Spider mite

gyo

Hi All. This morning i noticed spider mite on plants that are four to five weeks in flower. I’d describe it as early stages of infestation, present on a couple of top buds on four out of eight plants. Can anyone recommend an organic friendly option that would deal with this, or would i be better off using a chemical pesticide, if so what sort. I’m aware that time is of the essence, so far i’ve set the hot-box, lowered temperature and increased humidity. I’m not opposed to the chemical option if it means saving the crop but would prefer the organic path if it works. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Owderb

This is what i do, so is just my opinion but i've used this, and it works.  Found via a recommendation in here.  Get yourself some harkers harkamectin, you'll find it listed as a spot-treatment for mites in pigeons.  Dilute 1ml/L and apply everywhere.  Repeat twice, 3 days apart.  Ivermectin (the active ingredient) has a relatively short half life, using it now shouldn't have any adverse affect on your harvest it'll be long gone by time they are ready.  Added bonus harkers is really cheap, about £10 will make you 5L.

If that don't kill them (if you can't get to all the plant matter, you can easily miss a few), I doubt much will.  Little fuckers breed so quickly if you don't go terminator on them and eradicate on the first hit you're probably going to lose the battle.  What I did after an unsuccessful treatment was to empty the room of anything living and set off a smoke bomb.  Those things really go off tho, and contain toxins dangerous to pets, so proceed with caution.

ATB with the battle mate, hit em with all you've got and you mite (bad humour, i know :D)  win this

• Like 2

Just a side note - not related to the product above.... 

I sprayed for spider mite mid-flower and succeeded in burning the buds, which didn't recover the strength they had. 

I'd suggest either/or/and lifting the lights up/spraying during lights off but you may need to check for the above product which sounds the job. ;)

Good luck, bud ;)

• Like 3

Bad timing on mites, anything effective will f*ck your flowers.  Last 3 grows I have battled these fuckers.

Chop out heavily infested leaves.  Finish crop early when infestation gets overwhelming.  Spider mite webs over buds will equal bud rot.

Run them as long as you can, crop early and nuke your site 5 times before adding new plants.

Personal experience.

Insp.

Edited by Inspiration101
  • Like 4

Hi All, thanks for the advice, I’ve ordered some harkers harkamectin online. In the mean time, i’ve stripped infested leaves, used the hotbox for 12hrs and sprayed water:isopropanol at 10:1. All with lights off. Also i’ve lowered temp and increased humidity. Before and after looks a little better! How do you post/upload photos here? Thanks for dispensing knowledge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gyo said:

How do you post/upload photos here?

Here you go mate, nice lil guide :)

• Like 1

I had a spider mite problem for a couple of grows, really did try everything but in the end bit the bullet and got a Hot Box to vaporise sulphur, was a tad expensive but worked a treat.  Now I use it after every crop to deep clean the room and equipment.  Works on all beasties and fungus too.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, coolfire said:

I had a spider mite problem for a couple of grows, really did try everything but in the end bit the bullet and got a Hot Box to vaporise sulphur, was a tad expensive but worked a treat.  Now I use it after every crop to deep clean the room and equipment.  Works on all beasties and fungus too.

Now this I haven't tried, I've got a hotbox in the cupboard from years back when I used to grow in a damp shed lol Do you fog the incoming plants too or just the empty room? Cheers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frankie-smiles said:

Now this I haven't tried, I've got a hotbox in the cupboard from years back when I used to grow in a damp shed lol Do you fog the incoming plants too or just the empty room? Cheers.

Just the empty room, leave on for 24hrs then obviously vent well, then go around with pledge/Mr sheen (whatever is in at the pound shop) and my hoover.  Oh remember to get some glass cleaner for bulbs and shade. And that's it. Could do it with plants in but if I have bugs I use it in my veg room before.

• Like 2

Hi all, Yes 10% isoproponal 90% water, the plants look ok although any ill effect may take a couple of days to show. This is more of a halt/check rather than eradicate until i get some Harpers through. Thanks for the advice on uploading pics, will try and upload a couple later.

For anyone interested > https://www.growweedeasy.com/safe-cannabis-pesticides#alcohol-water

On 26/05/2020 at 0:22 PM, unity said:

Get yourself some harkers harkamectin, you'll find it listed as a spot-treatment for mites in pigeons. 

How toxic is Harkers? - I ask because growdrobe in bedroom, cats present!

I usually find neem oil and SB are adequate, but my present grow is getting eaten alive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HippyHair said:

Hot shot , no pest strip

They have a big cancer warning on the packet mate :unsure:

• Like 1