Variac

Dirk-Diggler

Sorry, another Variac thread and probably not my last post on the subject consider what I am currently struggling with lol

I have all the bits to put together a variac build. From reading all the threads in here I think I know what to wire where etc and what fuses I need.

But one simple question to start, how do I get the dial off the Variac so I can mount it in the box?

Sorry if that is really basic...

I didn't take any dials off. The measurement plate was free on mine. You drill the mounting holes through, mount the Variac to the back of the box. Glue or stick - ignore I pop riveted the plate on - the measuring plate to the front. Does that make sense? 

Edited by ROCKSTEADY6
Pop rivet stuff
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

If you are talking about the dial there is a screw in the bottom. Turn it over. 

Is that all the way through on the other side?

large.IMG_20200518_171302_compress27.jpg

See in this picture. Right above the middle number on the thermostat is the screw that needs undoing. Where the measurement dial hasn't got any numbers etc. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone still building variacs for fans obviously haven’t tried the new AC Infinity fans through DIYLEDUK. Inaudible at low speeds. Just a heads up, I know variacs are great, but EC motors have made great strides. Don’t be fooled by all EC Fans, as some do whine at lower RPM’s

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dirk_Diggler147 said:

@ROCKSTEADY6By any chance did you document the build for your controller?

Thinking of doing something similar as I have most of the parts here.

Hey mate. I didn't document it in full sorry. I go over it on my diary starting on this page (24) - 

Openairbud sent me a wiring diagram that was spot on. It took me a while to learn to read them but got there in the end. I am sure if you post it up with any questions people would be happy to help. Whereabouts are you stuck? 

• Like 1