Keep original plants from seeds for mums or is it ok to keep the offspring as mums?

I’m starting a pheno hunt with a couple of strains. Is it better to keep the original plants that grew from seed as mums or can I use clones taken from those plants as mums? It would be quicker overall to do the latter, but I want to preserve the genetic qualities of the strain as best as possible.

Just now, Owderb said:

Take clones off the seed plants then flower the seed plants

Owd 

Cheers for the info, can I ask why? There’s so much conflicting info on this - some say the clones from the original seed plants have more vigour & others say it doesn’t matter. 

25 minutes ago, Mips said:

Cheers for the info, can I ask why? There’s so much conflicting info on this - some say the clones from the original seed plants have more vigour & others say it doesn’t matter. 

I've taken clone from clone for years to preserve a strain with no issues, until the door came off that is..:police:.otherwise I'd still have it....

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I've taken clone from clone for years to preserve a strain with no issues, until the door came off that is..:police:.otherwise I'd still have it....

Interesting - is there a name for each subsequent ‘generation’ of cutting? Say like in breeding where they have F1, F2 etc? Excuse my ignorance, I can grow, but have gaps of knowledge here & there..

Another reason is that there's more gibbrelic acid in a seed plant and it will normally stretch more than the clone and because of this the clone will give you a better representation of the plant

Owd

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Another reason is that there's more gibbrelic acid in a seed plant and it will normally stretch more than the clone and because of this the clone will give you a better representation of the plant

Owd

How can a clone have a different biological structure to it's source?  Surely by the definition of a "clone" they are identical?

I'd keep the seed mum, in case the clone was fucked up in process, altering it's pheno expression, interesting if I've been thinking wrong tho.,..

12 minutes ago, unity said:

How can a clone have a different biological structure to it's source?  Surely by the definition of a "clone" they are identical?

There is more gibbrelic acid in the seed so a seed plant will normally stretch more than the clone will

Over the years we've had quite a few folk on here say my clones surprised me and didn't stretch like the original seed plant and that is why

Owd

• Like 4
8 hours ago, unity said:

I'd keep the seed mum, in case the clone was fucked up in process, altering it's pheno expression, interesting if I've been thinking wrong tho.,..

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110804212931.htm 

This is quite interesting.

• Like 2

It is odd that there’s a significant section of the growing community that swear that using the seed plant as a mum will give more vigorous plants. I even got told this by Uri at the cannabis college in Amsterdam, who I think is the breeder behind Karma genetics. Maybe it’s something that’s be significant if you’re a breeder but the difference isn’t worth worrying about for the average grower.

Edited by Mips

we have had this discussion before on here, i have personally seen a few clones that if kept cloning from clones, then grew out and cloned again they loose some vigor, and i have a mate that runs a purple kush, that has got loss of vigor, and its due to him not keeping a mum for as long as poss, and just cloning from clones, without picking the most vigorous clones for mums, and keeping it growing as long as poss as a bonsai mum. bonsai mums if kept properly and root pruned,can grow for years. seaweed extract is best for mums as it gives the micro nutrients that mums need to keep growing healthy and green. 

thats just my 2p on it like. :yep:

• Like 2
On 10/4/2020 at 0:17 PM, stu914 said:

Batards! Unlucky mate

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

Here's my advice mate.. Even though you've bought 5 seeds of the same variety they can still show different traits from what the genetic line was. So.. I'd grow all 5 and just before you flip to 12/12 take a cutting from each and them keep them as mothers (make sure you label or number the plant it came off). When the originals have flowered, pick the best one and save the clone you previously done as a mother.  

I have a chocolate stardawg still by doing that