Best way to measure pH of soil

lchulo

Hi Folks,

I wanted to find a way to measure the pH of my soil.

I bought a soil pH test kit (the one with capsules).
I found that the amount of soil you can test is so small (the amount is the equivalent of 2 capsule of soil)
that it might not pick up on all the components of the soil.

I use a soil recipe: 12.5% coco, 12.5% perlite, 55% canna terra pro plus soil, 20% organic worm casting
and 2 tbsp bonemeal + 2 tbsp seaweed meal (in 1 gallon of soil).

Canna terra pro plus soil alone is a mix a peat moss and tree bark. It's got lime too.

From my testing, I don't think you can pick up the pH of the soil as a whole.
The test I did from soil straight out of the bag came out at pH higher than 7 (probably pH 8)

whereas the specs of that soil is pH 6.3.
I suspect I might have picked up more lime than other stuff. 

I did a simple test with vinegar and baking soda.
And the soil came out acidic (bubbling with baking soda + water, not bubbling with vinegar).

Do you know of a way I could test at least 2 tbsp of soil ?
Would measuring the run off be the best option (like watering with pH 7 and measuring the run off)?

I'd welcome any inputs.

Cheers.

Just now, Degsy said:

Why ?

I was just looking for the ideal pH and I was curious how the addition of worm casting and coco would affect the pH of Terra canna pro soil (supposed to be at pH 6.3).

I guess I'll just plant it and see if the plant likes it. 

17 minutes ago, lchulo said:

I was just looking for the ideal pH and I was curious how the addition of worm casting and coco would affect the pH of Terra canna pro soil (supposed to be at pH 6.3).

I guess I'll just plant it and see if the plant likes it. 

Wormcasts should have a ph of 7. Coco out of a bag probably wont be far off that I'm guessing at 6-7

So don't worry about ph. Why are you buying expensive ass compost and adding coco and wormcasts to it? Are you trying to make it go further or something? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Why are you buying expensive ass compost and adding coco and wormcasts to it? Are you trying to make it go further or something? 

I'm just trying to get to get 4 weeks without addition of nutrients. Then I'll make compost tea. The goal is to go all organic or as close as possible.

Is canna terra organic? 

A bag of standard multi purpose will do what your asking. 

All your doing by adding those extras is lowering the buffering capacity of the medium by diluting the amount of lime present with coco. 

If you start with a bag of general organic multipurpose compost your already closer. 

Canna terra at 15 quid a bag is basically the same as most 100% peat based multi purpose compost, which should feed for 4 weeks.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 7

next grow, I'll go all canna terra pro plus only. But with the addition of perlite, coco and worm casting, it feels even more aerated. That soil is already well aerated straight from the bag.

Canna pro+ doesn't really have any nutrients in it so yourself a favour and buy Canna Pro instead, it's rich with nutrients and it's got a load of perlite in it too (not that I think that's a good thing). Or like blackpoolbouncer says, just buy some multipurpose compost. Compost manufacturers do all the hard work for us, I've never made amendments to any bag I've bought. Yes I've had some shit bags of compost, but I don't buy them again. There's plenty of good composts out there :) 

• Like 1

its not that hard.......

just take a sample from every depth and horizontal position in the pot, about 4-500 samples(depending on pot size) should do it then divide by your sample no. and hey presto :magic:

• Like 1