Secret Jardin DF16 Light Baffle (do they work?)

AngryDuck

Does anyone have experience of using these, are they really light proof while allowing air through?

Or is a gimmick item because i cannot find any video or photo showing them in use. Every photo or video i have seen is in a well lit room. Surly to sell these you be in a dark room and open the tent showing the light on and no light leaking through :unsure:

My tent does not have port holes at the bottom in the right places to allow ducting for the passive in take the way i have the tent set up. And with the large vent open (150x350mm)  there is to much light in and out. A couple of theses would allow me to seal the passive vent up and not have to worry about light leaks and being cut and fit i can place them anywhere i like. It would also stop me having to mess about modding the large vent to stop the light leak. I only have 170mm gap before the back hits a wall so its not like i can cover the vent with a box and use x2 6" duct runs because i do not have the space for the bends.  

DF-LIGHT-BAFFLE.png

13490-1_secret-jardin-light-baffle-df16.

• Like 1

I used one on my small propagation tent I have of theirs...worked well...smart little idea.

Farmer G 

• Like 2

First time seeing them & they look useful in the right circumstances, it looks like a black filter material is used as a light blocker & there's retention clips on it that look like you can add ducting couplers.

21 hours ago, FARMER G said:

I used one on my small propagation tent I have of theirs...worked well...smart little idea.

Farmer G 

Hey farmer G,  I emailed SJ about this asking if they are light proof. And did get a fast reply but maybe the language barrier got in the way as this was the reply 

""HPS600 inside, you will be able to see a spot, when you rotate tje light baffle (fix, you need to move your head then). Inside, with day outside, you will not be able to see your hand, even close.""

I couldn't work out from that reply if they are light proof or not. lol So built my own the next day rather then risk the £40 for two 6" vents that didnt work.

To late now but for future ref just in case. Are they light tight or goes it still glow with the lights on?

9 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

First time seeing them & they look useful in the right circumstances, it looks like a black filter material is used as a light blocker & there's retention clips on it that look like you can add ducting couplers.

Yeah your right you can add 4,5,6" duct flanges.  

I've got a little veg tent that came with one of these, they're great, completely light proof as far as I can tell. I ordered another for my DR60 so I could cover up the big rectangle passive intakes.

You have to buy a sort of mount thing that fixes into the corner of the tent, the baffle slides into that. There's a little tool to cut the hole out that's quite handy as well.

The baffle can slide out of the mount and you can replace it with a ducting attachment (not sure what to call it, looks like the end of a carbon filter! :D )

Definitely recommend them if anyone is thinking of getting one :yep:

FF

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like how neat they are, just slot them in and no light comes out.

Does anyone know if they also help keep bugs out? I'm in the process of upgrading my bansai cupboard and wondering if they're worth cutting a 150mm hole in solid wood. Otherwise I'll build my own baffle with bug mesh.

Wish they also had 4" ones, 2 of them would be perfect and would'nt have to buy a 6" circular drill bit.. 

On 26/09/2020 at 4:44 PM, Slippy One said:

I like how neat they are, just slot them in and no light comes out.

Does anyone know if they also help keep bugs out? I'm in the process of upgrading my bansai cupboard and wondering if they're worth cutting a 150mm hole in solid wood. Otherwise I'll build my own baffle with bug mesh.

Wish they also had 4" ones, 2 of them would be perfect and would'nt have to buy a 6" circular drill bit.. 

You don’t need a 6 » inch circular drill bit you have to order a separate cutter (perfect cut) to make the cut,piece of piss rotate 360 degrees,done.They do work.  

Edited by *BANG*
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, *BANG* said:

You don’t need a 6 » inch circular drill bit you have to order a separate cutter (perfect cut) to make the cut,piece of piss rotate 360 degrees,done.They do work.  

The issue is that my bansai cabinet is solid wood, not a tent. I use regular cabinets to hide the obvious. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slippy One said:

The issue is that my bansai cabinet is solid wood, not a tent. I use regular cabinets to hide the obvious. 

Ok if that’s the case then a 6 » circular drill bit might be needed (i can measure up the actual baffle measurements (without framing/fixing) for you if you want, if I were you bro I would just get the actual light baffle on it’s tod (the inside louvre-ed bit) and just use that saving you money (they are £7 if memo servs me right, get two for better airflow and if ur any good with a router you could use this instead of a 6 » drill bit saving you some cash ;) 

• Like 2

Always wanted a router, but I think a 6” drill attachment would still be cheaper than legal fees should my new box have 2 policemen standing next to it (like my current cabinet) lol 

and yes, the £7 baffle is the only bit I’d need, might need to make sure it sits flush and rig up a support brace to stop it falling out. I’ll then cover the lot with a cheap louvre from B&Q. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

Always wanted a router, but I think a 6” drill attachment would still be cheaper than legal fees should my new box have 2 policemen standing next to it (like my current cabinet) lol 

and yes, the £7 baffle is the only bit I’d need, might need to make sure it sits flush and rig up a support brace to stop it falling out. I’ll then cover the lot with a cheap louvre from B&Q. 

Bro wtf?! Have you had fuzz stood right next to your box whilst it’s working?! I would cut the whole, check fit maybe sand down edges, get some caulk/ silicon and pop vent in,seal it up, job done! You could have them at the back and not visible instead of covering them with an extra bnq louvre which will create more pressure to pull air through.

• 2 months later...

I just tried to order 2 of these, none around, only listing is some dodgy Euro scam website. If anyone knows where I can find these, please let me know. :yep:

I made my own using a ducting connector wrapped in cooker hood filter.....not 100% light proof but by the looks of things mine lets more air through than the SJ one.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 4:44 PM, Slippy One said:

Just a thought you could always hire a decent hole saw set for about £10 a day. but if you bought a router a cheap one from Aldi or Screwfix and were going to use it more than just for one a off project you can always buy decent router cutters Trend or the like. I have done this with a cheap table saw and circular saw ditch the bade it comes with and buy a good one for use on projects that matter.

• Like 2