Keep cooking seeds

Hi, I have a 60*60*90 prop tent and 2 bars of T5 (24w). Extraction is a 5" bathroom fan so I can maintain 25*C in there. I either cook seeds or they end up very leggy. Is there an ideal distance I should keep between seedlings and T5 light?

Starting to get fucked off with myself now, I'm spending a fortune on beans! Any advice welcome,

Ta

Edited by Professor_X
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

What does that mean, that they don't germinate?

They cook, fry, they germinate but don't last long

I doubt your cooking them tbh.

Something else is going on..

I got a T5 in the top of a wardrobe, unventilated except for a few holes drilled in roof of said wardrobe and seeds/clones all do just fine in there, gets warmer than 25° too I know.  

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

I doubt your cooking them tbh.

Same. I use a T5 only a couple of inches from plants. The heat they generate is minimal 

Edited by SkullDuggery
  • Like 3

I'm also a fan of T5s, currently 4 weeks into flower with 2700K tubes.  I kept the plants very close to the tubes - maybe 2" - during vegging but with a small fan blowing across there was never a heat issue at the tops.  And 24W tubes that close aren't providing any "more" light than a noonday sun.

My seeds turn out to have been photoperiods of unknown provenance (beyond a tin at the back of a drawer) and they were germinated and brought on for 3 weeks in that much-missed weather at the start of lockdown. 

Have you had a look at the root(s) of the deceased?  They're usually pretty resilient if not subjected to any extremes.

Any chance of over-watering? 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm no expert (like some of the hoary old sons and daughters of the soil who proffered sage counsel when I joined a couple of months ago) but it's funny how you absorb knowledge as you go along and pick up hints and clues from your own grow.  These nuggets of purest green return, unbidden, to light our way and that of others in our footsteps.

By the Holy Plankton, that spliff was mighty..

What I mean is - there is something very simple that's amiss.  It has to be simple because most plants need little encouragement to root and grow.  What age are we talking about?  Do they get as far as being able to trim or train - no, you've said they don't get far [keep up, man]  So...how many leaves, typically?  Do they yellow, brown and wither or what?

I realise I'm asking questions I can't answer in an informed way, but I think these just might be the right sort of questions to put.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Dov1 said:

What medium are you using? 

Soil. Reckon I need to make sure I have a fan blowing across them. Thanks for the replies everyone :oldtoker:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, icki said:

The soil is it a light mix...

They dont need to be in a prop as seedlings.

Thanks for replying @icki, It's AllMix laddie but yes it's a light substrate. I reckon what I've been doing is putting the pots in a bag to keep humidity up, think I've been steaming the poor beggars alive, like shriveled beansprouts :doh:

How do I prevent them from drying out overnight if it's 25*C+ with fan blowing the top of the soil? :oldtoker:

Don't put a fan blowing the top of the soil for a starters, have it facing the tent wall or something, you want nice gentle air flow just enough to make em move a bit not air force 1 for plants. Don't bag up any pots or use a propagator it encourages stem rot and damping off and all mix is way too strong for seedlings. You need a lighter mix, something like canna terra pro plus or bio bizz light-mix will be fine.

Get a 500ml or 1L pot, fill it with your preferred soil and water it through and let them drain off. 5 - 10% run off. Stick the pots under the T5, make a tiny hole with your finger or whatever put the seeds in, cover them up and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt.

People really complicate beans on toast when it comes to cracking seeds lol

• Like 8
1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

People really complicate beans on toast when it comes to cracking seeds lol

So you're saying I'm using too much Worcestershire Sauce? :offtopic:lol

Thanks for the answer @GSZZ :oldtoker:

Edited by Professor_X
  • Like 3