Bubblebags with old dry trim

OnTheWire

I found some disco biscuit trim I completely forgot about for months, and ran it though some bubblebags to retrieve the good stuff.  When I pulled the 73u bag I ended up with some dry sandy resin that doesn't stick together like fresh stuff would.  Is there a way to get it to stick together and behave like bubble hash usually does, or would a good percentage of it be dried plant material that made its way through the screen?  I used a food processor to mix it in the water rather than a hand mixer, so maybe it got a bit too finely chopped.  Still waiting for the 25u stuff to dry, not sure what that will turn out like.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OnTheWire said:

I used a food processor to mix it in the water rather than a hand mixer, so maybe it got a bit too finely chopped.  

Made the same mistake myself first time round - food processors batter the crap outta plant material so the hash turns sandy green and smokes ok but doesn't hold together :thumbdown:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheWire said:

I found some disco biscuit trim I completely forgot about for months, and ran it though some bubblebags to retrieve the good stuff.  When I pulled the 73u bag I ended up with some dry sandy resin that doesn't stick together like fresh stuff would.  Is there a way to get it to stick together and behave like bubble hash usually does, or would a good percentage of it be dried plant material that made its way through the screen?  I used a food processor to mix it in the water rather than a hand mixer, so maybe it got a bit too finely chopped.  Still waiting for the 25u stuff to dry, not sure what that will turn out like.

You could always dissolve it in alcohol, filter and evaporate. This should stick very well :yep:

You can also just do that to one half and mix the rest into it, to get more of a hash like consistency.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Renard said:

You could always dissolve it in alcohol, filter and evaporate. This should stick very well :yep:

You can also just do that to one half and mix the rest into it, to get more of a hash like consistency.

That's not a bad idea, i'll give it a go :yep:  It does the job as it is, but it's so fine that it falls through the gauze (and of course it's missing out on the taste and smell of really nice hash).  I guess that isopropyl alcohol is to be avoided, or would it be OK as long as it was all evaporated?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OnTheWire said:

That's not a bad idea, i'll give it a go :yep:  It does the job as it is, but it's so fine that it falls through the gauze (and of course it's missing out on the taste and smell of really nice hash).  I guess that isopropyl alcohol is to be avoided, or would it be OK as long as it was all evaporated?

I personally use 96% ethanol. It’s expensive but fit for ingestion. You might have to soak it to get it to dissolve, so the iso taste will settle in the end product, from my experience. I only worked with iso twice tho, as it is not my favourite solvent. 
I would use a very fine mesh to filter out the plant matter. I imagine we are not talking of a giant amount, so a coffee filter might be hard to handle without a buchner  funnel. The ethanol will keep the resin from sticking to your mesh and the little amount that might stick can be washed out with more ethanol.

Edited by Renard
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ranec said:

sandy green and smokes ok but doesn't hold together

That's due to the resin being contaminated with chlorophyll and plant matter - same thing happens to people who grind up their bud before making the hash. Most people think you need to beat the bud like an egg to get the trichomes to fall off because of people like Subcool. 

You don't need to even use a hand mixer; as long as you're keeping the mix (sensibly) cool throughout and don't over pack the bags - you just need to agitate it lightly to encourage the trichs to fall through the mesh. You will end up with much better hash than beating it with a wooden spoon/blender.  

• Like 3