit there too.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding this? Vaping is better I am aware of this but just wondering if you get those pesticidies even when vaping at 180C for example.

I think this kind of bud is what didn't meet the dispensary testing standarts,I would never buy this at this price anyway

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joba said:

I think this kind of bud is what didn't meet the dispensary testing standarts,I would never buy this at this price anyway

You want to be looking at safety data sheets for stuff like Abermectin, Chlormequat Chloride, Paclobutrazol, Myclobutanil. There is a list of "california banned pesiticides for cannabis" (highlight that with the quotes and right click hit search on google) and then go from there to find safety data sheets, melting points, conversions etc. I do know that Paclobutrazol, for example, converts to cynanide (might even be nitrogen cyanide if that sounds right?) under heating conditions, which is what makes it alright to use on food crops (yeah right) like apple trees in the EU, but not combustable products like tobacco or cannabis.

Not gonna get into the whole grow your own thing. You don't need me telling you to suck eggs lol

• Like 2

Yo Joba. Id guess so but @Graywolf is probably a good bet to ask.. I think half or more of the 'cali bud' we get over here is fake tbh, but yeah I've thought the same thing (that what we do get is probably often their B grade)..

• Like 2

@GSZZ

this is first bud in probably  years I didn't do myself ,for this very reason.I know lot of guys using banned Abimectin even in flower in the UK pretty normall at commercial level,I overheard one lad laughing once when in my grow shop when the shop owner told him it mutates DNA in cocroaches-basicaly doesn't even smoke his own product all for cash and buy something else....so doesn't care but isn't going to loose crop half way through becasue of fucking mites

this is the sad reality hence I am here a member 10 years

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, uBercaMeL said:

Yo Joba. Id guess so but @Graywolf is probably a good bet to ask.. I think half or more of the 'cali bud' we get over here is fake tbh, but yeah I've thought the same thing (that what we do get is probably often their B grade)..

it came from cali this but I am not impressed actually paranoid a bit

• Like 1

@joba I knew that was the case mate which is why I said I'm not gonna tell you to suck eggs. I know for a fact if you're buying weed its cos you've had to. I've been in the same situation now for nearly 2 years since my bust, waiting for court and suspended sentences to fuck off before I can sink my teeth back in.

I hope that things turn round for you soon mate and you get back chonging on the homegrown.

4 minutes ago, joba said:

,I overheard one lad laughing once when in my grow shop when the shop owner told him it mutates DNA in cocroaches-basicaly doesn't even smoke his own product all for cash and buy something else....so doesn't care but isn't going to loose crop half way through becasue of fucking mites

I've worked in the industry for 11 years... "I don't smoke that shit" is like the chorus of the dickhead.

• Like 5

@GSZZ

I have my bud thankfully,it was a gift from a friend so having some respect towards it as he paid for it himself,also it isn't like I have once of it,3g only but still cautious

• Like 2

A few years ago I lived in California.

They have some of the most wonderful buds you have ever seen in your life. But they also have crap, lots of crap.

Weed that when you smoke it ash doesn't form, just a long hard worm.

Weed that when you see it, it just doesn't look right.

Lots of grow shops selling only organic products, but some even selling banned chemicals. Stuff that was never meant to be smoked.

There are many wonderful growers over there, but there are many more awful horrible people only in it for the money.

If you didn't import it yourself how can you really know where it came from?

But with saying that most of us on here have smoked ounces of soap bar in our lives.

I would guess the 1/8th that you have will be ok.

But like others have said, take it easy on the weed you have to buy.

Get yourself a grow on.

• Like 1

Given California's history with pesticides (most notably the spraying of Malathion by helicopter to protect their orange crops from the Mediterranean fruit fly - I was in LA during that period and got caught in the spraying, it was like the Ride of the Valkyries scene from Apocalypse Now), and more widely the US rules on the use of chemicals in farming (or, more accurately, the lack of them) I'd be dubious of any Californian weed to be honest. American agriculture is a Frankenstein industry where profit matters more than public health and I'm sure that a lot of the weed grown there is grown with the same attitude, cos behind the friendly hippy marketing it's all about the money.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Boojum said:

Given California's history with pesticides (most notably the spraying of Malathion by helicopter to protect their orange crops from the Mediterranean fruit fly - I was in LA during that period and got caught in the spraying, it was like the Ride of the Valkyries scene from Apocalypse Now), and more widely the US rules on the use of chemicals in farming (or, more accurately, the lack of them) I'd be dubious of any Californian weed to be honest. American agriculture is a Frankenstein industry where profit matters more than public health and I'm sure that a lot of the weed grown there is grown with the same attitude, cos behind the friendly hippy marketing it's all about the money.

What we found when we legalized the Oregon market for cannabis products, and regulated testing, is that it was not uncommon to find residual pesticides, heavy metals, and with concentrates, residual solvents.  Regulation forced those products off the dispensary shelves, but sadly not out of the market place.  Southern Oregon and northern California share the Green Triangle producing world class cannabis, so I infer the same is true of the California market.

Buying on the black market is always iffy, even though it also produces some pristine museum quality product as well.  The point is that no one is checking, so not everyone plays by the rules.

No one was checking before legalization and regulation, and some of us smoked that material since the late 60's with only facial tics, so seemingly it is somewhat like playing Russian roulette.  There also have not been a rash of hospitalizations from consuming pesticide laden product, nor any health alerts on the subject, so I infer health issues have not been rampant.

You've touched on an issue of concern, and one that I personally addressed by either growing my own or limiting my consumption to known professionally grown sources.  Prior to 2007 I took my chances on the black market and suffered through enough garbage at sometimes stupid prices, that I got my medical cannabis card, allowing me to produce my own and introducing me to professionals.   

As to the question of whether material contaminated with pesticides is safe to vape, my best guess is that it may reduce the issue, but not remediate it.  If you extracted the concentrate, you could ostensibly remove the pesticides and heavy metals using column chromatography.

• Like 4

Thank you @Graywolf ,only had 3g and it is gone now:-) changed the volcano bag and the throat hit wasn't there

It is mad,I am sure many if they got the the  'cali shit' woudn't be asking this but after my health problems in the past I don't want to take any chances and want to help others to make educated choises

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

A few years ago I lived in California.

They have some of the most wonderful buds you have ever seen in your life. But they also have crap, lots of crap.

Weed that when you smoke it ash doesn't form, just a long hard worm.

Weed that when you see it, it just doesn't look right.

Lots of grow shops selling only organic products, but some even selling banned chemicals. Stuff that was never meant to be smoked.

There are many wonderful growers over there, but there are many more awful horrible people only in it for the money.

If you didn't import it yourself how can you really know where it came from?

But with saying that most of us on here have smoked ounces of soap bar in our lives.

I would guess the 1/8th that you have will be ok.

But like others have said, take it easy on the weed you have to buy.

Get yourself a grow on.

It is a family friend and he ordered himself,can't go into detail due to rules,I would never personally paid these daft prices but runned out and wanted to try something else for few days and this is all I could get...  Might sound spoiled but after couple of bags my head started to go into overdrive:sweaty:

I do not smoke anymore, but he said the ash is as it should be

Think this thread just highlighted the importance knowing what's in your final product and how can you controll it if you don't make your own? maybe trusted mate but I don't have any who grow unfortunately.

went down the memmory lane a bit,into my childhood and I remember my grandad spraying apple trees as he was a keen gardener but also he was working with heavy metals in melting industry back in the 60'-80's in easter block.He always was saying to me don't be picking those rasberries near the road,maybe 10 cars and 2 busses drove past the house a day but he knew the dangers of led.

I remmember getting drunk with my dealer when I was 17 he was in his 40's and how it all stated back home and how they used some hormon banned chemical from soviet union times and increased the yields and fall out with his dad who helped him to grow it over money in the end....

@Graywolf

if you make oil from contaminated bud being pesticides or heavy metals left over how much does it come to to final product?is it on much smaller scale? I imagine the trichomes shoudn't have much in them,most is in the plant material-the left overs.

Thank you for all the info you contributed to this site and myself when I was learning how to make my own oil

• Like 2

Dispensarys differ so much!

Some of the classy ones with a good reputation have great lab work and their weed is usually good.

Some places look great but have a mediocre weed and charge high prices for it.

We drove up highway one slowly from San Francisco stopping to buy a gram here and there, we found ourselves in Oregan So I went in search of a dispensary and when looking at the new one in town a local walked up to me and told me to go to club Soc eye instead, it's where the locals go, drive over the river and take a right you carn't miss it.

So we drove over the river, turned right and you saw a hand painted CND sign and a old cabin that said Club Soc Eye on it, you could smell the weed from the parking lot, it was a clap board house in need of repair It looked like it had been painted by hippies on acid. It was full of hippies and just jars full of weed, the jars all had masking tape on them with strain details, indoor or outdoor and a name in small writing.

I asked what the name was and I was told it was the grower, they would only buy from local guys and the deal was that they could come on by and inspect the plants any time they wanted to, to make sure the quality was still there and they weren't useing any chemicals.

All the weed was organic, all from people they trusted.

I asked about a indica strain and a guy at the back shouted "Don't buy that it's garbage!" and laughed.

The bud tender said "Shut up Tom." and pointed to the jar where it said Tom on it.

We both smiled, I looked at Tom and said "If smoking that stuff makes you end up like Tom.... I'll only have a gram." So I ordered a couple more grams of other stuff and went on my way.

It was a nice smoke, smooth and a good evenings smoke.

For me it's not about fancy packaging or the latest strain. It's about a quality product grown healthily and with love.

You can always roll another doobie or take another vape if it is not strong enough.

• Like 3