big black flies

tony2wheelsgood

i initially thought they were flying ants, similar size and shape and black(with wings). Initially spotted on the top of my aeroponic cuttings deck apparently grazing on dried algae and staying under the leaf shadow. then seen in my aquafarm lurking in the supply tube slot. they tend to hide in the dark and damp when not feeding but die quickly when sprayed with a strong BuzzOff solution. Trouble is I can't find them all and they are breeding well(!)

At least with some ID I can think about combatting them. They don't seem to be harming the plants at the moment.

Can't find anything in FAQs.

ARE THEY FUNGUS FLY OR MOULD KNATS... ??(ooops sorry for shouting,forgot the shift)

or was it mould fly/fungus knats..... :yinyang: my heads like a sieve today,and me spellin.... :headpain:

Edited by sittingrelaxing

ARE THEY FUNGUS FLY OR MOULD KNATS... ??(ooops sorry for shouting,forgot the shift)

or was it mould fly/fungus knats..... :yinyang: my heads like a sieve today.... :headpain:

361020[/snapback]

pretty sure they are not - much too big and nothing like the ones in FAQs. Mind you, i presume that fungus gnats grow into something else so it could be a later stage in the lifecycle i suppose. been growing a long time and never seen these before.

ps going back to look for small crawly jumpy things just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
have you had any luck finding out what it is yet coz i think i've found the same thing.  only one tho flyng around the lowest part of the plant killed it swiftly as soon as it landed on the wall(waiting on signs of more). i thought it was a queen ant aswell but cant be too careful got to know for sure.

will search for larvae 2morrow as its in tha dark stage just now :D

365246[/snapback]

i think i have them 2 but i killed it a couple of days ago and no more sighns touch wood but the winged critter was bigger than normal i think they just flys comming in the room well i hope