rso yeilds???

THSTE

Hi all, so my uncle just made some rso with one oz of a supposed 20% thc strain, now I'm new to this so maybe I misunderstand. So, of 1g dry of said strain should contain 0.2g of thc ( I think????) so 1 oz = 5.6g of thc, he yielded roughly 3 ml which I'm lead to believe would be about 3 gram, so if it was 20% should he have yielded 5.6ml? or possibly more given that the alcohol extracts more than just thc, like I say I may have this totally wrong, just trying to learn

I'm no expert at all never even made the stuff haha but I can't imagine it's 20% of the weight? And that will be with it grown in perfect conditions 

Without getting it testing yer literally guessing at levels with rso .

i make hash rosin over rso because , well its better for you and completely solventless and i just assume 1g=1000mg of oil so i can roughly hack dosing  but wouldnt like to guess the actual thc content of the oil without a test.

do you know what solvent yer uncle used also? i wouldnt ever smoke or eat anything with iso in it , grain spirit like everclear is the way to go .

:yinyang:

yea, I'm not really bothered what the thc content turned out to be as in mg per ml, like I say your getting other stuff aswell so impossible to work out, just wondering if the stated thc% is correct, should the theoretical yield be larger, And, yes I think he does use iso, I read all the arguments on it and I'm not sure about it either, say he is boiling all of the alcohol out, then what substance is the non alcohol residue? never been able to find that one out

Depends on the quality of bud used tbh. My outdoor usually returns 2-3 grams of rso per oz on the first wash.

29 minutes ago, KuJa said:

Depends on the quality of bud used tbh. My outdoor usually returns 2-3 grams of rso per oz on the first wash.

yea mate, that's what I'm getting at, so if it was actually 20% thc then should the yield have been bigger, like if everygram used had 20% thc, should an ounce yield theoretically 20% of said ounce? weight wise

Edited by THSTE

1 hour ago, THSTE said:

yea mate, that's what I'm getting at, so if it was actually 20% thc then should the yield have been bigger, like if everygram used had 20% thc, should an ounce yield theoretically 20% of said ounce? weight wise

i may be wrong here, i have never made oil etc....

i think you are confusing things (or i am lol)

but the 20% is strength and not quantity.

1oz of bud will give you roughly 3g, going by above, whatever your starting strength is ie. 15%, 20% 25% thc.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Subutai said:

i may be wrong here, i have never made oil etc....

i think you are confusing things (or i am lol)

but the 20% is strength and not quantity.

1oz of bud will give you roughly 3g, going by above, whatever your starting strength is ie. 15%, 20% 25% thc.......

I agree, I may be wrong (or you maybe lol)

but I thought thc is thc is thc is thc, I mean, you get 90% + concentrates but ive never heard of a 90%+ strain, I thought stronger strains have more of it therefor more dose. I mean did you ever see a percentage on a paracetemol, Valium or any other pharmecutical, I thought strength is inherent and yoy just take more if you want stronger??????   can someone please clear this up, lol, (but also not forget the original question)

Edited by THSTE

8 hours ago, THSTE said:

I agree, I may be wrong (or you maybe lol)

but I thought thc is thc is thc is thc, I mean, you get 90% + concentrates but ive never heard of a 90%+ strain, I thought stronger strains have more of it therefor more dose. I mean did you ever see a percentage on a paracetemol, Valium or any other pharmecutical, I thought strength is inherent and yoy just take more if you want stronger??????   can someone please clear this up, lol, (but also not forget the original question)

I’ve always understood it as % of dry weight, I mean bone dry, zero percent moisture type dry. 

So in your example, the amount of THC extracted is only comparable to the starting weight If the starting weight of the bud is devoid of moisture..... which in your Uncle’s case it won’t be. Also RSO is never just pure cannabinoids as plenty of other compounds come along for the ride like plant matter, lipids etc. So RSO can vary greatly in cannabinoid percentage depending on how well refined it is.

You Uncle’s RSO return will depend on the quality of bud, the strain, the starting moisture content and the chosen method of extraction I.e. how pure is the extraction?

If your Uncle had 28g of bone dry 20% THC strain weed grown in optimal conditions, and then made RSO using the Rick Simpson method I reckon you’d extract maybe 10g of RSO at say 50% strength THC which when you work out the maths fits in well with your original theory. Use a QWET or QWISO method at minus 30C with winterisation etc then you might extract 7 g but at say 80% THC but the maths still stack up.

In your Uncle’s example he extracted 3g. Let’s say this is at 50% cannabinoid strength so roughly 50% THC therefore 1.5g THC. If the starting weight of your Uncle’s oz bud was a true dry weight of 7.5g (not wet weight of 28g) then this means the % THC would be 20% and that would back up the breeders claims

All of the above is just my understanding. I’ve made quite a bit of oil etc in my time but I am by no means an expert, not at all.

We typically yield between 18 and 25% concentrate by weight, using material that has hung for about a week, or until the small stems snap.  The lowest was 5.7% from a land race strain.

There are a few strains that yield above 25%, but typically higher than 25% suggests a high load of non targeted constituents.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone I am managed to get a 1.1 from 7 g which means 4.4. And the container I used for my test still has some stuck inside it so I’m looking at 1.3 minimum per seven g = 5.2 per 28g ..5 hour purge hot water until all the bubbles completely stopped. A few drops of water aggravate the mixture which encouraged The purging process. The water dropped in there by accident but it worked out as a positive.28 g next