EC pen Recommendation

Bushmat

Evening, 

I'm attempting to EC measure on my next grow.

Has anyone got recommendations on a cheap decent pen to buy? 

Iv never had a problem with my Bluelab pens , abit pricey but well worth it. I have also heard people raving about the Bluelab truncheon. 

I bought a blue lab truncheon after hearing all the raves about it. Looks the business to be honest, so I'd say you wont go far wrong with one.

3 minutes ago, ItainteazyE said:

I bought a blue lab truncheon after hearing all the raves about it. Looks the business to be honest, so I'd say you wont go far wrong with one.

Mines over 15 years old and only used 3 batteries 

Just now, thatman said:

Mines over 15 years old and only used 3 batteries 

Sounds like my girlfriends dildo...

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, ItainteazyE said:

Think I'll buy something cheaper first. See how I get on using one.

30 minutes ago, Bushmat said:

Think I'll buy something cheaper first. See how I get on using one.

Just so you know, from what ive read online and on these forums, cheapos from well known online retailers are no good.

Its worth the investment if it could potentially stop you losing your crop down the line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ItainteazyE said:

Just so you know, from what ive read online and on these forums, cheapos from well known online retailers are no good.

Its worth the investment if it could potentially stop you losing your crop down the line.

Think I'll read into EC a bit more before getting one then. :george:

4 minutes ago, ItainteazyE said:

Think I'll read into EC a bit more before getting one then. :george:

1 hour ago, ItainteazyE said:

Sounds like my girlfriends dildo...

think thats gotta be your sig now lol 

• Like 2

Alrite pal, depends what you need for in terms of setup.

If you need to measure a tank regularly or can afford one get a decent unit, as mentioned bluelab is good.

Though spending that much isnt needed if you only want to know what 1ml of this and that does to your water. You can spend £5 on a shit one, confirm it is somewhat accurate and do some test mixes to learn your nutes. It wont be bang on and they die quick but far better than having no info, guessing or following a feed chart.

Find an essentials or hm digital for £15 and you'll be ok in most application as long as you dont completely rely on it.

Edited by Claro

• 1 month later...

I bought one, It measures fresh water the same value as my Pancellent digital one. But when i add nutes to the water, the digital reads 3.6EC and the truncheon reads 1.8. 
large.Problem.jpg
I ordered the Calibration and cleaning kit, even though the tool os literally a few days old and i shouldnt really be thinking about calibration or maintenance yet..
I made feed following the numbers on the Digital meter, 1.6EC (after already stressing the plant with N toxicity) and when i tested it with the truncheon it read me .8EC.

Now please do not think i am trying to bad mouth Bluelabs or their products, there are literally NO posts about faulty truncheon tools but for some reason mine measures half of what the digital does. Should that be the case? Is there some sort of conversion table or do companies make different values and translate them in different ways? I just cant explain this difference in values...