Ecothrive coco with charge EC

dell99

hi all im useing Ecothrive coco with charge  and im feeding at 0.9 ec but its coming out the bottom at 1,9 ec is this normal with this coco eg do you feed at normal ec levels like 1.2 or do you have to weak feed them ?

@Marky1000 Plant food is made from salt, so when the pot dries up a little bit the salt loses its vessel of water and concentrates in the pot. The next time you add nutrient solution the salt regains the vessel of water and increases the concentration in the run off, thus giving the high reading. The only other time this happens is when you overfeed, and considering our man is going in at 0.9 ec its pretty safe to say he isn't over feeding.

• Like 14

On 26/09/2020 at 2:36 PM, GSZZ said:

@Marky1000 Plant food is made from salt, so when the pot dries up a little bit the salt loses its vessel of water and concentrates in the pot. The next time you add nutrient solution the salt regains the vessel of water and increases the concentration in the run off, thus giving the high reading. The only other time this happens is when you overfeed, and considering our man is going in at 0.9 ec its pretty safe to say he isn't over feeding.

@GSZZlarge.IMG_9369.jpg

I am currently on day 6 of my first run in coco running the same media ( eco thrive with charge ) all plants are on first leaves and i am now on day 2 of feeding them 0.8-1.0 EC at 5.8ph using 3ml per litre of rhyzotonic and 1ml per litre of canna a&b. For information purposes im currently using Tap water that comes out at 0.6 EC and 7.5 ph, my run of today (day2) i was getting 2.0 EC on a few and most of them around 1.4-1.6 EC. They are being fed once a day currently in 10cm x 10cm small black pots and fed around 90ml to run of. does this sound normal or should i adjust to a lower feed or even increase the amount of feeds. 

Edited by Danco

@Danco I would just feed 0.8 if your water is 0.6 and up it next week to 0.9.  I would not water everyday. I do let them dry out a tiny bit. But obviously not bone dry. 

I started my last cuttings at 0.9 at they look amazing but are much bigger than your plants. My water comes out at 0.2 .

How they looking now.

@GSZZ ^^^ 

30 minutes ago, Marky1000 said:

@Danco I would just feed 0.8 if your water is 0.6 and up it next week to 0.9.  I would not water everyday. I do let them dry out a tiny bit. But obviously not bone dry. 

I started my last cuttings at 0.9 at they look amazing but are much bigger than your plants. My water comes out at 0.2 .

How they looking now.

@GSZZ ^^^ 

@Marky1000 yesterday I fed them normal tap water with 1ml canna a&b and 3ml rhyzo which brought me up to 1.0 EC Then I diluted solution down to 0.8 E.C and ph’d to 5.8 again and fed them 120ml to get a bit more run of. The E.C did drop a little on some of them,  Today though I have brought some spring water as it’s E.C is 0.2 and I can reference the levels of calcium and magnesium from this rather than guessing with my tap water. This also gave me more room to actualy give the plants a bit more nutrients so I did 1.5ml a&b with 4ml rhyzo and this dropped me bang on 0.8 E.C then ph down to 5.8. I will feed them after lights on today at around 8 with 120ml with a good run of and do this for the next few days to see if this levels them out and then go from there. Does this sound like I’m going down the right route or would you suggest any other adjustments? Appreciate the input. Will upload some more photos at lights on :yep:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marky1000 said:

@Danco you should start a grow dairy m8.  Loads of people will help you along then .

@Marky1000Already got one going mate it’s up as “4x2 drain room waste diary” just thought I’d give a comment in this thread as it was relevant to my own situation. Sorry @dell99 :skin_up:

Edited by Danco
  • Like 1

@Marky1000 here's the link mate just uploaded new update and pictures :geek: also @dell99 if you would like to see how i get on with the adjustments to the nutrients and issues with the E.C like your self. or even if you manage to correct the issue yourself then give me a shout and let me no :skin_up: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Old thread but the problem is the coco itself. The eco thrive 70 30 coco comes very very hot. Get a run off of the coco itself and you will see that the run off comes out at between 2.2 ec and 2.4. I've had nothing but trouble using this coco. I would flush so what's coming out is 0.8 ec then go from there. 

• Like 1

@The-green-shark im using the ecothrive coco lite and it is for sure way to hot for any cannabis plant with a high ec2.4 here. Burnt a load of seedlings and some young plants. I had to rinse it out to get the ec down to 0.7 which took fucking ages but all has been corrected now.

Toke...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

@The-green-shark im using the ecothrive coco lite and it is for sure way to hot for any cannabis plant with a high ec2.4 here. Burnt a load of seedlings and some young plants. I had to rinse it out to get the ec down to 0.7 which took fucking ages but all has been corrected now.

Toke...

The silly thing is mate about 2.5 years ago I used it with exactly the same issues and I completely forgot.  Its cost me more than time before! They need to recall it off the shelves really and do something about it. Imagine a beginner buying it and not realising what the hell is going on. Glad someone else is experiencing the same issue with it. It's not just a dodgy batch, it's just what the product is, hot! 

• Like 3