Replaced passive vent. Now light proof

AngryDuck

Put a post up last night that has gone unanswered about a light baffle. With little info about the product online and no videos available i decided rather then waste money to find out it did not work that i would sort the problem out myself. So today I made my own passive lightproof vent.  

I started by carefully unstitching the vent from the tent leaving just the hole exposed. Using an old shelf which I cut to size I then cut two 160mm holes and drilled holes for 10 M8 bolts. 

large.5f08c8c5b17d1_20200710_145133_compress492.jpg

It was easier to get the holes marked and attached to tent before starting to add the ducting. 

large.5f08c8ca1d967_20200710_150608_compress801.jpg

To secure the duct in place and help with the slightly over sized hole I used some 3-17mm expanding foam tape. 

large.5f08c8d74ae62_20200710_160318_compress341.jpg

Then screwed the duct in place. 

large.5f08c8df5df30_20200710_160330_compress91.jpg

Then using some aluminium foil tape to neaten the edges. 

large.5f08c8e541cb6_20200710_164642_compress311.jpg

I then reattached the bug mesh. 

large.5f08c8f2cdf6f_20200710_170441_compress481.jpg

Before covering with an old grow tent spill tray.

large.5f08c8fdec233_20200710_171640_compress31.jpg

Sadly I ran out of Foil tape so never got to seal the stitching holes on the inside but this will done leaving me with a fully sealed, fully light proof passive vent. 

large.5f08c90836762_20200710_173545_compress881.jpg

Took me most of the day but am happy knowing i wont have the room lit up at night or the tent lit up when the light is off now. :) 

• Like 6

Quick trip to screwfix this morning to pick up some tape. Job done. :yep: 

Still amazes everyone classes there grow tent as lightproof, yeah till you open a vent then a big patch of light hits the floor. Tbh lights on is not really an issue it was the lights off period. 
large.5f0989aa3b57e_20200711_103902_compress901.jpg

13 hours ago, unity said:

nicely done :)  

Thanks. 

13 hours ago, marcjuna said:

Looks really well made

Yeah maybe a bit overkill but im doing it one time and not touching it again.

12 hours ago, Jay1601 said:

Cracking bit of DIY mate, I’m all about making stuff and saving a few quid 

Surprised no one has done something like this as an addon to there tents. A vent cover with two flanges for ducting. Not everyone can have an active intake and a tent is not lightproof once a vent is open.

I have built an ott fan box too. To hang in the loft. Am just waiting on facebook market place for someone to get rid of some carpet underlay locally to line the box with. Typically since ive needed it there has been none about and i just know if i buy some new the next day someone will be getting rid of some lol 

• Like 1

I've got vents open on three sides of all my tents, no covers on any of them. I've had two hermies in the last five years of continual growing. 

Once the canopy is thick I can't see the light coming out from inside the tent, and not much is getting in through that either. 

The moon can be one fuck off big light.  The zips on most tents are also wank. I think people stress too much over this. 

3 hours ago, FatBoy77 said:

I've got vents open on three sides of all my tents, no covers on any of them. I've had two hermies in the last five years of continual growing. 

Once the canopy is thick I can't see the light coming out from inside the tent, and not much is getting in through that either. 

The moon can be one fuck off big light.  The zips on most tents are also wank. I think people stress too much over this. 

That is still 4+ weeks every grow of light leaking out till the plants fill in the tent. This was not about hermies more keeping it as desecrate as possible. Plus its taken me close to 6 months to buy everything and ive had way to much time to think about stuff. lol 

My tent is on a two sided corner. The bonus is now instead of sucking air from behind the tent which is unlikely to have a good amount of airflow the duct is run around the back of the tent facing into the main room which does get good exchange of air with 4 windows open almost 247.

Love fishing on a full moon with everything lit up. Animals react to a full moon I wonder if plants do to :unsure:

For half a days DIY I now dont have to worry when its lights out its dark inside and when its lights on its dark outside.