Mullet tips?

Captain Bonglington

I'm going to be having a go for a Mullet on the Bristol Channel soon, we know of a mark. :yep:

I'm thinking fish roughly blended bread crumb and punch as a hookbait, but has anyone any further advice on catching this notorious headbanger of a species?  :)

@stu sleeper 20vt.....:yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington

I haven't got vigorous enough hair to grow a Mullet these days, it's probably for the best. :)

• Like 2

@Captain Bonglington

mullet from the sea are even more difficult than the inland dockway mullet I fish for.

my suggestions...

inbound tide

size 10

straight through braid if you got it of around 15/20lb(they smash hooklinks for fun)

prebait prebait prebait

if they can see ANY of your hook they wont take it.

make a 'pasty' with your hook as the filling.

early morning or dusk is when I catch all my fish,don think ive ever had a fish after 9am or before an hour before sunset.

I use driftbeater floats as bites can be too delicate for things like bubblefloats

I usebread mush(tear the bread into little bits and add sea water) as groundbait

forget all the above and come to cumbria and fish the docks with me!! lol

I truely hope you have luck,don't try and bully a hooked fish,you WONT win!!

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 2

Thanks @stu sleeper 20vt, I was hoping you'd drop in. :)

I've not seen the venue yet, but it's right up the channel, apparently there's a small estuary where they can be caught on coarse tactics....That's all I know at the moment. 

I'm thinking a crystal chubber float, like you say feeding mashed bread with punch on the hook. 

Would I be undergunned with a 1.25 test curve Avon rod? Or would a 2lb or even 2.5 test Barbel rod be more appropriate? :)

It's too far away to prebait unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Nope. I came here for mullets and I am staying for them.

At first you might think one of those short mullets like that from Tiger King might look good on you. But it won’t.

Sure... There are these Italian mullets. Sleek and waxed with some coloured strands and maybe a tribal cut onto the side of your head. But you don’t want that.

A mullet needs to be majestic. Like a lions mane. It needs to extend down between your shoulders. And you should pomp it up in the front. Think Elvis. It needs to be accompanied by a moustache. Like John Holmes or Hulk Hogan. You want to wear a decent pair of shades, like gold mirrored aviators or purple teal skiing shades.

Wear it with a burgundy ma-1 jacket, a tank top and sweat pants on python skin cowboy boots or high top nike dunks.

That is what you want to do.

Edited by Renard
  • Like 4

On 06/07/2020 at 4:45 PM, Saddam said:

I came here to offer you some advice on the hairstyle. :schmoll:  

Same lol

,,,anything with a good give in it mate,I use a 12ft match rod as with drift, a longer rod is usefull to tale up slack line when you get a bite.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, freewilly2121 said:

Advice for mullet fishing = go bass fishing

any fisherman can catch a bass...

it takes an angler to catch mullet

post-12051-1213723595.jpg

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

any fisherman can catch a bass...

it takes an angler to catch mullet

post-12051-1213723595.jpg

What on lures?? 

I saw a 6 year old kid catch a 3 pound mullet with a bubble float and a chunk of hovis the other day! 

I'll stick to bass

large.IMG-20200621-WA0002.jpg

Bass are fun too....I'm happiest when on my kayak fishing lures. :)

I'd love to catch a mullet though, for their infuriating reputation. Henry Gilby screaming "Your mother's a man" at them. lol

@stu sleeper 20vt, I've had a look today, it's not an estuary, it's known as a Rhine....seems to be an inlet of sorts.

The water is very coloured, it's like hot chocolate...Would that change your approach at all, I was thinking they might be more inclined to feed through the day, if the tide was right? Could it be worth adding some scent to the bread? Thanks for the advice dude. :yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington

Just to add I love all fishing, this just banter, there are two amazing mullet marks where I'm from and I've witnessed many caught im sure ill give it a go some day, Im just more partial too having my ting swallowed rather than nibbled on. 

• Like 1