Lottie

Hi all! 

Please don't hate me, I know there's probably been so many people asking the same question but I have spent DAYS reading through hundreds of threads and still can't make my mind up on soil. 

This is my first solo grow! I have just started to germinate some autos (Lowryder and Alaskan Purple Auto) so needing to sort the soil asap. I was going to go for Biobizz light with grow & bloom feed however I can't find it in the likes of B&Q or Homebase and an order on Amazon won't arrive in time. So I'm ideally grabbing some bags from Homebase... They're going to be outdoor grows (in my garden, SW UK) and I'm going to be transfering seeds straight into their end pots so have got 15L (I've read that autos don't like being transferred and it actually works better for us this way). However, I understand this makes soil choice trickier as a lot are too heavy for seedlings or have too many nutrients. One thread suggested buying John Innes number 1 and mixing it 50/50 with a normal multipurpose so my question is:

1. Would a 50/50 John Innes number 1 and multi purpose work well for this? 

2. What multipurpose would you recommend (must be able to be purchased from Homebase)?

3. Will I need to feed them? I was planning on starting them on bloom & grow about 2 weeks in, should I still do this with these products? 

Any advice on this will be a massive help, I'm pulling my hair out right now! Thanks in advance all.

Edited by Lottie

Any garden centre's near you? If so grab some clover. Check the packaging of whatever you buy, it will tell you how much food is in it. You can put seedling compost in the top of the pot and let it grow into something hotter. There will be an EC rating on the bag for food. Seedling will be no higher than 1.0, others around 1.2 ish. Grab something indoors, outdoor bags are normally wet and can have pests. This would be my main issue with homebase compost. 

Eta - depending on the compost you get you shouldn't need to feed for 2-3 weeks. 

Edited by FatBoy77

If you're in the SW try ProGrow, their courier times are pretty good and they're not expensive. I got 50l of Terra Pro for £17.95 (£22 cheapest on A****n) and a bag of perlite for £6.95. They have shops in Exeter and Plymouth.

Edited by Flamedodger

Some folks wont like this. There are some ebay sellers still operating as normal. I got a bag of H+G bat special £20 inc delivery,arrived 24 hours later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ursus1000 said:

Some folks wont like this. There are some ebay sellers still operating as normal. I got a bag of H+G bat special £20 inc delivery,arrived 24 hours later.

Hi @ursus1000

I am looking for suitable compost for my next three seeds that are due soon. Is this stuff ok for seedlings? I have also been considering Plant Magic Plus as I have their nutes.

Many Thanks in advance

2hot 2trot

@2hot 2trot,it's too hot for seedlings. Your local Tesco should have some Westlands,or Levingtons compost. There will be enough feed in them for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Then when you pot-up,use the bat mix / special.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ursus1000 said:

@2hot 2trot,it's too hot for seedlings. Your local Tesco should have some Westlands,or Levingtons compost. There will be enough feed in them for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Then when you pot-up,use the bat mix / special.

Many thanks for your advice @ursus1000, much appreciated.

Take care

• Like 1