Another LED post - 2x4 | 3x3 | 3x5 area Question's

Cosmic Hedgehog

Hello Everyone, I hope everyone is high and well.

I was wondering if I could pick your brains and hear some peoples views and opinions on some equipment for a first time setup

I’m looking to get good some quality bud for personal use with a decent yield to make it worth time/money (even though I know it will be anyway)

I would be happy with about 16oz+ from 2-4 decent sized plants or maybe 2 decent size and a few smaller ones to experiment with!

I know it’s gunna cost a fair bit to do it right so I don’t wanna be wasting any money on anything and I’m not a millionaire yet either so I’m trying to do it on a bit of a budget.

I did a post regarding questions about my tent options here http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/411454-2x4-3x3-3x5-grow-tent-questions/

• Lights -

I keep getting drawn back to the Mars Hydro TSL2000 to put in the DR150W tent-  loads of reasons for this including the vast amount of videos and information on them (grow diarys and perfected hanging sizes etc), buds & yields look quality, the price isn’t too bad & The PPFD seems pretty good to me (but what do I know) 

Guy in the local shop reckons they are wank (along with very few people on the net) he says I should go for the MaxiBright 300 which looks same as the Lumitek Attis300w but I can’t find any reviews on them plus they are £375 and I would need 2 for the 3x5ft tent innit?!

1 -  Would the VipraSpectra P600 P600https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/184416070854?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=184416070854&targetid=939009506546&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046357&poi=&campaignid=10204071489&mkgroupid=107296306292&rlsatarget=aud-629407026865:pla-939009506546&abcId=1145987&merchantid=6995734&gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQgAVDuC3LifiUi1Z5iYc_oziJibh4-FS-wdlbOFraiZtb0NkNs8PexoC-I8QAvD_BwE

Running next to the MarsHydro TSL2000 in the 3x5 be any good and worth it to get some extra light at the edge for some autos or small 1’s there.

2 - Will it be better to just to get a custom built quantum board or cobs at the start for long run 

or is it gunna be a massive price difference in the lighting when I could get a few decent years out of the budgets learn it 1st hand before I upgrade parting all the cash at once?

also just incase I find out I’m proper shit and can’t do it.:unsure:

3- Are more expensive led’s gunna be worth it in this sort of tent size, is it mainly for the side PPFD reach? (because these TSL2000’s look like they give off enough photons for decent yields but their side coverage isn’t the best)  can you tell me whats gunna be the difference in the doubled priced lights? 

Any input, advice will be greatly appreciated it's doin' my head in now constantly looking around the net, asking forums is my last resort before I take the plunge

Many Thanks 

(also in return for any advice, If anyone has any questions regarding growing / identifying Psilocybin Mushrooms I should be able to help out a bit, you can send us a message (nothing for sale though lol)

Edited by Cosmic Hedgehog
  • Like 1

Are you definitely set on leds ? Hps will be cheaper and possibly easier for your first grow, 600w hps will do 16+ oz pretty easily In a 1m square tent with 4 plants.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cosmic Hedgehog said:

Any input,

Hi bud and welcome, have a chat with Adam or Craig @diyleduk and they'll do you the best deal on the net for leds.

HPS are tried and tested and will produce, but if you can afford decent leds they will out-perform them for quantity and quality.

Good Luck

:oldtoker:

• Like 5

Go HPS (600w will smash your yeild needs) or build your own LED strip light to your budget (most more expensive LED are this made to look nicer), both will be much better than the marshydro or the vipraspectra both are terrible brands imo (also spider farmer is marshydro aswell) that constantly lie in their claims.

Edited by WhyNotEyy
Clarification
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cosmic Hedgehog said:

I did consider HPS at the beginning and again now

I will send DIYLED a message though and see if I can afford top LEDs

You can't message until you have 50 posts bud, if you post what your plans are he will pick up a tag ... @diyleduk....:yep:

also have a look at migros youtube channel, hes always reviewing leds, and seems like an honest guy.

if you are shopping tho, id be more tempted to bite the bullet, not bother wasting my time with cheap garbage, and spend my cash with DIYLED to be honest.

pretty much guaranteed results from them, have a look at some of the grow diaries on here too

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

also have a look at migros youtube channel, hes always reviewing leds, and seems like an honest guy.

if you are shopping tho, id be more tempted to bite the bullet, not bother wasting my time with cheap garbage, and spend my cash with DIYLED to be honest.

pretty much guaranteed results from them, have a look at some of the grow diaries on here too

That guys a legend lol. Migrow sorted loads out for me .

If i was u id takr billys advice diyled knows his stuff he co fuses me the best of times proper science nerd n thats what ya want lol Love decoding the convos .

Id defo go hlg no questions or a real diy.

The gavita and the maxi lights arw good there thw compatition market entrys to hlgs etc

Mars... it reads good it looks goos they advert goos and vids good.

But when i got mine years ago it did noway match up to the vids and talk..

Cob diy lights used to be cxb 3640 etc they run mint u set them high n run em half power at 50watt a chip.

The hlg in genwral toba novice u shud be gettin atleast 1gpw as a view. And seen up to 2.2gpw so a 250w pannel will get ya 250g min and rest up to 400g more if u grow dials in good and strains

Hps ul get 0.5 to 1.2 a 600 get ya upto 600gish

Me if i was gona buy 1nce id do led.

If i was right cash id go hps .

But heat.. i battle n fight hos heat allday long been hard to get it right and expensice and noisy.

My led grow almost silent and heat goes up so its removed easyer instrad of being directed at plants i have 1200w led and 1200w hps.

My led wins quality and yield

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For 1.m2 you'll need at least 600w's of LED. Jus wont get the density with less tbh. You want the newer Samsung LM301H boards. AliExpress has some great prices, boards similar to a Spider Farmer SF4000 or or MarsHydro's new FC6500 = good reviews on youtube ; search and find same spec lower prices, ie 'Lm301H DIY Dimmable 600W'

These newer boards have no fans, so a 6" fan n rino filter, dialied down with a proper variac, boxed n soundproofed with compost = no noise except your little tent fan :D

This is an interesting topic for me. I've grown HPS for years. But I recently reduced my grow space to about 5'x4' . Growing this summer, in the heat, a friend loaned me a LED light that was similar to the Viperspectra style LED lights, with fans, you can get. I didn't expect much to be honest, but, the with the reduction in heat the girls flourished and I was reasonably impressed with the results. Especially with my electricity bill. I used a SCROG style grow because I thought light penetration below the canopy would be limited. The light I used was one of the ones that produced a purple light and claimed to be 1000W, but drew nothing like that whatsoever from my sockets. So encouraged by the fact that better (reasonably priced) LED's probably existed I investigated the possibilities.

I was really impressed with all the LED quantum style self builds people are are doing. But ended up with two pre-built boards that daisy chain together They cost £100 each. Use Tureful drivers (which I believe are used in LED street lighting(!)?) and use Samsung LM301B chips. I reckon they are good for 2' x 4' max grow area. I have four plants about 2 weeks from harvest and everything looks good. Ironically, because of the location of the grow, I have had to introduce more heating during recent months at a cost. I had considered whacking a 600W HPS in there to finish the crop, as it would solve the heating issue, but I'm intrigued as to how good these lamps are. The other good aspect of LEDS  is there alleged life span over Sodium bulbs. Mmm... we'll see!