Transformer

Space_Cake

Hi guys, 

Just a quick one, been looking at transformers for a fan controller. Don't need huge adjustability maybe 2 or 3 speeds. 

What transformer is suitable for this in terms of output voltage choices? I'm only seeing outputs of say 12v, 24, 48 and 110v. How would you achieve say 150v or any other number between 110v and 240v? 

Thanks

Ideally a variac, I believe. It's like a transformer but fully variable, from 0 to 240-ish volts.

Yeah I've been looking at older threads on here and people mention variac for £50 and some even lower, looking today cheapest is around & £70! 

I know there must be a transformer suitable, all the str 5 speed controllers are using a transformer just not sure which one haha. 

Currently I'm running one which is supposed to output 12v, 24v, 48v, 110v and 240v, but I've found that if I say connect the 110v and 240v lines up I can get around 130v. Similarly if I check the difference between the 240v secondary and say the 48v secondary I'll get around 190v output. Essentially I guess using the transformer backwards? 

Bump, 

In short, has anyone built a DIY controller based on a transformer instead of a variac? If so what transformer did you guys use? 

Wish I could get variacs for the 30-50 quid range as I'm seeing in some older posts, today I'm finding them for 70+ :thumbdown: