First time grower

nickc300

Hi guys. 

So I'm at the start of my first grow. I have a small tent 80x80x160cm and just the one plant in there right now. Well seed to be precise. I'm using a cfl set up and pretty much got that covered. 

So I have a few questions if you guys could help out that would be great. 

I germinated my white widow seeds around a week ago. Very slow germination process. Left in water for 24 hours then on a damp paper tissue for 3 days. A very small root popped through around 2mm in size. I placed the seed root down in my prepared coco coir. 42 hours later no sprout? Should I wait it out a little longer or start again. I'm still getting to grips with the whole ph and ec thing. Research research research but j fear I may have messed up in the early stages? 

With my coco all I did was mix with water then straight into the pot. I never checked ph or added any nutes / calmag? I've read conflicting info on how this should be done. 

What do you think lads? 

Edited by nickc300

Wait a little longer....you may have oversaturated the young un. 
Has the coco any additions? Perlite etc
You can pre buff the coco with cal mag but find out your water hardness b4 u go gung ho. 
your environment is the key

may just be a bad seed bro 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zen-ken said:

Wait a little longer....you may have oversaturated the young un. 
Has the coco any additions? Perlite etc
You can pre buff the coco with cal mag but find out your water hardness b4 u go gung ho. 
your environment is the key

may just be a bad seed bro 

Thanks for your reply mate. Ok I'll hang on a couple days. No I don't have perlite but I ordered some this morning. Is it essential? How do I find out my water hardness? Do you mean ph or ec? I've got both meters on order. Should be here in a few days. 

Hopefully I've not screwed up to much but I defo don't want to waste the potential of the plant 

Perlite is not essential but adds drainage as does vermiculite. 
i like a nice 70/30 to 50/50 type mix depending on my watering arrangements.

look on the internet for a rough idea of water hardness in ur area.

EC is a measure of solution strength (basic)

PH is a measure of acid/alkaline (basic)  

both will be important to measure.

you have chosen a hydro solution to ur growing and as such the plant is going to rely on u for everything 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 9:13 AM, zen-ken said:

Perlite is not essential but adds drainage as does vermiculite. 
i like a nice 70/30 to 50/50 type mix depending on my watering arrangements.

look on the internet for a rough idea of water hardness in ur area.

EC is a measure of solution strength (basic)

PH is a measure of acid/alkaline (basic)  

both will be important to measure.

you have chosen a hydro solution to ur growing and as such the plant is going to rely on u for everything 

Thanks mate for the insight. Much appreciated. Coco was recommended to me as I was told it's easier to gets to grips with as a newbie. But it does seems like there is much more to do in terms of maintenance.

Day 4 and still no sprout from the coco. I think it's safe to say I should go back to the drawing board and start again. I'll wait for my ph and ec meter to turn up and crack on again from the beginning. 

• Like 1

Can take a little while... Personally I'd keep the light on 24/7 keep an eye on the temps and apply small bits of water every day... Small bits!! as you want the environment to be moist for the seed to germinate properly.

Don't worry you should see it poke up soon ;)

Also remember that Coco coir has no nutrients as far as I remember so you might want to use some sort of seedling formula just to help out for the first 2 weeks... First two weeks from when the seedling pops through is the sapling stage! Veg is after those two weeks. 

Well that's what I believe anyway lol

Good luck buddy!! 

Edited by Whambud
  • Like 2

Whilst ur on lockdown may I suggest some light reading 

search cocoforcannabis 

Set up a diary on here and the boys will help u 

Oversaturating the coco when transplanting seed can slow things down in my experience, also burying the seed to deep can, I like to scratch st the surface about 15 20mm deep, pop my seed in and brush and tap the coco back down lightly. 

Light on 24hour in a propagator or somewhere with high rh! 

As whambud said about a light dose of a young plant nute, I use plant start and a root stim at 1/4 recomended strength in 18 degree water ph'd to 5.9 and give a very light feed every couple of days for the 1st week .

Theres 100s of ways of doing germination and growing, its finding what works for you and maybe trying little tips people give over the years lol

Oh and I always pop a seed or 2 more than I need incase we have a none germ 

All the best. 

• Like 1