Surprise... it's mites

SYZYGY

Had a real bad week of mental rubbish and let my guard down... and now I have a mite infestation - a week before I wanted to flip.

Haven't been anywhere near other grows or cuttings so hoping it's the garden sort. 

Not much leaf damage... yet... but absolutely shit loads of juveniles everywhere. 

Ordered Ambylseius Californicus and Phytoseiulus Persimilis but lead time is up to 3 days.

I've got the RH up to 75% and temp down to 25°C with gale-force air circulation.

What to do in the meantime? I could probably get the girls in the shower before lights off or would I be better manually washing the leaves with soapy water? 

I have some Floramite but would only ever use that as last resort. 

Girls are clearly stressed and showing lock-out despite environment being absolutely bang-on. Still drinking well and growing. To be honest that may have been my stress being passed on them this past week but these little munchy shites have gotta go :pitchfork:

22 hours ago, SYZYGY said:

manually washing the leaves with soapy water?

2-3 times per day if you can....should bring the numbers right down ready for your predator mites to mop up the rest:yep:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, buddy13 said:

2-3 times per day if you can....should bring the numbers right down ready for your predator mites to mop up the rest:yep:

If your gonna do this be very careful. It's easy to do more damage than good. 

I'd just wait for the predators. They will soon have things cleared up 

• Like 2

@buddy13 @blackpoolbouncer

Appreciate the response fellas :yep: 

I opted to give them a thorough blasting in the shower before lights-off yesterday. Quick check this morning and there's much fewer marching around.

I'll leave it now till the microscopic security crew arrive, other than verbally and officially declaring war on the invaders. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there, I've had shocking invasions but last year I found and started using 'liquid Potassium soap' a recommended organic product. It did'nt totally eradicate  but it certainly knocked them right down to very small managed areas, i sprayed 1,2 times per week with a little zapping in between.

I only used it when i found the mites but this year i'm using it in veg period to ensure far less bloom attack.

• Like 2

I use sbpi for years it’s good :stoned: think it’s just washing up liquid and wee when you smell it lol 

for bad mite infection I use Harkers pigeon, but don’t like too because we’ve got a dog (toxic) but it works a treat!

neem oil too as another option.. :yinyang:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/07/2020 at 11:52 AM, twigs said:

for bad mite infection I use Harkers pigeon, but don’t like too because we’ve got a dog (toxic) but it works a treat!

neem oil too as another option.. 

same here.. dogs.

Neem smells pretty bad though, and there are a few others that will also get rid of mites..

I’m using a blend of lemon, clove, cinnamon, rosemary and thyme. Smells good and kills mites, thrips, fungus gnats and more.

Mine get preventatively diffused daily for an hour at the beginning of each lights out.

Kills any bugs and doesn’t bother the plants the dogs or me.

:smokin:

Edited by Era
  • Like 1

If your not running an organic regime,Floramite gets a big thumbs up from me.

Obviously be careful follow instructions dont breath shit in etc.

• 1 month later...
On 25/07/2020 at 7:31 PM, Era said:

same here.. dogs.

Neem smells pretty bad though, and there are a few others that will also get rid of mites..

I’m using a blend of lemon, clove, cinnamon, rosemary and thyme. Smells good and kills mites, thrips, fungus gnats and more.

Mine get preventatively diffused daily for an hour at the beginning of each lights out.

Kills any bugs and doesn’t bother the plants the dogs or me.

Hi 

Im a newbie here and to growing . I have just discovered something attacking my first grow attempt .. not sure what they are yet but small black critters crawling over the lower leaves. Im trying to keep it as organic as poss. How do i make up what you are using?  Any help/recipe /instructions would be really appreciated!  

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2020 at 5:48 PM, Cee said:

Hi 

Im a newbie here and to growing . I have just discovered something attacking my first grow attempt .. not sure what they are yet but small black critters crawling over the lower leaves. Im trying to keep it as organic as poss. How do i make up what you are using?  Any help/recipe /instructions would be really appreciated!  

Hi @Cee..
I was fighting off one thing after another until I tried the essential oils.. no problems at all since.

Didn’t have much luck with spraying them.. The trick to it I think is to use a diffuser with the extraction off at dusk.. Bugs have olfactory receptors the same as we do, gassing them seems to work.

If you look into the various terpene profiles for each plant, they are often just making different combinations of the same terpenes in order to control similar pathogens.. Most are highly volatile, so won’t hang around for long which is great if you want to treat during flower.

Neem works really well but smells bad. It’s also solid at room temperature so will stay on the plants and continue to smell bad if used in flower.. Not such a bad thing for it to remain on a plant in veg though, as it will be effective for longer than other more volatile oils.

I found some Brazilian lemon flavour eucalyptus oil recently from neils yard that smells really good, fairly cheap, highly volatile.. I imagine the variety of bugs these plants have to contend with out there in the jungle is huge! Smells really similar to lemon balm but much cheaper.
The mint family are good and the effects are increased if combined with rosemary and clove, a combination which is also available at a much higher price branded as Essentria IC3 pesticide. This product also includes isopropyl alcohol as a propellant.. I do the same and worry a little less about explosions each time I do it :).

My current weapon of choice is the Raindrop Nebulizing Diffuser and at present my ammunition consists of..

3xdrops Brazilian lemon eucalyptus 

3xdrops peppermint

3xdrops clove

3xdrops tea tree

3xdrops rosemary

10ml isopropyl alcohol

I think it helps to use a combination of different oils, but if you want to get rid of bugs cheaply then the lemon eucalyptus would probably do it alone and I think it smells the best, followed closely by clove which also smells really good.
Neem is a quarter of the price of anything else, more effective and lasts longer.

good luck!

• Like 3

On 17/10/2020 at 7:25 PM, Era said:

Hi @Cee..
I was fighting off one thing after another until I tried the essential oils.. no problems at all since.

Didn’t have much luck with spraying them.. The trick to it I think is to use a diffuser with the extraction off at dusk.. Bugs have olfactory receptors the same as we do, gassing them seems to work.

If you look into the various terpene profiles for each plant, they are often just making different combinations of the same terpenes in order to control similar pathogens.. Most are highly volatile, so won’t hang around for long which is great if you want to treat during flower.

Neem works really well but smells bad. It’s also solid at room temperature so will stay on the plants and continue to smell bad if used in flower.. Not such a bad thing for it to remain on a plant in veg though, as it will be effective for longer than other more volatile oils.

I found some Brazilian lemon flavour eucalyptus oil recently from neils yard that smells really good, fairly cheap, highly volatile.. I imagine the variety of bugs these plants have to contend with out there in the jungle is huge! Smells really similar to lemon balm but much cheaper.
The mint family are good and the effects are increased if combined with rosemary and clove, a combination which is also available at a much higher price branded as Essentria IC3 pesticide. This product also includes isopropyl alcohol as a propellant.. I do the same and worry a little less about explosions each time I do it :).

My current weapon of choice is the Raindrop Nebulizing Diffuser and at present my ammunition consists of..

3xdrops Brazilian lemon eucalyptus 

3xdrops peppermint

3xdrops clove

3xdrops tea tree

3xdrops rosemary

10ml isopropyl alcohol

I think it helps to use a combination of different oils, but if you want to get rid of bugs cheaply then the lemon eucalyptus would probably do it alone and I think it smells the best, followed closely by clove which also smells really good.
Neem is a quarter of the price of anything else, more effective and lasts longer.

good luck!

Hi Era! 

Thanks so much for the advice. I think the whole diffusing idea is awesome. I did eventually get onto neem.. and seems to work fork alot of things on lots of different plants. .. the smell is not so much fun .. :-)) i found the main thing that helped for me was. . Checking daily and i would shower/ wash by hand 1 once a week.. once i began to understand about bugs /eggs under leaves/liking certain humidity/still learning .. it seems more like managing than getting everything "perfect" . It was apain in the ass as she got big:rolleyes: still flowering by the way:rolleyes:

Edited by Cee
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1