Extraction from grow...

Mangohit

Hi guys, got a question I can't find an answer to on Google;

How long after I cut a plant down to dry do I have to wait before I can blast with DME for extraction? Do I still need to dry and then cure etc or can freshly cut bud just get blasted  straight away? 

Any advice please, thanks in advance 

M

I believe dme extracts a lot of water and chlorophyll, so dried and cured material should produce cleaner results. Low temps and frozen dried material should also help.

Don't believe all the hype though. I've not tried it personally, but it comes around every couple years and i don't think I've seen anybody prefer the results.

• Like 1

With the only advantage of dme extraction being the time it takes to purge, I wouldn't be bothering about it over butane...Im guessing you know something I dont? Butane, with a boiled water bath under as it evaporates, seems fast and clean enough to me - with a few freeze/thaws to purge it properly, but im also not running huge amounts...

You can BME extract it live (Bud/trim) which is fresh - most ice hash is fresh from frozen buds and trim directly after harvest - or frozen fresh till its used, it preserves more terps/flavours using solvent, as those compounds are water soluble - but it can be a bit edgy because its not cured/dried with Chloryphyll etc still in the material - still tasty though, and dont let me put you off - im just fussy lol , thats why bubble/ice hash always lacks a bit of flavour past its 'hashiness', imho. But considering i like the hashiness, i make a fair bit of that as well...but I always cure ice hash properly, just cause it aint got any leaf round it doesnt mean it doesn't need a cure. Most folk forget that part.

I prefer to dry it right out and cure it for a 2 week minimum, the more water you get out of the material the better/clearer the oil/shatter will be...And I like to QWISO as well as BHO and ice...Harvest is a busy time for me ^^ - Theres not much that goes to the compost bin un-fettered. Im working on a loom next, might weave my own smart pots from the plant matter lol

Ive never used BME, but I know folk who have, and like @Bubbles Depot, never professed it better or worse. So I just keep a 12 pack of Newport Butane in the cupboard as well a a 5L of lab grade ISO, and a carrier bag of ice in the freezer...you never now when youre gonna get caught short with processing lol