IWS Flood and Drain Root Rot

gtrvxr

Alright everyone,

Had a total nightmare with my last set up.

Running IWS Flood and Drain Pro 16 pot ran directly in clay media.

Room temperatures 25

Res temp 18/21

No light leaks

5 plants look like shit, total shit leaves dying all over the place, the rest look spot on, week 6 flower.

Lifted the pots last night to see what was going on, half white half slime. How the hell have 5 plants ended up with root rot and the rest haven't?!?!?! 

Buds look good which is surprising but obviously getting the full potential has well and truly gone.

Should i just leave it and let it crack on and hopefully get to harvest?

I honestly just feel like throwing these 3 systems in the bin and going back to auto pots.

• Like 1

a mate of mine runs flood and drain, but he uses the big pots, which makes a difference. 

thing is, when I pull his inner pots out the looks always look really really shyte, but the plants don't seem to mind, they keep producing?

how many flood cycles are you having in 24 hrs?

• Like 1

I’m using those 6.5l aqua pots, I know the bigger pots that you mean. Previously I’ve had fantastic results but the cons weigh the good out fat to much. Never wanted to love to rdwc just because of the noise of the air pumps. Spent a fortune on these systems. 

I do 4 floods but I only run them at 10 minutes rather than the 3 floods for 15 iws recommend just seemed to long for no oxegyen etc. 

Honestly mate i have have no idea what to do. Just been in again there and they’re depleting so bad I’ll be sick if they don’t make the last few weeks. 

I would guess the smaller the pot, the more floods you need to supply the plants oxygen requirements and avoid the anaerobic conditions loved by root rotting organisms. What you seem to have is the same problem of an overwatered plant in a normal soil set up: insufficient oxygen. I've never treated root rot, so you need somebody elses chemical treatment suggestion on that but I would add two more flooding phases in a cycle at least  to get the root environment corrected.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Bud im confused, if i have the sane issues as a plant overwatered in soil, would adding more flooding phases not overwater them? I'm confused?

No mate. Sorry to confuse you. Think of waterlogged soil with poor drainage. The roots are drowned with no oxygen, so anaerobic microbes (they dislike aerated conditions) thrive. Now, think of your set up with small pots and insufficient irrigation, the roots are taking oxygen out faster than it's being replenished, so the roots are effectively drowning in the water because their isn't enough oxygen in it. Can you see the similarity now? Your main problem is  the oxygen from each flooding is not lasting through to the next flood, so root rot microbes benefit. To put it another way: the periods between flooding are too long. If you had bigger pots you should get away with less flooding periods... but that's for the future. I think hydrogen peroxide is used for treating root rot. Google it. Hope you get sorted.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

Nice one matey I'm with you now thanks for the description, how many floods do you think I should increase the floods to 6?. I used a hydrogen peroxide the last few floods, hopefully it helps to clean it up!

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/05/2020 at 0:12 AM, gtrvxr said:

Nice one matey I'm with you now thanks for the description, how many floods do you think I should increase the floods to 6?. I used a hydrogen peroxide the last few floods, hopefully it helps to clean it up!

What nutes are you using ?

If youre using straight up H2o2, get rid of it, 24 hours and its time to add more.

Youll end up going through a lot of it and loosing for future reference.

Grab yourself some Silver Bullet Roots, dont use ANYTHING with biostims in ( Humic, Fulvic, Kelp, NO FUCKING ENZYMES ask me how i know, no microbes, no sugars ) Ionic 1 part veg & bloom, Shogun Hydro nutes, anything that is clear, dont use any brown liquids as they most likley have Humic / Fulvic / Kelp / Enzymes and possibly carbs in and will leave a mess.

I used to use a chiller to keep my res at 18 degrees, i dont bother no more, just Silver bullet and running between 22 - 24 degrees and clean nutes. Dont listen to the hydro shops or the labels on bottles that say suitable for all growing in all media, ask me how i know lol.

4 floods a day when your roots are established for 10-12 mins, water pump in the res stiring ( you dont need air stones in IWS F&D, when you start a flood cycle, the flooming of the brain will aerate your water plenty and the pump in the res stirring will grab enough oxygen from the surface tension being broken ).

Holla at ya boy when you get it sorted :skin_up:

::EDIT::

Fuck those aqua pots off too, get the punched pots, they act like a syringe when draining and draw in way more oxygen to the root zone when using Hydroton, and they are bigger.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

If youre using straight up H2o2, get rid of it, 24 hours and its time to add more.

Grab yourself some Silver Bullet Roots, dont use ANYTHING with biostims in ( Humic, Fulvic, Kelp, NO FUCKING ENZYMES ask me how i know, no microbes, no sugars ) Ionic 1 part veg & bloom, Shogun Hydro nutes, anything that is clear, dont use any brown liquids as they most likley have Humic / Fulvic / Kelp / Enzymes and possibly carbs in and will leave a mess.

I used to use a chiller to keep my res at 18 degrees, i dont bother no more, just Silver bullet and running between 22 - 24 degrees and clean nutes. Dont listen to the hydro shops or the labels on bottles that say suitable for all growing in all media, ask me how i know lol.

4 floods a day when your roots are established for 10-12 mins, water pump in the res stiring ( you dont need air stones in IWS F&D, when you start a flood cycle, the flooming of the brain will aerate your water plenty and the pump in the res stirring will grab enough oxygen from the surface tension being broken ).

Fuck those aqua pots off too, get the punched pots, they act like a syringe when draining and draw in way more oxygen to the root zone when using Hydroton, and they are bigger.

What I gather from your post is that it didn't work for you. Other people, including myself, get along with that stuff just fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

What I gather from your post is that it didn't work for you. Other people, including myself, get along with that stuff just fine.

Maybe for you, but for this guy, he needs to go back to ruling stuff out and go from there. And if he is putting any of that stuff in his rez it aint helping.

I decided going back to a sterile res worked better and was prone to less mishaps, and its been care free since, just giving him some advice as hes probably not having much luck, and wasnt much info given.

I like, no, LOVE not having to scrub everything down due to bio-residue and staining, its great :smokin:

On 04/06/2020 at 1:22 PM, Mike Hunt said:

@Mike Hunt Thanks for the tips bud

Im using a right variation at the minute 

Emerald Harvest A/B

Mills Start R (which is like you say brown thick liquid)

Mills Vitalize

Terpinator

Rocksresinator

Emerald Harvest King Kola

Then week 6 onwards 

House and Garden Shooting powder with Terpinator and A/B

This Emeralad Harvest stuff says suitable for all growing media.....come on then how do you know!!!!

Awh bollocks man ive got all my cuts already in the aqua pots all rooted in, I seen those punch pots the 10l ones but my guy in hydro shop said they're shit for just pebbles, but i liked the idea how no roots escape from the side of the pots, especially when your left with some water still in the pots. 

Yeah im sick of cleaning the residue of my res as well man!!!!

Any other advice you've got mate would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

@Mike Hunt mate..... ive just seen a picture you up loaded is that platinum kush breath remix by inhouse genetics? Im literally running the same strain and it looks nothing like that man!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

@gtrvxr

Hahaha mate that emerald harvest shit really gunked my gear up !!!!! Ironic ! Never again ! I used the Bloom A & B, one of the parts looks like someone has blended up some KIWI fruit and stuck it in a bottle and also used that King Kola, think that was some funky green smoothie type shit aswell !

Take it youve been to Growell eh :chains:lol

Terpinator i used to use, its ok, never had any grief with it, but it does stain and leave some bio film on everything.

Rock REsinator is similar to something else I used to use, Green Planet Massive, that wasnt " Bad " either, just left residue and a film on everything. ( substituted for Sumo Active Boost from Shogun )

Shooting Powder is good shit aswell, I havnt used it on my current run but i stocked up on it yesterday.

Good base nutes ive used for hydro so far with zero issues are Ionic 1 part Grow and Bloom, and the Shogun Hydro stuff is pretty good aswell.

That Mills stuff ive had a good look at, seems to have a fair bit of bio stuff in.

Dont worry about the pots, but if you get chance, get the punched pots at a later date. The Aqua pots are ok if you fancy running airs stones in all your pots during flood cycles., but then them roots will also give your pipes a hiding lol, so just keep your pots turning till they fill the outer pots.

Yea its the IHG PKB Remix. Got them up drying now. CAnt wait mate :bong:

Edited by Mike Hunt

19 hours ago, gtrvxr said:

@Mike Hunt Thanks for the tips bud

Im using a right variation at the minute 

Emerald Harvest A/B

Mills Start R (which is like you say brown thick liquid)

Mills Vitalize

Terpinator

Rocksresinator

Emerald Harvest King Kola

Then week 6 onwards 

House and Garden Shooting powder with Terpinator and A/B

This Emeralad Harvest stuff says suitable for all growing media.....come on then how do you know!!!!

Awh bollocks man ive got all my cuts already in the aqua pots all rooted in, I seen those punch pots the 10l ones but my guy in hydro shop said they're shit for just pebbles, but i liked the idea how no roots escape from the side of the pots, especially when your left with some water still in the pots. 

Yeah im sick of cleaning the residue of my res as well man!!!!

Any other advice you've got mate would be greatly appreciated. 

19 hours ago, gtrvxr said:

@Mike Hunt mate..... ive just seen a picture you up loaded is that platinum kush breath remix by inhouse genetics? Im literally running the same strain and it looks nothing like that man!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt said:

@gtrvxr

Hahaha mate that emerald harvest shit really gunked my gear up !!!!! Ironic ! Never again ! I used the Bloom A & B, one of the parts looks like someone has blended up some KIWI fruit and stuck it in a bottle and also used that King Kola, think that was some funky green smoothie type shit aswell !

Take it youve been to Growell eh :chains:lol

Terpinator i used to use, its ok, never had any grief with it, but it does stain and leave some bio film on everything.

Rock REsinator is similar to something else I used to use, Green Planet Massive, that wasnt " Bad " either, just left residue and a film on everything. ( substituted for Sumo Active Boost from Shogun )

Shooting Powder is good shit aswell, I havnt used it on my current run but i stocked up on it yesterday.

Good base nutes ive used for hydro so far with zero issues are Ionic 1 part Grow and Bloom, and the Shogun Hydro stuff is pretty good aswell.

That Mills stuff ive had a good look at, seems to have a fair bit of bio stuff in.

Dont worry about the pots, but if you get chance, get the punched pots at a later date. The Aqua pots are ok if you fancy running airs stones in all your pots during flood cycles., but then them roots will also give your pipes a hiding lol, so just keep your pots turning till they fill the outer pots.

Yea its the IHG PKB Remix. Got them up drying now. CAnt wait mate :bong:

@Mike Hunt

haha yeah mate that King Kola is the green smoothie shit alright! Ive still got about 10 litres left of that feed as well man SICK!

haha nah mate never been to Growell, but ive been on the phone to One Stop a few times and this was everything he recommended for hydro.

Just ordered myself some of that Silver Bullet Roots, got the shooting powder picked up tomorrow to man!

Alright so let me pick your brain abit mate...

What products are you actually using, id rather just switch all my shit out for the same as you after seeing the PKB Remix in the same system!

What training are you doing to them? How long are you in veg? What lights are you running? What are your EC and Ph levels. Do you run this silver bullet right the way through the grow?

Okay so how i normally do it.....

Cuts root them into the system 2 weeks veg run ec around 1.2/1.5 ph 5.5 let it rise itself to 6.1 then knock it back down.

Flip

1 them keep them on veg nutrients first week ec 1.8

2 flower nutrients with start r mills ec 1.9 

3 get rid of the start R mills, start to ad terpinator, resinator, king kola ec 2.0

4 same again ec 2.1

5 same again ec 2.2

6 shooting powder and terpinator stop the rest of it ec 2.0

7 same again ec 2.0

8 same again ec 1.5

9 Flush with just plain water

im running 9 pots (2 cuts in each pot) under 1000w gavita de, temps run 26, 20 night, humidity 40, 50 night. plenty fresh air getting pumped in. 

I got three weeks left on this PKB Remix!!!!