Stupidly small amount of trim, can I do anything?

mo0kster

Hi all.  Due to an attack of the dreaded bud rot, I have had to harvest and start drying.  

It's my first grow and I grew in a greenhouse.  After trimming I have 30g of bud and 15g of trimmings which is sugar leaves and little bits of bud, no fan leaves.

It's all gone into a food dehydrator in the loft, so I'll probably have about 10g and 5g respectively after drying.  

Is there anything I can do with this tiny amount of trim that isn't making it edible?  I'm a busy dad and never get the chance to chill out for that long!

Cheers in advance.

Why a food dehydrator man? Not gonna help your smoke at all if you use that, will be harsh and taste like crap most probably.

Dry it slowly over 7/14 days and then jar it.

Oh and as for the trim, grab some cheap bubblebags from the rainforest website.

Edited by npx2020

40 minutes ago, mo0kster said:

Hi all.  Due to an attack of the dreaded bud rot, I have had to harvest and start drying.  

It's my first grow and I grew in a greenhouse.  After trimming I have 30g of bud and 15g of trimmings which is sugar leaves and little bits of bud, no fan leaves.

It's all gone into a food dehydrator in the loft, so I'll probably have about 10g and 5g respectively after drying.  

Is there anything I can do with this tiny amount of trim that isn't making it edible?  I'm a busy dad and never get the chance to chill out for that long!

Cheers in advance.

Still it in a 1/4 bottle vodka for a month .shake it when you can

• Like 4

18 hours ago, npx2020 said:

Why a food dehydrator man? Not gonna help your smoke at all if you use that, will be harsh and taste like crap most probably.

Dry it slowly over 7/14 days and then jar it.

Oh and as for the trim, grab some cheap bubblebags from the rainforest website.

Mainly because I have one, and I'm worried about the rot spreading if I dry normally.  I also have heard good things (and some bad of course...) about the Herbsnow dryer and it's basically the same thing...

17 hours ago, j0eperry said:

Any option to save it up towards a bigger batch of something?

No, not really.  I'm only growing for personal use, which is very low, so I don't anticipate having much more in the future...

Keep storing it ,somewhere cool and dry and free from light, until you have enough to make something with it.

43 minutes ago, mo0kster said:

Mainly because I have one, and I'm worried about the rot spreading if I dry normally.  I also have heard good things (and some bad of course...) about the Herbsnow dryer and it's basically the same thing...

Nah man, there's no way anybody has a good story about using a food dehydrator to dry their bud quickly. It just doesn't work like that. If you're not giving the chlorophyll a chance to break down then you're just gonna have a disgustingly harsh smoke, tastes like crap and gets you high, a little bit. Maybe.

The rot wont spread if you have your environment dialled in and enough airflow in the drying space... Even if you're worried about rot, just trim the plant down to more manageable chunks and dry it on a screen... Anything but a dehydrator. I mean, it's entirely up to you, but, nah :yep:

• Like 1

I typically remove the fan leaves and hang the plant upside down in the basement until the small stems snap and then jar it for further curing.  If you have already separated the buds and fan leaves, I suggest spreading them on a screen where they have good air flow and stir them regularly until the small stems snap, and then jarring them for curing.  The jarring gives the chlorophyll time to deprotonate, while retaining the monoterpenes.

As noted, fast drying with heated air doesn't allow the chlorophyll to deprotonate into Pheophytin and it drives off the monoterpenes, so it is typically harsh and with an alfalfa flavor.

• Like 1