After a fan

Dobba1988

Good morning everyone,

Ive started greenhouse growing this year and was just wondering what the other greenhouse growers use to bring temps down and increase airflow. I dont have an electrical outlet for the greenhouse so it would have to be battery operated and preferably not take up a lot of room as ive just started a charlottes angel in an auto pot system in there yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, Bartyfartblast said:

open doors and windows ? just a thought ....

Im still working 50-60 hour weeks at work so leaving doors and windows open in the British weather worries me a little...

Is the water temps of the autopot system under control esp on a hot day? 

I've not seen any industrial battery operated fans so I'd be running leccy to the greenhouse - but what of the smells later on? 

48 minutes ago, Dobba1988 said:

Im still working 50-60 hour weeks at work so leaving doors and windows open in the British weather worries me a little...

That should not be a problem for them if left open. Close at night for protection until mid May then leave open ... 

• Like 1

I've got a window that opens/closes automatically when the temperature changes. Don't know how it works, some form of magic happens in the hydraulic arm.

I've also just ordered a solar powered fan to go near the window to increase airflow. Got it off ebay but didn't realise it's coming from Hong Kong and not gonna be here for a month. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tangerines said:

I've got a window that opens/closes automatically when the temperature changes. Don't know how it works, some form of magic happens in the hydraulic arm.

I've also just ordered a solar powered fan to go near the window to increase airflow. Got it off ebay but didn't realise it's coming from Hong Kong and not gonna be here for a month. 

The cylinder contains a mineral wax which expands as it heats, pushing a piston inside and via a linkage overcomes the opposing weight of the roof vent +/- a spring designed to help pull it shut.  As it cools the wax contracts and the weight of the vent (and the opposing springs - especially important for vertical louvres which do not exert much gravity-assisted force) cause the opening to close. You can adjust the temperature range by screwing the ram assembly further in or out of the fitting.  Worth oiling the moving parts each year.  Usual problem is too little ventilation rather than too much; vents on two sides of the roof or vents on one side and louvres lower down on the other can help as can leaving the door open but you may have problems with cats sleeping in there (e.g. on small plants), enjoying the nice warm ambience of the greenhouse. 

• Like 2

Still getting quite cold at night - my greenhouse heater, set to trigger at 6 degrees centigrade was on at 06:30 when I went out there this morning.  Have started putting my little autos under inverted plant pots with lampholders and conventional ~6W LED desk lamp bulbs in them at night.  Keeps the plants a little warmer and lit overnight, with lots of woodlice grubbing about on the soil for company - and occasional greenfly who I hunt for with an 8x loupe and toothpick before and after work.  First lot, popped a month ago suffered from nute burn as I used the compost straight from the bag - which has been fine for starting some vegetables but clearly too hot for the canna.  They got brown cotyledons then first leaves went yellow/brown and despite several flushes of water are grossly stunted.  Current lot were popped 3 weeks ago in kitchen roll then started in fibre pots in 50:50 compost / topsoil and seem happy, now planted in the soil and, from last night, with light at night.  Will be interesting to see how they do under that regimen.  If the night lighting works then next year I will make some neater nightlights by fitting some large (~45cm diameter, 45cm high) grey pots with flush ceiling LED down lights in their bases and invert them over the plants at night until the plants get too big to be encompassed by the pots.  Not sure as to what wattage / lumens to use, but that can wait.

• Like 1

Like the night light idea too. It should be good but it’s a rabbit hole of LED, hps light science that put me off. Be good to do a test on two same seed autos.