Surface for collecting

j0eperry

Looking to get a nice large flat surface for collecting my dry sift on. Currently don't have anything I can use soooo...

I don't want to use glass .... I am clumsy and will definitely break it. Plus weight plus cost factors

Thinking about getting perspex... Don't know how thick I should go for so it's nice and stable....3mm, 5mm? Any ideas?

As I can get the perspex in colours I'm wondering if there is a best colour background for looking at my dry sift. Ideally one where reds/yellows and greens will show as clearly as possible. Black, white or other? Matt or gloss?

Cheers all

Looks good buddy. I'm looking for something that'll sit flat on my table under my final screen. Can get nearly any colour possible so just trying to make my grading process a bit easier should it be needed :skin_up:

• Like 1

I sift over a mirror, but the perspex at the bottom of the bubble box is black. Cant imagine another colour working any better :hippy:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Inspiration101 said:

I used a great big brand new plastic storage box

large.2.JPGlarge.5.JPGlarge.IMG_20190719_221533.jpg

looks nice, did you use anything special to press it ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bubbles Depot said:

I sift over a mirror, but the perspex at the bottom of the bubble box is black. Cant imagine another colour working any better :hippy:

If you were replacing it, would you have gloss or matt black...? I imagine gloss may throw the eye off BUT could help with reflecting the light a bit towards the gold. Might go Matt black with an added light

Glass is better tbh especially if you have furry pets. Glass has no static , when I tried Perspex/acrylic it magnetised every bit of hair it seemed lol 

• Like 6

Superb information mate. I'm pet free but still great to know as I'll be working in a (cleaned) garage so I'm working hard against the dust!

6 hours ago, itsmeithink said:

looks nice, did you use anything special to press it ?

A cylindrical glass bottle of very hot water and oven mitts as I pressed down on it, using as a rolling pin, with the kief between sheets of baking paper..... Twas hard work...... But worth it :D

I posted a link to the youtube video in my most recent diary I think, or its on my diary before that.

Edited by Inspiration101
  • Like 1

The best option has to be a mirror with a custom wooden frame built around it that has grooves in it to house your sifter.

Then you get a light bulb that glows different colours by remote control n hey presto......I have one as the livingroom light already.....

Well thats what my hash addled brain has cooked up for whenever my next attempt is ;)

*Currently smoking Do-Sweet-Dos*

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, j0eperry said:

Any advantage to mirror specifically bud? Pretty sure I have a couple of them bulbs kicking about too :smokin:

I find mirrors are less scratched and more highly polished n smooth than glass.

• Like 2