Light for seedlings

laughing_buddha

Hi, I've not grown for a while but decided last night I'd set my tent up in the spare room and get one on the go. I've got some seeds from a couple of years ago that I'd like to try and germinate and start vegging whilst I get all my other gear together.

Can anybody reccomend a vegging light to use?

I've been having a look and there seems a few options, the ones that stand out are either

T5 2 x 2ft 48w tube

or

125w maxibright CFL.

Could anybody tell me the pro's and con's of each?

How long can I keep seedlings under these until switching to a 600w HPS?

Thanks

• Like 1

marshydro ts 3000 has a dimmer switch that will dim till it goes off, nice and gentle for seedlings higher for veging and pure magic on full power for flowering.

marshydro is a bit over budget for me right now, I'm looking for something cheap and cheerful.

I'm thinking of doing 4 plants and scrogging them in a 1.2x1.2m tent.

Will a T5 2 x 2ft be sufficent or better to get 4 x 2ft?

I use a CFL for veg I’ve put 5 under it and have vegged for 6 weeks and also 8 weeks they’ll grow abit slower than if they were put under a hps for veg but it’s worked a treat for me lol 

T5 is best but I have done them under 250s and 600s when in not had the room  just don't have a 600 straight over them I had a lot of shade from leaf 

I use t5 2ft 4 tube from germination up until week 2/3 or till I have no more space under the t5, it sets the structure and some nice tight node spacing... once outgrown they go under 400/600w metal halides until flip, sometimes il add a couple hps in during veg to help mix the spectrum up abit but I ALWAYS veg under blue light if I want them nice tight bushy plants. 

Either of those lights will be fine for the first couple of weeks, if you go for the cfl, i'd pick the blue one. Make sure you keep them real close, neither of those lights will have much penetration (which doesn't matter for tiny plants). Just the physical size of the T5 unit will mean better coverage than the cfl

Great thanks, I'm going to order a T5 light now, I'll use that for 2-3 weeks then use a 600W HPS from there as budget is tight.