Light leaks from air line

Guest mediboab

Guest mediboab

Drilling a hole into the side of a square bucket to pass airline through. How can I stop light leaking through?

Thanks 

Use an opaque (black) airline. 

If the hole you've drilled is too big, use a black grommet. 

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 3

Guest mediboab
1 hour ago, KayDog said:

Use an opaque (black) airline. 

If the hole you've drilled is too big, use a black grommet. 

Thank you! Really helpful. 

Tbf I was seriously pissed off when clear air line was supplied with my dwc kit. That as well as a seriously underpowered air pump. Should a gone the DIY way. 

• Like 3

Guest mediboab
8 minutes ago, KayDog said:

Tbf I was seriously pissed off when clear air line was supplied with my dwc kit. That as well as a seriously underpowered air pump. Should a gone the DIY way. 

Could you put black gaffa tape around the tubing? The online grow shop I use don’t stock black 4mm tubing. 

And yes I ditched the Oxypot plan to go completely DIY. I can’t normally do DIY but DWC with individual pots is so simple. 

Just used black office 60 litre storage crates, extra space means stable temperatures & stable PH. And I can leave the setup unattended for a week. 

Edited by mediboab

Your guess is as good as mine for how you cover the airline. By that I mean factoring in personal likes and dislikes for bodge it and run approaches to fixes. At a pinch any solution may be better than no solution. Just now I can't think of another quick fix but I'll post up again if something pops up. 

• Like 2

Guest mediboab
37 minutes ago, KayDog said:

Your guess is as good as mine for how you cover the airline. By that I mean factoring in personal likes and dislikes for bodge it and run approaches to fixes. At a pinch any solution may be better than no solution. Just now I can't think of another quick fix but I'll post up again if something pops up. 

Actually using flexible black Conduit is one solution. Just run the clear tubing through it. 

Edited by mediboab
  • Like 1

Check amazon for the black 4mm or 6mm black tubing which ever size is relevant and if you need a lot buy a roll it will work out cheaper in the long run and at the end of every grow just change them out if need be. Just keep all lines equal length.

Toke...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tokenroll said:

Just keep all lines equal length.

Toke...

That's only if a number of lines are coming from a manifold. If it's a single line from a single pump - equal lengths don't matter. 

Guest mediboab
1 minute ago, KayDog said:

That's only if a number of lines are coming from a manifold. If it's a single line from a single pump - equal lengths don't matter. 

Thanks, didn’t realise they needed to be equal length. Running four lines of a manifold. 

In which try and give the lines the same amount of work to do. ie don't have the nearest tub/longest line wrapped in coils on the floor while the farthest tub has a relatively smooth and straight path more or less above the tub. 

• 2 years later...
On 01/05/2020 at 11:42 AM, KayDog said:

Was it the oxypot by any chance?

On 01/05/2020 at 0:46 PM, KayDog said:

In which try and give the lines the same amount of work to do. ie don't have the nearest tub/longest line wrapped in coils on the floor while the farthest tub has a relatively smooth and straight path more or less above the tub. 

I running lines that aren't the same length what else can you do apart from coil them up on floor or on top of pot cheers mate

1 hour ago, Baron von greenback said:

I running lines that aren't the same length what else can you do apart from coil them up on floor or on top of pot cheers mate

Run it around the next plant along and back to the pot it feeds so you have straighter lines therefore reducing resistance, it's the same basic principle as yer extraction ducting, the straighter you can get it without sharp bends the more efficient it'll be :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 1

On 01/05/2020 at 0:36 PM, tokenroll said:

Check amazon for the black 4mm or 6mm black tubing which ever size is relevant and if you need a lot buy a roll it will work out cheaper in the long run and at the end of every grow just change them out if need be. Just keep all lines equal length.

Toke...

I got my last roll of.... 6mm, no 4mm, ah fcuk it cant remember, black tubing for irrigation from bee and queue. its the branded one, Verve I think its called. good stuff, better quality than t'river

mystic