After advice on utilising H80xW60xD60cm area.

Oswrick

Hi guys

I've settled on an area of the house I can use for growing. By that I mean my wife has :mellow:. I've the space of a standard undercounter cupboard (slightly deeper maybe) so I thought I may as well do a cupboard grow. At least then it should blend in with the rest of the room.

I've ordered a 4inch fan with carbon filter and a friend is lending me a 50w LED cob.

I plan to grow autos for now

Do you guys think the 50w will be enough for that space?

Do I need an intake fan too?

Any rough guesses on what yield I could expect with that wattage and growing area?

Any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hope you're all staying safe!

Oswrick

I doubt you'll need an intake fan with that light as long as there's vent holes to draw in air to replace that being extracted. The vents should be at the bottom and the extraction near the top as heat rises. Hard to know about the light without knowing the exact model as led wattages are all over the place with exaggerated claims and 'equivalences'. When I started growing I grew autos in an old-fashioned trashcan with 8 household led light bulbs built into the lid. I still use it to veg seedlings but tbh I never got much more than an ounce per grow when flowering in it and usually less. Also I soon switched from autos to photos which I found much easier to work with.

• Like 3

Thanks Hone Heck, I'm pleased you mentioned about the positioning of the fans, had been wondering where to put them and now it seems obvious.

The picture he sent me doesn't show the model unfortunately, all I know is its round and the lights purplish lol. Hes grown for years though so hopefully it's not too bad. 

I'm pleased I should be able to get away without an inlet fan, helps save a bit of cash and keeps the noise down. Gotta make sure the wifes happy and that's sure gonna help.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Where's the extraction going?.

Is the fan and filter in the grow space or ducted remotely?.

With a space that size I'd probably try a single plant scrog, although I'd mount the net supports to a drip tray under the pot so I could pull the whole lot out for trimming etc

50w isn't a huge amount of light for that space, I'd want 100/150w+ personally, but @diyleduk is the guy for LEDs around here, I run his kit and it's quality :yep:

• Like 5

Thanks Ranec, the extraction can go straight through the wall next to where ill have the cupboard. I will try and find a way to keep the filter outside of the box to maximise space, if I cant then I suppose it will have to go inside.

That's a really good idea attaching the scrog to the drip tray, I'll make sure to do that. 

I've got a few led strips I can pop down the sides too but not many. Hopefully that helps a little bit? I can maybe upgrade in the future though.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Sounds good bud, throw up a build thread when your ready as these kinds of builds are always interesting :yep:

My only other advice would be to check the 'warmth' (k value) of any lightning you use - too cold (4/5k) and internodal distance gets mighty tight (and upward growth can stop almost all together). I germ'd my first plant under a 20w household LED bulb that did the trick, but at 5k (arctic blue) she was still only 2" high at 3 weeks old. Once I got her into my new veg cab with one of Adams LED veg boards she took off and was put into flower soon after.

• Like 1

Ok mate I will do, just had the carbon filter delivered, didn't realise how big they were so I'm definitely going to see about having it outside of the box!

I'll look into that with the lights, I've got one around 4 days old from breaking the soil surface in the sun in the daytime (not that theres much atm) and then under an IKEA desk lamp for a few hours on the evening until I can get set up, shes around 2" tall atm.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Depending on what's either side of your cupboard you might be able to build a remote airbox onto the outside and vent out that way

large.5ee3a18ba0e5d_Project-Drawing16662462919798541697.jpg

If there's another cuboard next to the grow space the filter box could be concealed easily enough. The red dots are intake vents to the rear and the red slash is vents linking the grow space and filter box. If you can manage to suspend the fan and filter within the airbox it'll dampen some of the resonant hum. You'll also probably want to light / air proof your space - don't underestimate how smelly even a vegging cannabis plant can be - and light baffles on the intakes helps stop your 'stealth' space glowing at night :yep:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oswrick said:

Ok mate I will do, just had the carbon filter delivered, didn't realise how big they were so I'm definitely going to see about having it outside of the box!

Thanks!

Hi Os,I might be able to help... I use a wheelchair so can't lift the fan & filter up top. I'm using a 1m x 1m x 2m so there's not loads of space.

I opted for #4 on the diagram below. As it's blowing through the filter, you'll need a pre-filter of some form. A cotton sock or half a pair of tights does the trick for, me but do your research, don't strain your fan.

(Image found on this site, posted by a user who's name I forget) large.5ED453EE-C1B8-487C-AB18-3A508A4DB8BE.jpeg

Hope this helps man :yinyang:

• Like 3

Hey why don't you try to make a cradle out a rectangular peice of wood (half inch ply or what's handy) then put wee strips like lathe to stop it rolling off. Get four screw hooks out of snoofix and use ratchets ropes like for the lights to raise it up and down. Hope this helps.

Edited by TheGreenShabeenReturns

On 12/06/2020 at 5:00 PM, Ranec said:

Depending on what's either side of your cupboard you might be able to build a remote airbox onto the outside and vent out that way

large.5ee3a18ba0e5d_Project-Drawing16662462919798541697.jpg

If there's another cuboard next to the grow space the filter box could be concealed easily enough. The red dots are intake vents to the rear and the red slash is vents linking the grow space and filter box. If you can manage to suspend the fan and filter within the airbox it'll dampen some of the resonant hum. You'll also probably want to light / air proof your space - don't underestimate how smelly even a vegging cannabis plant can be - and light baffles on the intakes helps stop your 'stealth' space glowing at night :yep:

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm thinking of mounting it to the side of the cupboard, keeping the cupboard just over the width of the filter away from the wall and using some nice wood to hide it. Hopefully it will all look "natural". 

With regards to light proofing, I was thinking of putting a smallish tent inside the cupboard so I didn't have to worry about it but that will reduce my space, how do you go about light proofing?

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 5:18 PM, Professor_X said:

Hi Os,I might be able to help... I use a wheelchair so can't lift the fan & filter up top. I'm using a 1m x 1m x 2m so there's not loads of space.

I opted for #4 on the diagram below. As it's blowing through the filter, you'll need a pre-filter of some form. A cotton sock or half a pair of tights does the trick for, me but do your research, don't strain your fan.

(Image found on this site, posted by a user who's name I forget) large.5ED453EE-C1B8-487C-AB18-3A508A4DB8BE.jpeg

Hope this helps man :yinyang:

That helps a lot bro, number 4 is prob what I'll have mine look like too, I'm pleased you posted the diagram because I was unsure which way round the fan and filter were to go lol. 

May I ask why the need for a pre filter? Just trying to learn as much as possible. I'm still waiting to pick up this light from my pal but I still need to wait until the beginning of next month to get a tent/build a cupboard. Having to rely on the great British weather atm and I'm a lil worried for when she needs to go into the big  pot because it's not as inconspicuous.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 9:50 AM, 80085 said:

Here's my micro grow setup dude might help you out..

I'll check it out bro, thank you.

9 hours ago, TheGreenShabeenReturns said:

Hey why don't you try to make a cradle out a rectangular peice of wood (half inch ply or what's handy) then put wee strips like lathe to stop it rolling off. Get four screw hooks out of snoofix and use ratchets ropes like for the lights to raise it up and down. Hope this helps.

That's a good idea, should help keep the noise at bay.