First time growing outside - HELP WITH FLOWERING

SocietyOfTerps

So I have started to grow outside in my greenhouse everything is going fine plants healthy I just have one concern; they are regs,

do they have to be auto flowering plants to be grown in the uk is my main question and if not how will I get my plants to flower thanks 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SocietyOfTerps said:

So I have started to grow outside in my greenhouse everything is going fine plants healthy I just have one concern; they are regs,

do they have to be auto flowering plants to be grown in the uk is my main question and if not how will I get my plants to flower thanks 

Hi

Hope you are safe, well and bug free.

I’m no expert by any stretch of anyone’s imagination :thumbdown:

Pretty sure some of the more experienced members will chip in soon with some useful info.

For the last three years I’ve grown photos outside.

I chose strains that finished early to avoid and British Autumn, damp and bud rot.

All flowered with no issues :toldya:

In a greenhouse you could do brilliantly.  

I have greenhouse envy :woot:

• Like 2

No you don't need autos to get them to flower but it does seem tricky picking photos that don't rot but you can get quite a few to flower you could even light dep your plants at a certain point or let them go them selves just look outfor.males

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ccs141 said:

No you don't need autos to get them to flower but it does seem tricky picking photos that don't rot but you can get quite a few to flower you could even light dep your plants at a certain point or let them go them selves just look outfor.males

Thank you very much should I just leave them as they are keep growing them as I am and let nature take the course then when the light becomes shorter they will flower out themselves I don’t need do anything then? & what’s your average yield outside dude? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PabloAcuario said:

Hi

Hope you are safe, well and bug free.

I’m no expert by any stretch of anyone’s imagination :thumbdown:

Pretty sure some of the more experienced members will chip in soon with some useful info.

For the last three years I’ve grown photos outside.

I chose strains that finished early to avoid and British Autumn, damp and bud rot.

All flowered with no issues :toldya:

In a greenhouse you could do brilliantly.  

I have greenhouse envy :woot:

Thank you very much should I just leave them as they are keep growing them as I am and let nature take the course then when the light becomes shorter they will flower out themselves I don’t need do anything then? & what’s your average yield outside dude? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SocietyOfTerps said:

L.I.T.F.A

while its far from essential to have autos to get a crop outdoors in the uk, there are many strains that simply wont finish in time to escape the cold and damp weather and thus are unsuitable for outdoor growing, may i ask what strain you are growing? are they in pots or in the ground itself ? 

Greenhouses are great for keeping the plants warm and sheltered from the rain, however as the season progresses and humidity levels rise they can become damp and the lack of air flow can encourage the onset of budrot/ mildew etc. I would advise at least removing a few panes of glass from the sides to get a bit more airflow, you can buy a cheap humidity meter to keep an eye on your levels, if they start to get high then either remove more panes, or start to introduce active measures (fans/heaters/dehumidifiers).

• Like 2

Echo the comments above about strain selection and choosing the right ones for growing outside is critical. And the comments about getting them to finish before the cold and damp.

I started at “Attempting” to grow six years ago. The first three years were just research, trial and error and making mistakes :wallbash:

I’d be tempted to just let them grow and see what happens.

I believe in the big roots, big plants and big fruits philosophy.

Yield, yield… I never weigh it. I’m guessing I should start. It’s just never been a priority really.

From four plants and two strains last year I’ve got 15 full Kilner 2L jars left over.

I given loads away. I just didn’t have the room or capacity.

The greenhouse does afford you some control over the environment

• Like 4

23 hours ago, PabloAcuario said:

Echo the comments above about strain selection and choosing the right ones for growing outside is critical. And the comments about getting them to finish before the cold and damp.

I started at “Attempting” to grow six years ago. The first three years were just research, trial and error and making mistakes :wallbash:

I’d be tempted to just let them grow and see what happens.

I believe in the big roots, big plants and big fruits philosophy.

Yield, yield… I never weigh it. I’m guessing I should start. It’s just never been a priority really.

From four plants and two strains last year I’ve got 15 full Kilner 2L jars left over.

I given loads away. I just didn’t have the room or capacity.

The greenhouse does afford you some control over the environment

sounds like you been doing great! what strains do you run? & how do you get them finish before the cold dude? love to hear some tips or stories

• Like 1

What strain are you growing ? If it turns out its not great for outdoors you have the option of light deprivation, if you can move them somewhere dark or cover them/ the greenhouse in something to black it out, the you can switch them to 12 12 yourself, if done around the end of June to mid July it should give near any strain the time it needs to finish. If you do this its important to ensure total darkness, any light leeks can cause stress to the plant and can make them hermi. 

If your interested in strains check out the outdoor strains uk thread for more info. Real gorilla seed company seem to be rocking most of the best strains at the moment, you could start a pack of their autos now and still have a decent crop from them. There's a few other companies/websites geared towards outdoor northern climate genetics so have a good look, if you find something you are interested in you can always stick a thread up on here to ask about it, start researching now and by next year you'll have a good idea what your doing. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

On 20/04/2020 at 10:51 PM, SocietyOfTerps said:

Hi,  as stated they will pretty much do their own thing and all you will need to do is sex them :) 

I am only able to grow outdoors and have only ever grown outdoors,  i tend to stay well clear of full sativa leaning strains due to long flowering period.   

Get some autos on the go, that way you will def get a crop and will be done long before the regs, you will get some experience. 

Main thing is .... patience :)    harvest time drags lol     watching them mature, colour change and get mahooooosive is the best bit for me.   

Check some of my pics out.     I swear by Sweet Seeds and not had a bad run yet, autos and fems.    

All the best and get some pics up.    I been doing outdoors for years but still a complete novice but theres some real pros on here.   

• Like 1

Hey man

Only my second time growing outdoors but what I learnt last year is let the chips fall where they may when it comes to letting the plant grow/flower (lots of trial and error - keep an eye on them and see what works best for you) and put most your worry into keeping them dry.

I lost loads previous due to shit weather causing mould. Do your best to keep the rain off them when you can and don’t get too carried away with watering and you’ll definitely get some results :) 

also there’s loads of great posts on here re which strains do well outdoors. It’s what encouraged me to make all my seed purchases from Real Gorilla Seeds this year (got a few freebies from elsewhere too!)  they seem proper durable for outdoor growing. 

Good luck with the grow bud!

• Like 2

As everyone has stated before.....gotta keep them DRY. 

I use a small plastic greenhouse and have had much success, but when they are in flower I keep the door rolled up all day. 

Have you got a shed you could move them to at night for their 12 hours darkness? I use my shed to start them flowering early. This way they are flowering during summer and finished by late August/early September avoiding the humidity and cold which will no doubt lead to mould.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 0:00 PM, KillaChronic said:

...I use my shed to start them flowering early. This way they are flowering during summer and finished by late August/early September avoiding the humidity and cold which will no doubt lead to mould.

Hi,

I am looking to try this for my White Widow outdoor this year, following a disastrous last year. Wondering something. I get that putting her into 12/22 in my shed from (say) end June will force flowering. Do I need to keep doing that every day throughout flowering, or is there a date after which she is tricked and it will be safe to leave her outside to complete flowering? London Latitude, smallish garden and a little orried that shed visits will be observable.

• Like 1