Frosty mum in veg

BeardedBeardiae

Can't work out why she is doing this, it makes the tent smell nice but figure its not ideal. 

My 150w ara's are on 20.5 hrs and as high as they can go (not dimmable, approx 80cm from canopy). 

I have had a cutting off her recently and roots no probs, and then the trichs disappear. Also this is not across the whole plant. Mainly a few inches below the canopy.

large.IMG_20200406_173242.jpglarge.IMG_20200406_173518.jpg

Any ideas?

• Like 4

Hi mate, seen this before, happened to me quite recently with my OGKZ cuttings I took to keep as a mum. 

I think it has to do with the fact the plant you take the cut from is usually at the point of maturing and going into bloom, then the stress of re-rooting etc, being potted up.

In the past I have always managed to get it to go away, It can take 4-6 weeks though, but I'd suggest 24 hours light for a week or two. 

You can either leave it in under the 24 hour light cycle and keep picking off the flowers, or take a cut from a low point that's not doing it and re grow it to mother status. 

But you may get some odd growth for a bit, really thin skimpy branches. But they do go back to full on veg eventually. 

• Like 7

I have had this happen to plants before where no clones are being taken. I thought it was just known as "pre-flowering."  From what I have experienced personally, my plant was just very happy and couldn't  wait to get into bloom. Your plant in the pictures looks amazingly healthy! Can't imagine there is anything bad about this situation. Looks all good to me!  ;)  

• Like 2

Thing is @Lancaster8ive had her nearly a year and she only started showing these signs since Christmas, so figure something must have changed. I had been clipping her a fair bit but other than that no idea. 

Tbh there are enough trichs to make some hash, so will have a look to see if they are cloudy.

• Like 2

Thing is @Lancaster8ive had her nearly a year and she only started showing these signs since Christmas, so figure something must have changed. I had been clipping her a fair bit but other than that no idea. 

Tbh there are enough trichs to make some hash, so will have a look to see if they are cloudy.

• Like 1

Generally I've seen this in either plants that are rootbound, or are extremely photosensitive to any light changes. It's nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things but I have found plants that remain in this state for years increasingly difficult to clone successfully.

• Like 4

Trichomes are the plants way of protecting itself from too much light, particularly u.v. light hence why high altitude plants have more trichomes.

It's interesting you mentioned it's the top of the plant closest to the light affected.

She's maybe just a bit too close for comfort.

• Like 1
On 15/04/2020 at 4:02 PM, BeardedBeardiae said:

the auto in there

What cultivar?  Many plants that are more sensitive in this respect.  As lonestoner says, pot bound, light change (Cycle / intensity etc),  stress,  lots of things can contribute. You should be able to get back to normal growth by resolving these issues though. 

• Like 1

@Phoenix the light is as high as it will go approx 80cm from canopy. Strangely the highest parts are not as trichomey as the middle of the plant.

@Amarillo slim a Premier sweet from ugorg. Ssh x ?(cheese/blues) i think. Your words are reassuring as i ain't seen any change yet.

• 4 months later...

Just to update.

She didn't respond to 24hrs lighting alone(2 months), but I didn't get round to repotting her, and she really was rootbound so may well have responded positively.

I didn't keep her in the end as the high was a bit jittery.

Tasty weed though, i found some in my drying box that must have been in there for two whole drying cycles. Its was still sticky as fook and tasted lovely.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, BeardedBeardiae said:

Just to update.

She didn't respond to 24hrs lighting alone(2 months), but I didn't get round to repotting her, and she really was rootbound so may well have responded positively.

I didn't keep her in the end as the high was a bit jittery.

Tasty weed though, i found some in my drying box that must have been in there for two whole drying cycles. Its was still sticky as fook and tasted lovely.

Is it in a tiny pot for the size of plant ? got blueberry in it?

Yes it is @wifi-user if i was going to keep her i would have tried repotting as well as light duration adjustment, it must have been a factor. I was just putting a conclusion to the thread really.

Don't know if there's any blueberry in there....