Cloning to establish sex

The Green Hornet

Hi. I've done some searches but have found nothing on this topic. I'm doing an outdoor grow and don't want to grow out big plants that turn out to be male- as happened last year. I've taken clones from each plant and am giving them 12 hours of darkness but covering them with two thick black binliners from 12 hours after dawn, until dawn when I uncover them. The clones are doing fine and many have rooted. I spray them and air them regularly. The problem is that I'm not spotting any makes this way- they all seem to start pre-flowering as females. However I've spotted the first balls on a couple of the mothers/ fathers and pulled them as a result. What would be amazing would be photos of clones showing male preflowering. There's a youtube video where a guy is able to tell, but he does not explain how and there are no close ups of the males he identifies. Thanks for any help on this one. cheers

Are you sure the females with balls aren't just males? 

And if they are females showing balls already I'd be looking at different seed stock 

• Like 2

balls -males

hairs-female

it really is as simple as that.

a simple google image search will give you what your after..

• Like 2
2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Are you sure the females with balls aren't just males? 

And if they are females showing balls already I'd be looking at different seed stock 

For sure, so I binned those. These are subbie seeds from here so I want to pick out the males early, as they are taking up a space a girl could have.

10 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

balls -males

hairs-female

it really is as simple as that.

a simple google image search will give you what your after..

You'd think so wouldn't you. I've looked at a lot of photos and videos on this, but male flowering on a clone in 12-12 light is clearly an under-photographed subject. So you do what I'm doing and see balls growing- after how long please?

cheers

probs about 2 weeks...it depends how old the plant is...could be shorter on a mature plant...could be longer on an immature plant.

around the same time it takes a plant to show sex under 12/12.

male flowering on a clone is no different to a male showing sex from seed...google male flowers cannabis and that's what your looking for?

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

probs about 2 weeks...it depends how old the plant is...could be shorter on a mature plant...could be longer on an immature plant.

around the same time it takes a plant to show sex under 12/12.

male flowering on a clone is no different to a male showing sex from seed...google male flowers cannabis and that's what your looking for?

Thanks for the helpful answer mate. Yes I found a good thread on another forum where a guy wasn't sure as the plants first started to show. They're young plants so I'll just keep on with the 12-12. It's been about 3 weeks. No rush is there. cheers

• Like 1

The males look like little crab claw balls

the females are similar but the trained eye will tell you they are a little elongated compared to the male and then of course the hair is dead give away when it comes out. 

I thought you needed to wait for at least a month b4 u can take a clone for sexing purposes from a mother ? Or is this another urban myth I’ve picked up along they way ? 

• Like 2

Thanks for the description Zen-Zen. Yes I was just looking out for hairs or balls. The plants were started in early March, so I topped at the 4th node (of 5) and the top is the clone.

• Like 2