Noob mistake with reservoir above plants

Slippy One

Hi hydroponic growers, I had planned to have my mum reservoir above my bonsai mum cabinet. After an initial experiment, the blue spikes kept on watering after the pump switched off, even with a small 4mm air pipe coming off the pump feeder main 13mm pipe. I know this is due to a syphon action..

What am I missing here? Works perfect next to the plants, just when above. Is there a special valve available, or should I add another 4mm breather from the main pipe from the pump? 

Any tips appreciated, I know it's a bit weird having the res above the plants, but I have no room for a ground based res without causing people to notice.. 

• Like 1

Thanks for this, I'll do some research into them. Unfortunately, I'm hand watering the mums in coco, so not sure if Blumats are designed with nutrients in mind. They look a bit expensive too, I just wanted to lift the res on top or the cabinet, as it's currently all ready to go.. :guitar:

For lots of little mums I’d try Amarillo slim’s tech on his outdoor diary, it a tray with an inch of horticultural grit, an easy’2’go aqua valve and an airy medium in tall pots (I think I’d try a Few diff compost n coco mixes to find the sweet spot). H202 in the res too

basically works like an auto pot but a tray full... compost based medium would negate any ph’ing or Ec’ing in the res which would be a Plus for me 

Ditch the pump and drip feed using the natural siphon.  Regulate the drip by using a small clamp.  They are available in aquarium shops for 4mm airline and cost pennies.  No moving parts.  Simple gravity drip feed.

• Like 1

I’ll look into the drip feed, pipe clamp idea. I’ll bug @Amarillo slimto ask any tips and tricks he uses, which sounds good, and could be the best option if I tweak it for coco. Maybe a tall thin reservoir inside the mum cabinet (Next to the mums, not above) is another possibility here.. I don’t mind spending time fixing the ph and ec once a week, as the mums need constant trimming every 3/4 days regardless..  :yep:

I guess res above plants using a pump isn’t a wise move (unless gravity drip feeding) 

• 2 weeks later...

the problem here is the location of the tee, you need to have the anti syphon tee above the water level in your res. try it, you will see that it works.

good luck, let me know if im right, ill be surpriised if it doesnt fix it

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to guide me, as the ideal place is above the cabinet, I’ll try again very soon and post the results. :yep: