Jack's Magic ok for seedlings?

BudJ

Bit of a change of plan for plant 2 of my first grow.  Rather than go straight to final pot, I'm going to try 0.5L then pot up to 11L (H&G Batmix).

I have some Jack's Magic in the shed, anyone know if this is suitable to start it off in the 0.5L pot before potting up?  

• Like 1

i wouldnt use it, its sets like bloody concrete. same as westlands john innes number 2 seedling mix.

ive just killed a load of seedlings i started in jacks concrete. they got rootbound and when transplanted the roots couldnt get out of it, were water logged, shrivelled and died.  

ill never use it again, for anything- its pish....

i would use a seedling/cutting  specific soil, they are nice and light and airy.

or if you have no choice, add loads of perlite to the jacks i suppose...

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

i wouldnt use it, its sets like bloody concrete. same as westlands john innes number 2 seedling mix.

ive just killed a load of seedlings i started in jacks concrete. they got rootbound and when transplanted the roots couldnt get out of it, were water logged, shrivelled and died.  

ill never use it again, for anything- its pish....

i would use a seedling/cutting  specific soil, they are nice and light and airy.

or if you have no choice, add loads of perlite to the jacks i suppose...

I know what you mean, I've been using it for chillies and herbs and it gets very heavy/dense once watered.

I'll head out and get some seedling specific stuff.  Any recommendations on that, preferably shop bought rather than internet?

• Like 1

i used the westlands gro sure  seed and cutting compost, but ive also used thier all purpose compost last time, it says its got feed s for 4 months or something on the front, it was fine.

ive also used B&Qs verve seedling compost in the past, it was ok too. 

A lot of folks on here rave about clover compost, but i cant get it where i live. might be worth a search locally.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 1

I’m using Jacks Magic, went straight to final pots/buckets after soaking seeds for 36 hours and there loving it! 6 weeks in and I’ve got a small forest after a bit of LST. All the seeds came up and didn’t need to feed for the first 4/5 weeks :skin_up:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just popped 3 different strains in it with no problems, I also took some cuttings in it a while ago and all are thriving.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/07/2020 at 6:13 PM, Wooden Monkey said:

I’m using Jacks Magic, went straight to final pots/buckets after soaking seeds for 36 hours and there loving it! 6 weeks in and I’ve got a small forest after a bit of LST. All the seeds came up and didn’t need to feed for the first 4/5 weeks :skin_up:

On 20/07/2020 at 8:09 PM, mr rhino said:

I have just popped 3 different strains in it with no problems, I also took some cuttings in it a while ago and all are thriving.

Thanks.  I have 10 seedlings in Jiffies and they have all popped.  This saves me a trip to the Garden Centre in the morning as I already have plenty of Jack's Magic.  I have found it to be really good stuff when mixed with a bit of vermiculite.

• Like 1

I pop seedlings in a jiffy/root riot and when they've been above ground for a few days they're transferred to a soil mix.

Current mix is 60% Jacks Magic 20% EWC and 20% perlite. A touch Myco on transplant and boom away you go. 

No issues to speak of for me personally plants seem happy and healthy so far so no complaints here

• Like 1

it's fine. just use water for a few weeks. Not sure what the concrete thing is about (?) - it is compost..

you don't need to cut it with perlite at all.

I've started hundreds of seedlings in it - none died of anything... there's probably slightly better but it is cheap and available.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just bought three bags of this. Bags were noticeably lighter when lifting them in the trolley. It seems different to me this year, browner and more fibrous almost. Anyone else noticed a change in it? 

Gonna try biobizz light mix this year to get my girls started before going out in the wild.. using root trainers before going in the ground so only a small bag needed.. no where near as hot as the all mix so should not suffer any issues, there is only a tiny bit of feed in there so should be ok with just water for 3/4 weeks before plant out..it has a wetting agent in there so that should be helpful too

I use it but it seems the price has increased and the quality of the nutes in it have went down or just changed to be a poorer match for cannabis.

I am still using it but will try something else next time.

Get around the setting like concrete problem by only watering from below until you have a good root mass, then the roots hold the soil together and the compost is good once you are onto your own nutes.

Still I think B&Q Verve would probably be better choice.