Pests in the garden

dannychoo

Heya all.

Decided to put some plants (couple of Premier Sweet, Discobiscuit, Amnesia and a Blue Dream) in pots out middle of lockdown/Mid-May to June in the garden alongside some potato plants, lemon balm, roses, Goji etc since we weren't sure when lockdown was gonna ease/end and it seemed a good idea at the time. 

large.outdoors2020.jpg

I have to admit I've never done outdoor growing before, and also haven't come across many pests indoors other than fungus gnats and springtails in the tent, both of which are managable and never really thrived enough to cause much damage. Therefore I'm not as clued up as most and thankfully never had to really apply pesticides or counteractive measures. 

Which brings me to my question: are these spider mites? 

large.outdoors2020_mite_pest.jpg

I prefer organic buds, growing in/outdoors in soil so looking for a preventative/pesticide that would kill or deter them without affecting the taste too much. I have a bottle of neem oil in the cupboard as well as general household goods that I usually spray in the garden on vegetables, usually use a garlic, chilli and soap mixture but recently gotten lazy last couple years and just let nature take it's course.

Is neem oil and liquid soap a good general pesticide and what sort of ratio should I mix them? When should I stop using pesticides outside? What other pests should I look out for in the garden? I usually get vine weevil when growing pak choi etc so haven't grown them much lately. I noticed black flies on my beetroot and chives/spring onions recently and as mentioned above, there's the roses that usually bring the white cabbage flies as well... 

When the ladybirds were in their larval stage a month or so ago, I was actively relocating them onto my cannabis plants but they seemed to have buggared off after their metamorphosis 2-3 weeks ago. Should I try to catch more around the garden to apply them to my plants instead of pesticide spray? 

Are there any particular plants I should try and place them near in order to prevent more pests in the foreseeable months? I thought the lemon balm would help but maybe the surrounding flora had nasties on them anyway. Luckily I have potted them for easy relocating but the space they currently occupy is the best location in the garden preventing nosy neighbours' view.

I will obviously research some more on the forum as I'm sure there's loads of cases where people asked the same... 

Edited by dannychoo
more info

8 minutes ago, Bartyfartblast said:

aphid 

In which case I should try and locate more ladybirds eh? 

Neem oil and liquid soap a good deterrent too? Or will I spoil the foliage for flowering stage?

ETA: I might be looking at root aphids... Probably shouldn't have used the composter's soil to pot 4/5 plants... 

Edited by dannychoo

This time of year the garden is full of them ... they will prefer other more palatable plants , cannabis is covered in small sharp hairs and later sticky  oils which helps keep smaller pests off . 

I havent grown outside for many years and then it was in a city garden so didnt need any pest control really ... someone should be along soon who would be better able to advise you but neem oil is pretty harmless and will kill aphids , any soapy water will . Lady birds are free spirits and will generally look for large colonies like on my wifes roses ! 

• Like 1

Soap nut liquid and neem or oriental herbal nutrient as per the following link: 

Most things aren't too much of a concern unless you see them en masse.  

• Like 1

@Nervous I read over your thread and whilst informative, the dunce in me will indubitably cock OHN/IMOs up. The closest I do to homebrewing is Jun kombucha and even the first few batches had me nervous because I thought the yeast strands were some sort of weird mould/bacteria. 

I have never heard of Soap Nuts before googling and was quite fascinated to see it's a natural detergent.

Also in regards to using the word "Oriental," if someone were to use a term to categorise me I'd prefer that to being called Asian, Chinese, Japanese, etc. Similarly, I'd use Caucasian as a term as I view it less derogatory/loaded. In essence, I could think of far worse terms than Oriental. I.e. you shouldn't worry about it too much.

It really is quite a steep road to true Organic cultivation, however I learnt a few things along the way so thanks for your input! 

Edited by dannychoo