My Shed Build

mrjim

Hey all.

In this thread I'm going to update my progress of my new shed grow room build. I will show as much progress as possible, how and why I've done what I have with plenty of photos.

I'm a carpenter by trade with plenty of general building knowledge but input is always welcomed! Especially any tips grow room wise that people might see as we get into it.

So onto the shed, the overall floor area is around 9ft x 12ft and I will be cutting that down to roughly 9ft x 5ft. That space will then get reduced again to make a storage cupboard ar one side. Overall grow room size will end up at around 6ft x 5ft.

Right now I have just an empty shell. I have just bitumen painted floor slabs to help prevent any rising damp.

Next job is the insulation which will be here sometime next week. I've gone for a celotex board type of insulation, foil backed. I want a total of 100mm but I am going for 2 layers of 50mm over the single layer of thicker. The shed is built with 50mm timber studs and this way I can put it between the studs and then another layer over the top.
After that there will be wood boards fixed on top to create the rooms with walls that I can attach things to.

Feel free to ask any questions or jump in with advice and ideas!

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, mrjim said:

advice and ideas!

Hi bud,

I've recently completed and documented a shed build, no pics sorry. If you'd like to check it out there might be something in there that helps you...

atb  :oldtoker:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mrjim said:

do you have a link to the thread? I

It's under title 'shed build' on July 18th this year...sorry bud I'm hopeless with links and stuff but that should get you to it...:yep:

• Like 1

What will you use to insulate the floor? Any thoughts on what type of lighting you are going to use? I think even with insulation it will be cold in winter and possibly hot in summer. I'd wait until the last minute to decide on lighting myself, check out what temp the room runs at once the extraction is going.

Best of luck with it, it's a nice sized space :thisbig: 

21 hours ago, Greenthumbgardener said:

Locked in to follow this. My interest piqued when you said Carpenter by trade not a mere "chippy" lol 

Haha! I've been known as a woodbutcher in the past but have elevated myself as the years have gone by!

21 hours ago, KC said:

What will you use to insulate the floor? Any thoughts on what type of lighting you are going to use? I think even with insulation it will be cold in winter and possibly hot in summer. I'd wait until the last minute to decide on lighting myself, check out what temp the room runs at once the extraction is going.

Best of luck with it, it's a nice sized space :thisbig: 

Insulation for the floor - none. But what I am going to do is raise my growing area off the ground slightly. I was originally planning on putting some timbers and wood flooring down over the whole area but it seemed a waste. So I'm going to build a small raised area and insulate that with the same stuff as the rest.

Lighting wise I have a 600w HID that I have used previously. I think that will be perfect in the winter months for keeping it warm. I'm looking into the LEDs to maybe switch in the summer if it's needed. Temps will probably be an issue occasionally but hopefully it's something I can keep pretty good control of! 

• Like 1