DIY System

Kev.k

I’m thinking of building this system but for 4 plants rather than 12.

This box from Argos seems great value. Does anyone think the raised lid might be a problem?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5530647?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=ipxaatiwt&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:844-913-7556|cid:9555148932|agid:99725691004|tid:pla-890348726349|crid:422972006068|nw:g|rnd:7783569364633366807|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9046644&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9555148932&utm_term=5530647&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=99725691004&utm_custom2=844-913-7556&gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhcw-0B5Kq0CtrK9Q4qFCAPPZD4Yoyxqmd_1MCs3sb_ugu_07JiR0ORoC3SMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

i would add a air stone to the reservoir and connect a water butt outside the tent to top up the res easy. I’d use the a clear pipe in place of their refill pipe to act as a water level indicator like on a water farm. 

Thanks

Edited by Kev.k

38 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Don't bother wasting your time. :yep:     

‘What makes you say that?

It seems similar to a water farm which I’ve used in the past. 

Easier to list the flaws with this design..

No way to control nute solution temperature, it's not insulated so your nute temperature will be same as ambient temperature of grow room, maybe 28c during light on, and <18c lights off. 

Small volume of water/nutes will mean huge temperature swings and you'll most likely need to top up twice  daily during flower. 

If you get pythum due to high nute temperatures, all plants will be affected simultaneously. 

Weight of plants could warp the lid, lift the edges and/or push out the foam discs/netpots, the lid  is also somewhat transparent which will cause algae growth.    

Plants roots will knit together making inspections difficult without lifting all  plants still inside lid.

If you put a dome over the top,  it would be good for rooting  clones but not for flowering Cannabis. What is he growing there?  :unsure:      

Which 'water farm' did you use?   If you mention an Aerogarden I'm out. :)  

Please don't quote me every time you respond, or post spam links. lol    

• Like 1

the original ghe ones. I used to refil/level pipes to connect them together and had a separate reservoir. Worked well.

Edited by Kev.k

I amended it before you replied. It’s a habit from arguing on car forums. 

The Amazon aeroponic system I was looking at has only a 50 lt reservoir, and the water farms held a lot less. 

Would the temp swings be less of a issue with the 145lt box from Argos? 

I appreciate I would need to reinforce the lid but it is water and light tight. 

I wanna get it right as I’m thinking of using LED’s for the first time. 

I could always dig out the old water farms. 

Edited by Kev.k
  • Like 1

aeroponic systems and water farms are two totally different things.

if im honest, and if you want an easy life, id stick with the modified waterfarms, these work well when recirculated.

Aeroponics is great in theory, but theory and practice are 2 different things as well, ive seen a few aeroponic grows, but not many successful ones, compared to those which go tits up. don't get me wrong, when it works it works really well, but a lot of the time it ends with root issues high res temps and failure (this is just my own experience with it, there are people out there who make it work, like @Geo on here), but from my own experience and it was a while ago, you really really have to be on point with nutrient strengths and ph etc. ive never completed a aeroponic grow, which I would call successfully. ive had bud at the end of it, but that's not the same as success. I didn't persevere with it so maybe you can make it work.

If you give it a go anyway, be sure and put up a diary, id love to be proved wrong on this one..

• Like 1

@badbillybob I was thinking this would be a combination of aeroponics and DWC? The roots would inevitably hit the water. 

Tbh I think the home made spray system he made from pvc pipe and a pump in the OP, looks much better than what you get with the Amazon aeroponic system. 

Edited by Kev.k

yeah original post system does look better, and ive heard of loads of folk having issues with the amazon systems.

im not sure how bigger plants would do in those diddly neoprene collars.

sounds like you are gonna go with aero anyway?

good luck, I suspect your gonna need it 

5 hours ago, badbillybob said:

yeah original post system does look better, and ive heard of loads of folk having issues with the amazon systems.

im not sure how bigger plants would do in those diddly neoprene collars.

sounds like you are gonna go with aero anyway?

good luck, I suspect your gonna need it 

I’m not fully decided. 

The baskets are available at 11” wide and i would use 4 with clay pebbles in a 165lt res if I go this route. 

The first one to me isn’t really aero. It’s DWC with aero sprayers below the lid rather than DWC with a drip ring above like a water farm. 

Edited by Kev.k

A 5 gallon bucket is big enough for an aero cloner but thats about it. I dont rate the standard amazon, the roots head straight for the floor and form into a mat.The roots at 0:17 in the video are more dish cloth than aero.

• Like 1