Noob and polycarbonate?

vistulamiracle

Hi guys, 1st post here.

I've been reading the wealth of information for a while on here.

Ready to get involved with some autos and outside.

I was originally going to get a tough glass green house, 2 roof vents and extra 2 for the sides of the glass, with auto opens.

How ever trying to order one now is crazy with 8 weeks+ waiting times and more.

So that option is scrapped!!

My question is polycarbonate greenhouse, the double walled seem less conspicuous, will this do the job for me even though not the clear as glass version ?

They are less conspicuous, if they do the job it's a 3-5 days to get to me !

From what I've researched they seem ok ?

Any advice on this and any other pointers you have for my journey fell free to comment!

Or any other things I can buy to help 

Thank in advanced I will be making a diary and posting too !

Thanks 

I've got no experience of using one but if it's a greenhouse then that's it purpose isn't it ? Am I missing something ?

• Like 2

the poly carb ones are more likely to lose windows in a storm but they won't break so that's a plus, or you could get a cheap poly tunnel and put a decent skin on it, either way it will be fine

• Like 3

Got a polycarbonate gh last year.  The chances of the polycarbonate panes blowing out in a gale can be lessened considerably if you specify the bar capping which is a little more expensive.  Mine was fine during the ?three named storms over the winter. The double polycarbonate glazing (structure is like double skin / centrally corrugated cardboard, but waterproof, clear and stronger) provides some concealment (if that is useful to you) but any leaves up against the polycarb will be identifiable.  With plenty of auto-opening louvres and roof vents mine has not risen above 31c in the full sun all day today even with the door closed. The tomato, basil, chilli and squash plants I have in there now seem to be happy. 

Edited by Socksnsandals
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd update my comments of a couple of months ago with a picture to illustrate the relatively low stealth-giving properties of polycarbonate.  Although resizing the image to 85kb to upload makes it appear a bit stealthier than it is, any 420-aware peeps can see the form of the plants fairly clearly.  The small ones in the foreground are radishes, with a pre-flower Brugmansia in a pot behind to the R and a tomato to the L.  In reality the smell is more likely to be a problem.  The three autos in the photo have produced their first flowers and are large.Polycarbonate.jpgalready beginning to give a nice perfume inside but I expect that they will stink when bigger as one 2-3 foot high superskunk auto in full flower in the open garden last year (in my album on the site) could be smelt at least 10-20m away.  At the moment there is no detectable smell outside the greenhouse and all three (sensi superskunk, HSO lemon juice auto and stardawg) all smell much the same close up.  

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, Socksnsandals said:

I thought I'd update my comments of a couple of months ago with a picture to illustrate the relatively low stealth-giving properties of polycarbonate.  Although resizing the image to 85kb to upload makes it appear a bit stealthier than it is, any 420-aware peeps can see the form of the plants fairly clearly.  The small ones in the foreground are radishes, with a pre-flower Brugmansia in a pot behind to the R and a tomato to the L.  In reality the smell is more likely to be a problem.  The three autos in the photo have produced their first flowers and are large.Polycarbonate.jpgalready beginning to give a nice perfume inside but I expect that they will stink when bigger as one 2-3 foot high superskunk auto in full flower in the open garden last year (in my album on the site) could be smelt at least 10-20m away.  At the moment there is no detectable smell outside the greenhouse and all three (sensi superskunk, HSO lemon juice auto and stardawg) all smell much the same close up.  

The stink is always a cause for concern for me too all you can do is plant a few legal plants that stink around the garden to take focus off the greenhouse. A member here mentioned hanging some red baubles off them to mimic tomatoes cheeky but probably works 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ignatius_j_Reilly said:

The stink is always a cause for concern for me too all you can do is plant a few legal plants that stink around the garden to take focus off the greenhouse. A member here mentioned hanging some red baubles off them to mimic tomatoes cheeky but probably works 

Thanks for the reply! 

Yeah they somewhat hide what's in there but when in flower if you know you know ha!

I'm 9 weeks in now, and all seems well.

I started 8 off, all auto flowers.

I got rid of one clearing deformed or a runt! 

1 must be a photo as it's gone massive and dosnt want to flower ha! So shes just in the garden to see where she goes.

Il upload some photos today to show where I am on my 1st grow !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vistulamiracle said:

Thanks for the reply! 

Yeah they somewhat hide what's in there but when in flower if you know you know ha!

I'm 9 weeks in now, and all seems well.

I started 8 off, all auto flowers.

I got rid of one clearing deformed or a runt! 

1 must be a photo as it's gone massive and dosnt want to flower ha! So shes just in the garden to see where she goes.

Il upload some photos today to show where I am on my 1st grow !

That happened to me before too with an auto flower going photo on me it took a bit longer to finish but yielded more so happy days. Hopefully you will get good weather for your girls to pack on the weight