First impressions from a greenhorn

FarmToTable

I recently turned 30 and found myself thinking, "fucking hell, how am I 30? I don't feel that old". The realisation that I'm on the crest of having youth on my side whilst at the same time poisoning and harming myself with nicotine and all the rest of the harmful chemicals that go with smoking, not to mention stinking of baccy and even the impression it gives to others in this day and age (I work on people's property) - I'd had enough.

So late the other night after 4 or so weeks of heavy spliff smoking and around 5 rollups a day, I bought a 'plenty' vaporiser. I'm not going to touch on the pros and cons of this machine as that's not what this little story is about. Instead I'm going to try and describe the experience of using a vaporiser as someone who has always smoked joints and has ended up smoking rollups too.

I believe smoking tobacco has probably effected my general health quite significantly over the years, all of the combustion really if I'm honest. I have a constant and very slight weeze if I breath deeply and I should have more puff than I do. The problem is I like the ritual of rolling, putting it in my mouth and sparking up. 

These rituals seem to form a sort of roadmap for my brain. Visual and auditory cues that I think may well have something to do with the experience that we can generally be called getting high or having a smoke.

The point is that it can be difficult to stop doing something you associate with another thing which you like. With that said I think I've found my personal solution.

This morning I woke up and loaded what constitutes for me almost 2 joints into the vape chamber. I let it heat up and made a coffee. Put the news on. Then I took a hit. Now, yesterday I had a go when the machine arrived and I probably didn't use it as correctly as I did this morning. It is by the way quite easy to use, in actuality.This morning I got a strong, herbal hit that I can compare to a bong rather than a joint experience. I am very pleased and what pleases me the most is that I am now adequately stoned for a Sunday morning and I haven't smoked yet, and y'know what? - I don't need to.

I don't think you can put a price on health if you have money to spend on tobacco. What I used to see a novelty bit of kit for people who take things too far is now offering me a way to get the benefits from the herb without the bad habit I've picked up in my years of frequenting this mistress. I'd say give a vaporiser a go, see if it works for you. It could have huge benefits to your health. 

It's been an hour since my hit from the plenty and I'm still nicely stoned. Had a tangerine. Everything's going to be alright. 10/10

• Like 16

Keep going and dont let the monster win , every time you refuse tobacco the monster gets a little bit smaller until finally you only hear him now and again and easily ignore the little fecker. Give in once and its like adding water to a gremlin ...grows very quickly. 

I used a nicotine vape too so I could ween myself off it slowly. My herbal vape is an Arizer 2 solo and love it but could do with a bigger herb chamber !! they do take some getting used to esp when I had been smoking joints for 30 years plus .... Last smoked tobacco over 5 years ago now and it is certainly up there with the better moves I have made in my life. 

Well done dude :yep:

btw  "I recently turned 30 and found myself thinking, "fucking hell, how am I 30? I don't feel that old" ....... you will think that every decade until you die .... I dont feel any younger inside (apart from my bad guts) and Im 50 +  its just my level of fitness seems to drop exponentially and being a lazy cnut its difficult to do anything but sit around moaning that I just sit around moaning .... one day Ill cross that bridge , honest

• Like 7

Salutations FarmToTable,

8 hours ago, FarmToTable said:

I bought a 'plenty' vaporiser. I'm not going to touch on the pros and cons of this machine as that's not what this little story is about.  ...  ...give a vaporiser a go, see if it works for you.

Well never mind the ambivalence, this is apparently assuming all vaporizers are equivalent - which just ain't the case - starting with the effects on economical stress besides the vaporizer pricetag alone (in comparison smoke wastes noble molecules to feed a fire)...  Consequently it shouldn't come as a surprize to observe that the vaporizing device + ritual actually shape a user's consumption profile.

8 hours ago, FarmToTable said:

I haven't smoked yet, and y'know what? - I don't need to.

Although it's a great idea to invite smokers to quit and vaporize i'd certainly avoid even an appearance of suggesting that these machines can be acquired blindly.  A "joint" is a "joint" is a "joint" may sound true on average but the same certainly can't be said of vaporizers.  For example i initiated myself using the HerbalAire v2.1, e.g. a fairly decent table product, and nonetheless felt urged to customize it after ~6 months only to find that i require Inlet Water which is practically never found in any popular units, possibly because manufacturers prefer not to risk mixing moisture and electricity in their designs, or perhaps there's also the problem of people not enthousiast at the idea of inhaling exhaust gases, even if it's from clean-burning butane (water vapour and carbonic gas as from soft drinks).

Guess what, my human physiology doesn't tolerate Hot Dry Air Ovenizers as those gave me severe allergy signs after a couple years making circles around something purchased with little else than cost/reputation in mind:  it proved being very poorly adapted despite its respectable references exactly.  The implementation's quality itself wasn't to blame, honestly it's the fact that this was a solution attempting to meet the wrong agenda which caused me to spend over 2000 dollars since 2013 on customizing VaporGenie pipes instead, with renewed determination after i defined my own guiding line as "The Shortest Path of Lesser Transformation" (with Inlet Water included) which i couldn't have found based solely on reputation and pricetags.

IMHO Storz & Bickel, the Volcano manufacturer (...), must adapt and not the other way around or it's doomed after a remarkably long career already...

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.

4 minutes ago, Egzoset said:

Salutations FarmToTable,

Well this is apparently assuming all vaporizers are equivalent, which just ain't the case, starting with the effects on economical stress besides the vaporizer pricetag alone (in comparison smoke wastes noble molecules to feed a fire)...  Consequently it shouldn't come as a surprize to observe that the vaporizing device + ritual actually shape a user's consumption profile.

Although it's a great idea to invite smokers to quit and vaporize i'd certainly avoid even an appearance of suggesting that these machines can be acquired blindly.  A "joint" is a "joint" is a "joint" may sound true on average but the same certainly can't be said of vaporizers.  For example i initiated myself using the HerbalAire v2.1, e.g. a fairly decent table product, and nonetheless felt urged to customize it after ~6 months only to find that i require Inlet Water which is practically never found in any popular units, possibly because manufacturers prefer not to risk mixing moisture and electricity in their designs, or perhaps there's also the problem of people not enthousiast at the idea of inhaling exhaust gases, even if it's from clean-burning butane (water vapour and carbonic gas as from soft drinks).

Guess what, my human physiology doesn't tolerate Hot Dry Air Ovenizers as those gave me severe allergy signs after a couple years making circles around something purchased with little else than cost/reputation in mind:  it proved being very poorly adapted despite its respectable cost and reputation exactly.  The implementation's quality itself wasn't to blame, honestly it's the fact that this was a solution attempting to meet the wrong agenda which caused me to spend over 2000 dollars since 2013 on customized pipes instead, with renewed determination after i defined my own guiding line as "The Shortest Path of Lesser Transformation" (with Inlet Water included) which i couldn't have found based solely on reputation and pricetags.

IMHO Storz & Bickel, the Volcano manufacturer (...), must adapt and not the other way around or it's doomed after a remarkably long career already...

Mate, it's working for me. There's no assumptions being made just sharing my own personal and anecdotal experience. Think I need a joint after reading your analysis to be honest.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, FarmToTable said:

Mate, it's working for me.

I wrote much the same after spending 315+ $ only to realize what the real cost of my ignorance was, quite too late.

16 minutes ago, Egzoset said:

I wrote much the same after spending 315+ $ only to realize what the real cost of my ignorance was, quite too late.

I understand you're trying to help and I appreciate the advice. My number one concern is breaking the cycle and association with MJ and tobacco/nicotine. I've managed to only have a couple of puffs on a spliff today and two vaping sessions and my appetite has improved and also my mood, to a degree. It's too easy to point out the floors of something but as a short term solution and to break a habit, for me it's a damn good alternative. I've been told nicotine can effect your bodyweight and right now I need to put weight on due to some unintended weight loss. Today I vaped and ate more than have been recently, so right now it's a positive. Peace

• Like 9

I used to smoke weed and baccy, I just vape weed now and its much better, the taste and high is lovely and it doesn't stink either.

• Like 6

Great work @FarmToTable recently converted here to, I won't be going back. Love my mighty use it as my daily driver,still trying to find the quick hiter though. Seriously considering the vapcap. You will soon make your money back with a vape imo, more economical and you don't have to buy expensive dangerous baccy, also you don't need papers and a lighter. Just remember to keep her charged though, always pains me to find I forget charge it from night before. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, growinggold said:

Great work @FarmToTable recently converted here to, I won't be going back. Love my mighty use it as my daily driver,still trying to find the quick hiter though. Seriously considering the vapcap. You will soon make your money back with a vape imo, more economical and you don't have to buy expensive dangerous baccy, also you don't need papers and a lighter. Just remember to keep her charged though, always pains me to find I forget charge it from night before. 

7 hours ago, growinggold said:

Also big up turning 30, then 20s fly by

Cheers. They certainly did but hopefully many more to come!

The Plenty is a plug in jobby so no worry about the battery. I did wonder whether the mighty would have been more practical but the temptation to use it during work might have been too much! Already had visions of myself with the Plenty in my work van with an extension cord and me emerging with my cheesy grin - better not.

The big one now is convincing my partner to quit smoking too or else strengthen my resolve...

Did switching to vaping change the amount of bud you consumed or not? I'll have to give the Mighty a look, would come in handy when we visit relatives haha.

• Like 1

Yeah it definitely reduced, I use the little s an b capsules that go in the mighty, not sure if they fit the plenty I've never used one didn't like the idea of being tied down with a cable tbh and the mighty last a decent amount of time tbh. 

• Like 1

Hi again FarmToTable,

On 24/05/2020 at 1:07 PM, FarmToTable said:

My number one concern is breaking the cycle and association with MJ and tobacco/nicotine.

This item labelled as "Tokeu" (shown below) used to be my smoker "driver" until the summer of 2007:

large.5aaacbfe91852_CombustionvsVaporization(2017-Feb-28)400x300.PNG

Inside there was a hand-rolled "joint" filled with blond tobacco filaments which helped to maintain my fire alive while buning tiny bits of hashish.  It's difficult for me to imagine myself being tempted to adopt it after being offered to try vaporism as an alternative!  Not to mention such smoker habit once left holes in my clothing anyway, because i wasn't always in full control of the fire...

On 25/05/2020 at 11:41 AM, FarmToTable said:

Did switching to vaping change the amount of bud you consumed or not?

An excellent question to ask.

Personally i've roughly evaluated 1 inhalation to cost around 20 ~ 30 mg in shredded dry herb and nearly a hundred Joules to deliver.  Such performance results from a fine-tuned consumption method and ritual which doesn't invite to finish a bowl as mine will cool-off quickly:  in Pulse Heating an intense heat wave leaves a bowl almost as fast as it came in, hence reducing significantly any "baking" effect as typically expected with ovenizers between 2 inhalations IMO.  A potential side-effect of baking being "Activation" i suppose it's a matter of trade-offs, situations and preferences.

In comparison my super-Solo setup (using a 50 Watts HerbalAire as base for long minutes...) requires ~3 times as much herb just to get satisfying aroma/taste hints.  In other words i stopped counting once converted to the pipe, 1 bowl holds ~ 125 mg worth 5 ~ 6 puffs each.  At that rate i can light up all i want and have spare for the next day, something i can't say of my smoker habit and not even my newbie vaporist days when i could easily feel tempted to spend more than 2 ~300 mg bowls in 1 evening.

Ritual is important too, one is synonymous of morning sunrays and other ex-smoker pleasures in a rocking chair, with a fresh glass of water at close reach.  The other, well...  It's a rare occurence to say the least.  Thinking of it i'd feel nervously worried (instead of relaxed) holding something which is warm to the touch simply because its battery went hot, then there's the absence of Inlet Water taking its toll, at least i can tell judging from my lungs complaining about my super-Solo session just the next day(s)...

One fact remains besides these individual specificities:  i never feel like i'm getting less inhalations now, quite on the contrary.

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.

Come on guys, if you was starting to vape today, with all your experiences, what one would you buy?

Would like to give up smoking baccy, but the price of vapes is the only thing holding me back.

I used to use a volcano for a while but that was to much messing about.:skin_up:

Salutations ThatMan,

13 hours ago, thatman said:

...what one would you buy?

That's the problem i'd still face if i didn't at least find a suitable "Plan-B" for myself:  it's the void of ready-made commercially-available 3rd-party products meeting my selection criterias which forced me to get radically more involved than whatever i could have suspected initially.  My guess is i don't correspond to mass-market criterias.

...the price of vapes is the only thing holding me back.

Once converted to vaporism it shall become clear such notions of cost can prove quite relative...

I used to use a volcano for a while but that was to much messing about.

An irony shared by some vast category of ovenizers resides in claims of being based on the "convective" mode although it seems obvious to me that their actual "Release" agent is made of 2 heat vectors:  conductive and radiative, e.g. it turns out convection heat only takes charge of "Transport" and perhaps also post-release "Activation", but it still has very little to do with the vaporization process - except for a "baking" effect resulting from thermostatic solutions to be exact...  So, lets keep in mind one main reason why most designs are too expensive is just because their long, slow/steady (thermostatic) operation demands it, while using Pulse Heating the manufacturer would get most cost-effective by taming down overheat issues including the machine's ones and hence simplifying material specifications in a way that reflects economically.

It's not a metal bowl that needs to get hot, not even a vegetal substrate.  The one thing which must be targetted to gain a significant efficiency margin happens to be the trichome gland itself, heating up anything else is highly questionable in portable applications where autonomy ranges high as a design priority...

My present consumption tool may belong to the last type i'll ever need, but if i were fresh again i'd want to investigate the InDose e-Cigar format vaporizer for its advanced dosing properties (based on pre-dosed oil apparently).  My reasoning is that e-Cig/e-Liquid solutions may compensate sufficiently for a lack of Inlet Water, rendering these preferable to Hot Dry Air Ovenization that everyone can't be assumed to stand well, starting with me...  To be honest the proposal of scanning my cannabic path to measure every single cloud's opacity in real-time has captured my attention.

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.
  • Like 1