First time

Webby77

Hi,

looking for advice..

Doing my first grow in coco, strain is gelato, in to second week of veg 18/6 in 50 litre pots.

my question is how much water would you give them and what should I want my blue lab truncheon to be ideally reading?

at the minute I give both plants about half a litre every other day of canna a/b and rhizo- blue lab is reading 1.8 - is this too high? On canna a/b it says 1.2-2.3.

thanks in advance 

50L? Seriously? You growing in a circus tent? And 1.8 is a little punchy. 1.4 should see you through veg and even that is on the strong side for me. 

I'm in my second week of veg and I'm in litre pots feeding at 0.6 and they are rocketing. Will up to 0.8 in a week or two or whenever they show signs. I'm also in Coco and canna and water every day.

Think about lowering your ec a tad.

Good luck

Edited by M Pamplemousse
Spelling

I know I thought they were big!

ill bring my ec down and start watering everyday, do I need to see run off with them been in 50litres!?

It would take a pretty long time to get salt build up in 50L, I wouldn't worry until they are drinking plenty, which could be a long time! 

1 hour ago, Webby77 said:

I know I thought they were big!

ill bring my ec down and start watering everyday, do I need to see run off with them been in 50litres!?

Don't water them everyday and too run off or you will quickly drown them mate. You've made life a lot harder then it needs to be by going for 50 litre pots, doubt I could veg a 50l pot out in a 1.2x1.2 tent before it needs flipping. Hard to tell roughly how much you should be feeding without pics aswell 

• Like 2

It wasn’t my voice for 50’s I’ve had a bloke schooling me even though I knew it was too big..

thanks for the replies guys

50l pots.. its not gonna be vegging properly until that is completely rooted out and like said above you wont manage to root them out before switching.. 

You say youre 2 weeks into the grow, what i would do is, I would dive deep into the medium and try and pull out the plant WITH the roots trying not to damage or lose any, and pot it into a 2 litre one to begin with. Try to grab as much medium as you can do not brush it off before putting it into the new pot. With a smaller pot you can both, have runoff AND avoid drowning it. Wait until thats rooted out or you see roots peeking out the bottom holes and then you can put it into the next pot which should be 6-11L. If y ou want to repot again i will suggest 6L. If you want the next to be the last container then i suggest 11L but again, you need to measure runoff to know whether everything you are doing is right, and for that you actually have to be able to achieve watering with runoff without drowning.
If growing in Coco you need your runoff to match your inflow, if your runoff is too high you need to reduce feed (not by much 0.1-0.2 EC), or increase the times you water daily, but you wont see that until at least week 4. Everytime the plant drinks youve got a buildup of salts in the medium, what youre essentially doing everytime you water is wash those salts off, giving your plant fresh water with fresh nutes. IF you OD (if) make sure you flush your medium with the correct EC. WHat does that mean? Water your medium until your runoff is lower than it was. Example: Week 6 of veg you water your plant and you notice your runoff is at 3EC, you make a feed at 1.6-1.7 EC and water until your runoff will read between those numbers. DO NOT follow a dry/wet cycle, thats for soil. 

If youre set on growing in that 50l pot i would suggest you crumble the medium regularly and create cracks in it so that oxygen can reach the roots, but also allow for some water to leave the container (i dont know how that will work 50l its like a childs swimming pool)
I hope my rambling gave you at least some info ^_^ good luck my dude <3

Edited by DreamCatcher
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Webby77 said:

It wasn’t my voice for 50’s I’ve had a bloke schooling me even though I knew it was too big..

thanks for the replies guys

Not too worry mate, like you said it's your first time and you were told otherwise by a experienced grower. We've all made mistakes growing this glorious plant, best part is you can fix them on the next one :bong:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DreamCatcher said:

50l pots.. its not gonna be vegging properly until that is completely rooted out and like said above you wont manage to root them out before switching.. 

You say youre 2 weeks into the grow, what i would do is, I would dive deep into the medium and try and pull out the plant WITH the roots trying not to damage or lose any, and pot it into a 2 litre one to begin with. Try to grab as much medium as you can do not brush it off before putting it into the new pot. With a smaller pot you can both, have runoff AND avoid drowning it. Wait until thats rooted out or you see roots peeking out the bottom holes and then you can put it into the next pot which should be 6-11L. If y ou want to repot again i will suggest 6L. If you want the next to be the last container then i suggest 11L but again, you need to measure runoff to know whether everything you are doing is right, and for that you actually have to be able to achieve watering with runoff without drowning.
If growing in Coco you need your runoff to match your inflow, if your runoff is too high you need to reduce feed (not by much 0.1-0.2 EC), or increase the times you water daily, but you wont see that until at least week 4. Everytime the plant drinks youve got a buildup of salts in the medium, what youre essentially doing everytime you water is wash those salts off, giving your plant fresh water with fresh nutes. IF you OD (if) make sure you flush your medium with the correct EC. WHat does that mean? Water your medium until your runoff is lower than it was. Example: Week 6 of veg you water your plant and you notice your runoff is at 3EC, you make a feed at 1.6-1.7 EC and water until your runoff will read between those numbers. DO NOT follow a dry/wet cycle, thats for soil. 

If youre set on growing in that 50l pot i would suggest you crumble the medium regularly and create cracks in it so that oxygen can reach the roots, but also allow for some water to leave the container (i dont know how that will work 50l its like a childs swimming pool)
I hope my rambling gave you at least some info ^_^ good luck my dude <3

That's brilliant thank you so much for all the info!

id like to move to smaller pots but I risk upsetting the person that's helping me, I'll see how it goes and I'll read up on vegging properly - THANKS AGAIN!

• Like 1

I can see how a 50L pot with SOIL would be alright to grow in, because that essentially simulates outdoor growth, but then again you are in coco, and coco is not soil, coco is the closest to hydroponics without the fuss with tanks and tubes and sprinklers, meaning it needs a different approach to it. If you are researching things online, make sure you specifically search for "Growing in Coco", or make "Coco" one of the key search words. Your nutes should also be "coco safe" or coco specific.

Also make sure you make a grow diary on here :D people are very kind and will always have something to say, unlike other sites that are full of proffessional growers and instead of solid advice you get salty attitudes and sarcasm.. 

Edited by DreamCatcher
  • Like 1

My tent is 2.4 x 1.2

im researching specifically to coco - finding it really interesting, spent a few quid so want to get it right! Concentrating at the minute on deficiencies and toxicity and being able to identify - I know run off is important but not sure how I do that in 50s without drowning them! My ec was 2.2 but I’ve lowered down to 1.0

• Like 2

Your best bet on the deficiencies/problems in coco will be Cal-Mag, Nitrogen and over/under watering/feeding. The rest are extreme situations and dont worry yourself too much, same as googling a headache, will lead you to believe youve got cancer.

If you feed a bit more nitrogen than the plant can take that can make the roots lock out other nutrients that the plant needs and will be showing you a deficiency even though you are already giving it enough of everything, in that case dont panic, just ease on the N and in a few days the plant will recover. If you see a deficiency based on what youre researching make sure its not showing nitrogen burns or clawed leaves before proceeding to fix the deficiency.

Im sorry if this comes as an overload of info i literally started at the beggining of april and i really wish somebody would tell me these things before i lost half of my life panicking about wtf is going on with my plant.. If you need info, all you need to do is ask :D

There is an article called Plant doctor on Growweedeasy that lists every single problem you could encounter, if you suspect a problem please DO NOT rush to fix it as the problem might not be a problem after all, or because of early stage you might missidentify the problem as being something else.

Obviously dont trust one article blindly make sure you get at least 2 or 3 opinions from different sources, combine them all, youve got your OWN opinion :D

• Like 1