Wilma and handling roots at pot base?

sterling-archer

Ive read lots of views on this but is there any general consensus? 

I have roots coming out my pot bottoms now in the wilma and wondered what folk think is best? I had matting in the pots but they seem to have gone through it  anyway lol

I know they cant become pot bound thankfully but shall i just leave them be, drill holes as others do? or run around and panic? lol  I heard of drain holes been blocked with them so wondered. 

Definitely the last week on full strength root stim now so they settle down. Last thing i want is issues in a scrog i cant move 

Thanks

Sterl

• Like 1

you can get matts for this but it all depend on your temperatures,wilma is kind of a hydro hybrid ,recirculating systems

wecoming into the summer so i would get those matts-if water in your reservoir goes above 24C you are likely to get pythium

i had roots going to the wilma and out of 4 the one with roots in was the biggest.....

but make sure you have air stone in there

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sterling-archer said:

Definitely the last week on full strength root stim now so they settle down. Last thing i want is issues in a scrog i cant move 

the root stim what are you using? i use house and garden root excelurator but it leaves a coating on my buckets like a black film,i do not veg in wilmas,so keep eye on it so you don't get drippers blockage

also with the root excel. do not use in flower as they stretch the plants more than if you use without-coming to summer you don't want them to be too tall

• Like 1

@joba

In scrog so height shouldnt be a factor unless i mess up the net at least. There filling it well. 

Im using the Ga root stim bud and ill keep a close eye on res temps. So far its holding at 20 max so fine and i have ice ready incase.

The wilma trays do insulate well to be fair 

Sterl

• Like 1

You can drill extra holes in the tray and let them go in res. Use air stones and it kind of a hybrid system that works well 

• Like 3

I let my roots hit the rez.

Blockages happening on the drip feeders is what caused me problems.

• Like 1