First grow - take two

Milltown Micro

So as previously stated elsewhere, my first attempt at growing didn’t quite take off. But we live and we learn. Whilst starting rather late in the year, my first plant has finally taken off. This picture is from today which is day 35 since first sprouting. 

The strain in question is a Sweet Afghani Delicious S1 and she was transferred from my window sill into a bigger pot on day 27. Wendy, as she is known, is in homemade compost mixed and covered in potting compost and watered with collected rainwater as and when required. She is in a cheap grow tent I picked up from a local garden centre. 

So that’s currently where we’re at. Any advice or thoughts will be greatly received. 

large.F2D597CC-A2E0-4B19-97EA-5F6AC1E67FC1.jpeglarge.E1FD026D-C567-4C46-B44E-4DA9F2AB87BB.jpeg

• Like 2

So Wendy is making steady progress. We’re about day 40 now since first sprouting. I was hoping to induce flower from start of August but someone told me as it’s late you can induce flower quick by leaving in darkness for 48 hours first? Is this a thing... what’s your thoughts??large.D3D48082-D09E-47FE-81CF-22B1894A3F04.jpeg

Hi @Milltown Micro. One observation. I have a similar greenhouse thingy. I found it held my plants back. (Not necessarily MJ.) I checked with a light meter and found it cut so much light. I guess it helps if temps are really low or if you want to stop it getting rained on but beyond that I'd favour direct sunlight myself if possible. You might fair worse for higher humidity in there too rather than letting the wind blow through it.

Just my tuppence worth. YMMV.

All the best with it buddy.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

Hi @Milltown Micro. One observation. I have a similar greenhouse thingy. I found it held my plants back. (Not necessarily MJ.) I checked with a light meter and found it cut so much light. I guess it helps if temps are really low or if you want to stop it getting rained on but beyond that I'd favour direct sunlight myself if possible. You might fair worse for higher humidity in there too rather than letting the wind blow through it.

Just my tuppence worth. YMMV.

All the best with it buddy.

Cheers for that dude. I’m really over looked here bang in the middle of a council estate and my neighbours would spot anything so tent is as open as possible without her being visible. So tent is more of a camouflage device as opposed  anything else.

Edited by Milltown Micro

Just now, Milltown Micro said:

I’m really over looked here

Yeah. Me too mate. I low profile mine to help avoid detection. This year I planted a haricot bean screen in a deep long container against a railing to climb up to obscure them from one neighbour with an upstairs eyeline across the road. Makes a good privacy screen and gives a bit of a windbreak effect too which is a bonus for my exposed balcony which can get pretty blustery! ;-)

large.Balcony_Mix_2020.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that’s awesome!! I’d love to grow indoors eventually but this was more of a learning curve. There’s literally no area of my garden that’s not overlooked from another window or over a fence so choices are limited. Did you hear of the 48 hour thing before?? 

I've heard about light deprivation to trigger flowering in outside photoperiods and a dark period at the start of 12/12 under lights. Dunno about triggering outdoors with a one off dark period though. I doubt it some how but then "I know nothing..." (in a Spanish accent).

I recently came across someone on here that seems to know just about all one might want to know about light deprivation if you're really interested. Check out @Asha605 for how it's done.

Pipped to the post by the post above on the Asha605 recommendation I see.

Edited by Wacky Wardrobe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, uberowl said:

@Milltown Micro check out @Asha605 diaries,  she is the absolute Queen of light dep growing. 

Good luck with Wendy :lucky:

I was just about to post the same - that thread is massively inspiring.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

I've heard about light deprivation to trigger flowering in outside photoperiods and a dark period at the start of 12/12 under lights. Dunno about triggering outdoors with a one off dark period though. I doubt it some how but then "I know nothing..." (in a Spanish accent).

I recently came across someone on here that seems to know just about all one might want to know about light deprivation if you're really interested. Check out @Asha605 for how it's done.

Agreed - she really knows her stuff!

• Like 2

Ahhh, thanks guys! Soon I’ll have such a big head I won’t fit through the light dep door!:rolleyes:

Only jk.. I’m the biggest muppet ever! I learned what I know from make every mistake you can imagine!

:rofl:

@Milltown Micro.. 48 hours darkness at the start of light dep helps kick in flowering.. I never do it though. You’ll have to light dep for a couple of weeks minimum this time of year for any significant flower kick start, IMO, but give it a try.. might just work! Good luck buddy!

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Definitely worth doing. After some light dep info from@Asha605 my CBD seeds Amnesia 5 started flowering after only 6 days of going in the cupboard for the night. It was 8 weeks since it started growing and I’m now 3 weeks into flower and it’s doing really well. 

My clothes reek of ganja when I’ve taken it back to the greenhouse in the mornings though :hippy:

• Like 4

@Asha605 thanks for the insight! As you can tell I’m new to the growing game. Just wondering how you’d play this one? I’ve been advised 48 hours darkness then 12 outside 12 in darkness thereafter... what’s your thoughts? 

• Like 1