Using silicons as pH up and down?

doominik

Hi

I have 2 silica additives now: one is plan magic that pushes pH right up and the other is buddhas tree-makes pH go down. 

My idea is to just use them to adjust pH im my water tank.

Question is: can they be used at the same feed? can I use them together? or they might react with each other?

Why do you need any silica additives would be my question. Ive not needed to use any in nigh on 25 years of growing and if I want my ph lowering I use ph down and if it wants highering I'd be looking at changing nutrients

Owd

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Why do you need any silica additives would be my question. Ive not needed to use any in nigh on 25 years of growing and if I want my ph lowering I use ph down and if it wants highering I'd be looking at changing nutrients

Owd

I grow in hydro and i find that silicone makes steam stronger. I had problem with plants breaking under their own weight when not using it. Other thing is i have been advised that it helps with mold prevention. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doominik said:

plants breaking under their own weight when not using it.

Treat them like children and support them.

Don’t go to mcDonalds for their food. :yep:

• Like 3

My thought is that I don't think it's suitable for pH control because you can add too much and its effects on the other nutes can be unpredictable. You had a rising pH problem with the silicate version, I would stick with the Buddha's Tree version, which should be be more manageable if it's acidic.

• Like 1

i use it in hydro too, and it definitely benefits the plants. 

i only use the growth technology stuff tho, it works well as a ph up, but its better to dose it than use it to remedy ph problems.

in other words, add your nutes, and  add your silicone, at the rate you want them to have, then  let it stabilise.

then ph down if needed, with ph down.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2