Let's talk Rockwool

Whambud

So just wanted to have a discussion about one of the most popular growing mediums.... Rockwool.

I've used this previously and it was working really well untill I ran into a few issues, algae and salt build up.I

I'm going to run it again as a buddy of mine is having a lot of success with it and I'm looking to switch back to it after using soil on my last few grows.

I was thinking about using enzyme's as well as keep it clean as a preventative.

I know keep it clean is generally for keeping tubing and hydro gear clean but I want to include it on my feeds because I need to keep the rockwool and roots as happy as possible to avoid issues I've ran into before.

Oh also we usually cover the tops of the pots in white plastic to block light on the cubes as we use 1cm x 1cm cubes that are similar to clay pebbles.

Basically looking for additional information on people who grow in rockwool and just have a general chat about it but I'm pretty sure I have a good idea on how to keep the medium nice this time round.

Cheers.

Going back to my nft days I used thick black corex to keep light away from my blocks and roots.  I guess there would be an arguement for black or white.  Each has it's own merits I guess.  But you don't want any light on there is what I'm saying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Going back to my nft days I used thick black corex to keep light away from my blocks and roots.  I guess there would be an arguement for black or white.  Each has it's own merits I guess.  But you don't want any light on there is what I'm saying.

I use that white plastic you can use on the walls you know what I'm on about!

I just need to keep it as clean as possible never used enzymes and keep it clean when in rockwool so I reckon it could have some benefits

Yep, that plastic should be light impervious.  Not sure what to suggest for keeping everything clean.  It's a great medium, roots seem to love it.

Good luck with it.

;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Yep, that plastic should be light impervious.  Not sure what to suggest for keeping everything clean.  It's a great medium, roots seem to love it.

Good luck with it.

;)

Hmm we shall see will keep you in the loop only recently started my thread so should have the full set up posted soon bro.

7 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

H202 and keep any organic out of it.

I've used that before to try sort out a root for problem I had in soil... I think it was too far gone and never recovered properly.

How did you use it and when?

• Like 1

I add it to the res and is used every feed m8, keeps things in check before any problems arise. Use at 1/3 rd strength with seedlings and up it as they grow to dosage stated on the bottle. Silver Bullet is said to be good may be worth a go.

Toke...

• Like 2

Will keep my eye out for your diary bud.  Need to get a bit of work done on my own groom today and get off the bloody net!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tokenroll said:

I add it to the res and is used every feed m8, keeps things in check before any problems arise. Use at 1/3 rd strength with seedlings and up it as they grow to dosage stated on the bottle. Silver Bullet is said to be good may be worth a go.

Toke...

Cool!! Would you recommend using it with enzymes both at half strength? Because I know the enzymes break down the dead root mass or... Use each one every other week??? 

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Will keep my eye out for your diary bud.  Need to get a bit of work done on my own groom today and get off the bloody net!

Oh haha sorry for keeping you lol

What you growing and what medium do you use??

I've got three different types of sweet tooth regs on the go, including the fleur du mal bought direct from the site.  I'm growing in dirt.  No grow shops around so just went into my final pots which is Jack's magic and john innes no.3 blend.

;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I've got three different types of sweet tooth regs on the go, including the fleur du mal bought direct from the site.  I'm growing in dirt.  No grow shops around so just went into my final pots which is Jack's magic and john innes no.3 blend.

;)

Oh wicked man!!!

Im near the city so there's loads of grow shops round here.

They sound like some exquisite strains my friend

• Like 1

+1 for pretty much everything Toke had said, I run nft and use Silver Bullet Roots (half strength-ish) with every res change and have haven't had any issues yet. Wouldn't recommend mixing enzymes with h2o2 or alike, they'd just cancel each other out I reckon.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ranec said:

+1 for pretty much everything Toke had said, I run nft and use Silver Bullet Roots (half strength-ish) with every res change and have haven't had any issues yet. Wouldn't recommend mixing enzymes with h2o2 or alike, they'd just cancel each other out I reckon.

I'm not using a Rez...

Pots with tiny rockwool cubes and there hand watered... they resemble clay pebbles.

And just want something that's going to keep it all really clean. No germs, bacteria, salt build up or Algee.