ant attacks

badbillybob

my guerrilla grow was going ok, but when I went out today, I noticed a couple of plants gone, like completely gone, nothng left, no stem, nothing

and the soil is over run with ants. im suspecting the ants have killed the plants - I didn't even know they could do that. they look bigger than garden ants, but no idea what kind of ants, 

Any suggestions on how to protect the remaining ones

Edited by badbillybob

i don't think the ants are to blame mate, might just be a coincidence, they will cultivate green/blackfly but they won't eat the whole plant like that either.

• Like 1

you didn't see these ants tho,  lol they looked pretty mean b*stards 

But, seriously, yes that quite possible, but they had over run the entire soil in the tyre, everywhere they were.

and the missing plant sites were the only ones over run with them. 

Any idea what it could have been that ate my little seedlings, they only had a couple of ctylodons on them. 

It wasn't deer or that, or id have picked it up on my trail cam, along with the 400 odd images ive just trawled through ….all of them  just ..showing a branch waving about :unsure:

5 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

Any idea what it could have been that ate my little seedlings, they only had a couple of ctylodons on them.

you put them out that small? i would have given them a bit of light at home first mate.

being that small a slug would eat that for a starter!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

Any suggestions on how to protect the remaining ones

Cinnamon powder.. They won’t cross it.. a small circular barrier would do it better than loosely scattered I would think.

:smokin:
eta. @Arshlay saw no one answered your similar post

Edited by Era
  • Like 2

this was them when they went out. ok slightly bigger than just first leaves, but hardly a decent size to go out, I was a bit late this year getting started. large_103.JPGlarge_100.JPG

ill raid the cupboard and get some cinnamon powder down there, thanks for the help. 

• Like 2

Slugs having a rave at your expense . 

Ants will cut away roots that get in their way but they arent herbivores they prefer bugs

• Like 1

plenty of big ants around tonight...reckon it'll be flying ant day tomorrow ....

don't think ants ate your plants though:dev: 

might be worth having a dig around to see if they’ve been buried?

‘When ant colonies build their nests under plants it disturbs the roots and deprives the plants of water. They can also bury plants by depositing soil on them when excavating nests – which can be very damaging in rockeries and flower pots.

:smokin:

Edited by Era