Potting Mix

MindSoup

Hey guys 

Been a few years since I've grown due to travelling, so much so i had to start a new account as my password has escaped me, I'm living with my parents at the moment so a big crop is out of the question, however my mum has been kind enough to let me put one plant in her veg patch so i can at least watch something grow this summer. I've chosen Auto Bubblelicious from Nirvana, not the first choice for outdoor growers, I mainly chose it because of its subtle smell anfd higher CBD Content, i have seen reports of it failing to auto in some cases but that seems to be from earlier seeds. The fact i can take extra care of it/ bring it inside, or the greenhouse when the weather turns makes me hope i can keep it happy (please warn me if this a really bad idea or if there is a better low smell compact strain out there). not really expecting anything but if i get a few spliffs out of it happy days. 

Anyway the reason for this post, is there a potting mix you guys would recommend? ideally something available online in smallish quantities and a one bag solution ( don't mind mixing perlite etc if nothing is out there). organic is a winner for me as I'm a big fan of mycorhhizal fungi.

Also I'm fairly new to autos, I've run them before but only as a side line I've had a read on the auto section but am always keen for outdoor specific tips.

Edited by MindSoup
Adding info

Moorland Gold, RHS Melcourt Sylvagrow or fertile fibre. All organic, sustainable mediums etc. 

These soils alone you would need nutes after a few weeks or you could use soil amendments. Eco life cycle is a decent all in one amendment for this. 

Up to you really but I'd go with soil amendments so you only have to water! 

You won't find many potting mixes smaller than 40-50L though. But your Mum, bless her, may appreciate the leftovers as they're good for veg!

Edited by Nervous
  • Like 1

Great info thanks.

Nutes wise I was thinking a healthy pinch or 2 of blood fish and bone mixed in initially (i have loads of it) with the mf added then too. Then some seasol and molases if it starts asking for more later on. I think there's a big clump of Comfrey growing near my house so might make some tea from that. that's basically what i used to use out in the woods (if anything) do you think it will translate well to pots ? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with fish blood and bone, can be very hot and hard to start plants off with. 

Seasol and molasses are both good ideas. The best sounding one you've had is the comfrey from the woods. If you bash a load of it up in a bowl with a lot of molasses and leave it somewhere dark and cool for a week or two...you'll have juice you can squeeze out the leaf to use as a liquid feed and leftover comfrey to dig into the soil for longer term nutrition. Nettles, pulmonaria etc are great too. 

Piss and comfrey have gotten me through entire grows!

• Like 1

just seen the price of life cycle, if that is literally all i would need ill probably go with that tbh.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nervous said:

when you say sylva grow which one do you mean ? the potting mix or just the multipurpose  

• Like 1

Thanks mate got a bag of sylva grow and some eco life cycle on order. Hopefully give this little one best chance it can get

@Nervous The Ecothrive has arrived, it says on the pack about leaving the soil to heat up and cool down before planting, I guess like digging manure and stuff into a bed in advance to let it rot down. how long do you normally leave it before you plant your plants when using this stuff/if at all ? will the MF help the plant not worry so much about the "heat" 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

@Nervous The Ecothrive has arrived, it says on the pack about leaving the soil to heat up and cool down before planting, I guess like digging manure and stuff into a bed in advance to let it rot down. how long do you normally leave it before you plant your plants when using this stuff/if at all ? will the MF help the plant not worry so much about the "heat" 

I wet mine with some molasses and left it for a week, I usually cook soil indoors so that was enough. Cooler and it will take longer. 

I don't think you absolutely need to do it with Ecothrive though. I just wouldn't germinate seeds in it. 

Ok that should work out fine, I will germinate in plain compost soaked in willow water and mix up the large container at the same time so its ready for when I transplant. I've always grown in the ground until now and because my area is all heavy clay its all done well ahead of time to let the frost do its thing, never had to think about how long it takes to rot down/cook. I feel like this is gunna be one pampered little lady. Will have to resist the urge to fuss with her too much.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 6:05 PM, MindSoup said:

Ok that should work out fine, I will germinate in plain compost soaked in willow water and mix up the large container at the same time so its ready for when I transplant. I've always grown in the ground until now and because my area is all heavy clay its all done well ahead of time to let the frost do its thing, never had to think about how long it takes to rot down/cook. I feel like this is gunna be one pampered little lady. Will have to resist the urge to fuss with her too much.

Good luck with the grow mate.

I’m using eco thrive also, be interesting to see how you get on.