Troubleshooting R-DWC

Whambud

So I I know a landlord who's ended up having a load of shit left in his property... Police came shut the grow down and the guy renting done a runner!!  So I've got a 30 pot IWS R-DWC and trying to work out what's missing lol i think the original Flexi tank is gone and there isn't a brain bucket! I'm very interested in getting it all working so will throw up a few pictures of what I've got!

So we have everything together minus the pots and lids obviously that's simple to figure out

large.IMG_20200607_224708.jpg

Lots of connections, one air pump for the airstones one immersible pump, another pump with the big tube on ermmmm some filters to catch bits haha I'm out of my depth I haven't a clue what this is I'm not a dwc expert!

large.IMG_20200607_224744.jpg

large.IMG_20200607_224747.jpg

large.IMG_20200607_224737.jpg

No times no controllers... No brain bucket! However if I was going to use this I'd have it recirculating constantly so I can keep everything simple ;)

No too fussed about the brain bucket erm... I must admit how the fuck do I work out how much water to have in each pot.. no float valves... This is all a different language to me as my hydro is hand watering rockwool chippings lol

Thanks for any help let's get this baby working!!

I'd run like him if I seen all that haha I'm joking man good luck!! I can't help I run a few aqua farms or did  after a nightmare root rot grow..now just getting into the coco and can't say il go back to hydro  

the water finds its own level in this system.

the big pump with the float valve on it is a sump pump, its used for emptying out the system, and probably filling it up. 

the airlines look like they have anti syphon valves/one way valves on them. there is no brain bucket, its meant to be a constantly recirculating system. 

you would only need a flexi tank for topping the system up, its not an essential thing, just handy to save moving loads of buckets of water.

the hose has valves on it, this is to regulate the speed of the circulation, from the pumps. if it circulates too fast, the roots will get caught up in the return pipes.

the return pipes are the limiting factor in this entire system, they are narrow things, and could easily block imho. 

but im sure its usable, id be looking at buying a roll of hose to replace the stuff you have first tho, cos its probably full of algae inside it. 

good luck, airpump is good, sump pump is good etc, but if you set it up, mind and check for leaks before filling the whole system lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badbillybob said:

the water finds its own level in this system.

the big pump with the float valve on it is a sump pump, its used for emptying out the system, and probably filling it up. 

the airlines look like they have anti syphon valves/one way valves on them. there is no brain bucket, its meant to be a constantly recirculating system. 

you would only need a flexi tank for topping the system up, its not an essential thing, just handy to save moving loads of buckets of water.

the hose has valves on it, this is to regulate the speed of the circulation, from the pumps. if it circulates too fast, the roots will get caught up in the return pipes.

the return pipes are the limiting factor in this entire system, they are narrow things, and could easily block imho. 

but im sure its usable, id be looking at buying a roll of hose to replace the stuff you have first tho, cos its probably full of algae inside it. 

good luck, airpump is good, sump pump is good etc, but if you set it up, mind and check for leaks before filling the whole system lol. 

Cheers for getting involved mate!!

There's a 100l Flexi tank!

There's an aquarium pump that does 900 to 2300l per hour

There's the tacklife submersible anti freeze pump? With the hose fittings

Obviously the air pump!

Ermmm I think I need to make a few holes in the Flexi tank as I could imagine I doesn't have the fittings in it! Think the guy said the police slashed the original!

Mate I got a bargain! I have 4 isomax fans, c02 controller with detector and the bottle fitting valve... Loads of RVKs inlines you name it haha

@badbillybob

I'm literally ready to go mate I've got an unused silver bullet roots... 5l plant magic enzymes, flush it and 1l clean it.

Probably won't need 30 pots lol

I know the return pipes have these filters where you can pull bits out of it, just trying to get my head around all this so I really appreciate your help mate honest!

• Like 1

don't use the plant magic enzymes, it will fuck things up in these systems, keep away from anything with enzymes, fluvic, humic etc in them. 

And bleach everything before you use it... clean the filters etc.

I just use water butts from B&Q to be honest, they have a 19mm hose end on the tap, ideal for top ups

good luck with it. 

• Like 1

@badbillybob

Sorry to keep you mate just going to pick your brains one more time...

large.IMG_20200608_123800.jpg

That's the 100l Flexi tank... It has the fitting at the bottom and two on the sides one hose fitting

large.IMG_20200608_123750.jpg

As you can see buddy!

large.IMG_20200608_123852.jpg

Those are the 25l pots it has 1 litre net pots all the lids and bits!

Soooo I'm alright to use the silver bullet roots?

The pipes are huge so I reckon she runs good without any serious blocks! 

Was planning on cleaning her up on a nice day with lots of bleach nice and clean!!

I would make your own system up from The bits you have to your size needed and get rid of the rest. 

Having a look at the full system set up from other pics online should give you a basic understanding of the system and how it fits together 

New pipework and airstones  and thoroughly clean all the fittings/filters and I'm sure you will be able to get a decent setup from it 

Water finds its own level but if your using less pots in that system  you may need to downsize your pump as it could pump more water then your buckets can manage draining your head tank causing it to flood 

Nice haul anyway lol

Atb

Matt

• Like 1

Last thing I promise lol

I could in theory run pH and EC controllers in the Flexi tank to avoid me constantly needing to be there right?

I hand water my rockwool chippings ever 3/4 days at the minute so I'm not really in a position to constantly be there 

1 minute ago, Intense Nutrients Matt said:

I would make your own system up from The bits you have to your size needed and get rid of the rest. 

Having a look at the full system set up from other pics online should give you a basic understanding of the system and how it fits together 

New pipework and airstones  and thoroughly clean all the fittings/filters and I'm sure you will be able to get a decent setup from it 

Water finds its own level but if your using less pots in that system  you may need to downsize your pump as it could pump more water then your buckets can manage draining your head tank causing it to flood 

Nice haul anyway lol

Atb

Matt

One aquarium pump moves 2300 to 900 litres an hour

And that tacklife moves 9000 lol

Not too sure if I can turn her down? 

Yep ec and ph meter in the res would work fine. I wouldn't be using the flexi as a res tho, its more for topping up the system when tit needs more water .

and yes they silver bullet is basically hydrogen peroxide diluted anyway ( a weak bleach). so would be ok to use.  I would get what you have together, and run a bleach solution through it. I would also replace the pipework tho, and the airstones, , depending on the design of the pots you could do as Matt says and make your own system, which would be much better bet, that's what I would do

the sump pump isn't for running in the system, its just for emptyin the system, the small pump will probably work fine, if its adjustable.

Are the bucket sides where the connectors attach flat and vertical?

Guys thank you so much! To be honest everything I see online uses a brain bucket but I'm not that sure if I need it.

I'm not expect but even I thought why not just run circulation constantly?

But the last thing I want is to create a black hole with the power of the pumps lol

How many pots minimum would you recommend?

• Like 1

brain bucket is afor flood and drain systems, for recirc dwc the brain pot as you call it is just a reserviour.

you could use a small 4 pot system to kick off with, but like I said, id modify it to work better. if I the pots has flat sides?

• Like 1