Tiny green caterpillar?

Katchum

3 of my seeding look as tho summat eating them, starts of with a hole that looks as tho leaf is transparent an then few hours later it’s an actual hole, been looking am looking for ages with a little magnifying glass an eventually have found an squished what I think was 2 tiny caterpillars?  Is this likely an what are they an how do I ensure the don’t come back, any advice welcome 

59 minutes ago, Katchum said:

starts of with a hole that looks as tho leaf is transparent an then few hours later it’s an actual hole,

Sounds like leaf miners, various species but the conventional remedy inolves heavy systemic insecticides which affect the plant's metabolism. You might be best off just picking off the infected leaves and hoping you don't get many more .

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Sounds like leaf miners, various species but the conventional remedy inolves heavy systemic insecticides which affect the plant's metabolism. You might be best off just picking off the infected leaves and hoping you don't get many more .

It’s actually the very first wee round leaves that’s been eaten, I think iv got them official found one on each seedling, I could bin the seedlings but they the last 2 of my fast green crack seeds and would rather keep em of possible? 

Are they likely to get  on the rest of the plants?

1 minute ago, Katchum said:

Are they likely to get  on the rest of the plants?

I've only had a few attacks, and never seen any reports of bad infestations. They probably won't spread to the others and don't usually do too much damage. No need to chop the Green Crack.

• Like 1

Just now, Sasquatch said:

I've only had a few attacks, and never seen any reports of bad infestations. They probably won't spread to the others and don't usually do too much damage. No need to chop the Green Crack.

Cheers buddy I’ll keep me eye on em, an have a read up now I know I what they are, thanks again

5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Leaf miners don't make holes and don't look like caterpillars. 

This is a picture I took of leaf miner damage last year on some nasturtiums. Quite unmistakable 

large.IMG_20180712_30101.jpg.550d5f7fb3b

Pesticides can be used but the far better option is to treat your leaves with a natural bacteria called bacillius thuringiensis. It's sold under a different name but googling should find it.

I mention this because this is also the organic treatment used to kill caterpillars which is what the op probably has. 

Couldnt grow brassicas without it 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Leaf miners don't make holes and don't look like caterpillars. 

I didn't say they did. Katchum did, I interpreted what he said as amounting to leaf miners.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I didn't say they did. Katchum did, I interpreted what he said as amounting to leaf miners.

I know, but you diagnosed the pest as leaf miner from symptoms not associated with leaf miner. I was just correcting a false diagnosis and explaining why that's all bud for anyone else reading. 

6 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

symptoms not associated with leaf miner.

You're nitpicking, Katchum used imprecise words to describe what I interpreted as being leaf miners, which you also did from the same post. So it's not a false diagnosis is it ?

I said it can't be leaf miners. I wasnt agreeing with you on the diagnosis. I was telling you why you were wrong from the "imprecise" words he used. I wasn't looking for an argument. 

Just stating that a bug that makes a hole  and is small, green and caterpillar like cannot be a leaf miner. They mine through the leaf not make a hole so it can't be that. The picture posted was proof and gives the op chance to compare with being able to see a leaf miner and the damage it causes and whether its the same as what he has.

Perhaps re read the thread 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer

Yes, take your point, but what Katchum describes sounds like leaf miners i.e. as in your photo. It would help if Katchum could post one ?

• Like 1

Sorry guys for not wording it properly. I found a couple of holes that looked like summat had taken a layer of the leaf leaving it very thin, then when I come back it was a perfect little hole, I then found a couple of tiny little thin wrigglers, an they were prob about 5mm long and or thick, they was both hanging off the edge of the leafs they had been chomping on, an I squished them both there an then, like iv said it was the 2 first round leaves on both seedling that’s they have damaged, but seems to have stopped( for now anyways) 

I do hope it’s sorted, an would really have loved to have kept them for a pic so I’d have knows what they’re as or future ref

• Like 1